A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another sock swap?  (Read 684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: July 29, 2008 06:38:23 AM »

Would anyone be interested in doing another sock swap?  I keep wanting to do the sockapalooza 5, but it seems to have stalled (haven't seen an update since May).  I'm not sure if we should all do the same pattern, or have partners do the same pattern, or just have it all a choice.  Also, I have no idea how long it would take me to make a pair of socks, so someone with a time frame would be helpful, too.  Smiley

Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 09:36:02 AM »

Hey, sock knitters...where are you??  Huh

I would be super interested in this idea but am, unfortunately, off the swaps indefinitely. Too many family obligations and not enough spare time. Sad

If you think about it though, sock swaps should be the perfect thing for knitters as socks are relatively cheap to make (and to ship) and they can be worked up fairly quickly (depending on your pattern, of course)! I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008 11:50:36 AM »

Any specific yarn weight?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
Muria
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 01:27:50 PM »

Something that makes nice socks?   Smiley   I think it would be difficult to specify a yarn weight if  it turns out people would like to make different socks. I actually used extra bulky yarn to make slipper socks for my daughter, but I was thinking of something thinner than that personally (which still leaves a lot of range, of course).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 06:13:42 PM »

I was just thinking that a sock swap would be a *great* post holiday swap.

Anybody want to do one after the first of the year? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
auntiem
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008 11:04:41 AM »

I'm madly knitting socks for xmas presents, but a swap where we exchange yarn and pattern(s) and maybe a crafted item to help in knitting socks would be fun - like a sock knitting kit or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayrun
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008 06:46:14 PM »

I'm madly knitting socks for xmas presents, but a swap where we exchange yarn and pattern(s) and maybe a crafted item to help in knitting socks would be fun - like a sock knitting kit or something.

I would be up for this type of swap - - I'm so timid about my sockmaking skills that I'd be AFRAID
to make them for a swap partner....suppose they came out the wrong size?  disaster!
LOL
Now I am sure I could make a mini-sock for a magnet without too much stress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008 08:50:38 AM »

It might be a nice swap right after the holidays.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it, though - my wrist has been seriously bothering me.  I am attempting to relearn how to knit holding the yarn in my right instead of left hand, but it's been slow going, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make a time limit.  I'm definately not going to be using anything lighter than worsted! 

Of course, if we were doing the kit, before the holidays would be nice as I have been trying to knit socks for a few people (yeah, I am pretty dang insane, attempting to knit multiple pairs of socks with wrist problems -- but at least I started early this year!). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace
  swap info
kell
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008 08:56:54 AM »

I would be up for this type of swap - - I'm so timid about my sockmaking skills that I'd be AFRAID
to make them for a swap partner....suppose they came out the wrong size?  disaster!
LOL
Now I am sure I could make a mini-sock for a magnet without too much stress Smiley

You really don't have to be afraid of them not fitting.  As for the width, it's stretchy, and will pretty much fit anyone.  As for the length, usually you just knit two inches less than their foot lenth, then start the toe. 

Of course, it is funny to call up random people in your family and ask them to measure their foot for you (there are charts on the internet where you can get their length from their shoe size, but the feet I've checked against it haven't been too accurate). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace
  swap info
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VMA Fashion Throughout The Years
Favorite Moments in Fashion Week History
Afro Punk Street Style
Best Skinny Jeans for Fall 2012
Apparel Tips for Looking Great In Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...