A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weird Body Help with Pattern Alteration  (Read 339 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

debrr
« on: July 29, 2008 01:07:06 AM »

I am trying to make a very simple semi-fitted slip dress. McCalls 7443, View D [http://www.karensvariety.com/SEWINGCLOTHES/McCalls/M7443.htmI]
I have never made many clothes because I can never seem to make them fit right. Fitting just seems too overwhelming to me! If you change one thing then you have to change something else and so on and on. I have a wedding to attend in Sept. and don't have the time/patience to figure these alterations out.
Does any one know if you can hire a dressmaker to help you make pattern alterations? Any suggestions on how would I go about finding someone like that in the Phoenix area?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 07:35:00 AM »

Does any one know if you can hire a dressmaker to help you make pattern alterations? Any suggestions on how would I go about finding someone like that in the Phoenix area?   Huh

My mother used to teach sewing and also she would help customers make a "sloper" (basic garment without any details that is then used for pattern making/altering/fitting) and teach them how to use it. I'm sure there are other teachers that do the samething - maybe they don't advertise they do that but they might be willing to if asked.

How to find that person is a little more difficult. Some possibilities: ask at fabric stores (if the person sews/teaches a lot they are in the stores often and probably make friends with the employees), "maricopa county extention office" has classes (look under calendar) (maybe not what you want but they could hook you up with the teachers), check for "sewing guilds" (ASQ-Phoenix Chapter)go to a meeting or call someone associated with the guild (they will know if any members do that sort of thing).

PS - the link is not working but it looks like that site sells mostly "vintage" patterns. If most of your trys have been vintage patterns you should know that is going to add to fitting problems because people aren't shaped the same as they were in the past  Smiley.

ETA: links
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008 07:44:16 AM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
debrr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008 10:37:23 AM »

Hello Elijor!

Thanks for such GREAT suggestions! I will definitely be checking all out.

Maybe, just maybe, I would be able to sew garments! I am very excited at the idea of this.

Thank you,thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008 08:38:35 PM »

you might also check craigslist.org and search or post for sewing help. 
If you lived near me, I'd help!
Lee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caramel-Mascarpone Apple Recipe
How to Make Strawberry Pie and No-Heat Strawberry Jam
How to Make a Coca-Cola Granita
How to Make Healthy Banana Oat Cookies
Easy Cotton Candy Fudge Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...