A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie here trying to get ideas on what to make  (Read 413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pino_i
« on: July 28, 2008 11:16:29 PM »

Grin
Hi I'm a newbie and i just got my very first sewing machine about 3 weeks ago. i have never sewn and wanted to get ideas on what to make. I already made 4 pillows and I'm stumped on what else to make. I want to do easy stuff first before i get into making Lil dresses for my daughter or clothing for myself. Any ideas you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 05:55:42 AM »

totes, little wallets, purses/bags in general.
A blanket (kinda like a quilt, where you have a bunch of little squares sewed together, minus the whole actual QUILTING part of it lol)
ummm...headbands?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008 07:21:59 AM »

If your ultimate goal is to make clothing I think you should go ahead and get to it. If you start with a simple lil dress for your daughter you will surely end up with something she can wear. Maybe not the perfect dress up occasion but at least something she can play in.

I highly recommend you start with a pattern from one of the big four companies. If you start with something labeled easy and check to make sure the garment doesnt have too many pieces you should be fine. All of the childrens clothes in Simplicity Its So Easy and McCalls Easy Stitch N Save lines look doable (fitted puffy sleeves are a little more work than sleeveless or raglan sleeves otherwise everything looks fine). The advantage to starting with a pattern vs a tute is you will learn the basics of construction (order thing should be sewn together and such), sewing techniques, and terminology. These things will help you in the future if you move on to more advanced patterns, tutes, or designing/altering/adapting patterns/clothing on your own.

If you dont want to start with a pattern you can check the childrens clothing board for tutes. The first thread on that board lists tons. Vegebees peasant blouse would be a good one to start with. Her tutes have been used by a lot of craftsters and it seems everyone has had great success. That page also has links to all her other tutes. Another popular tute is cheytowns   button shirt to toddler dress recon. It has been done by many and there is even at least one adult version of it.

Other tips:
If you are working with a pattern read all other the instruction, even those paragraphs before the actual instruction actually start (at least the first couple of times then you can skim for the info you need). They tell you things like the seam allowance and what the symbols mean.

Make sure you get the right fabric if it is designed for knits and you make it out of woven they are likely to be problems (like it wont stretch to fit onto the body). If it is suppose to be a drapey fine cotton and you use heavy/stiff denim it is not going to look the same.

Pattern sizes and ready to wear sizes dont correlate. Measure her body and check the pattern. Most patterns have more ease than is popular right now so the clothing is likely to fit loose unless you actually measure the pattern pieces. Children grow quickly so itll be OK and you will get the hang of it with practice.

Seam allowance and pressing as you go (the patterns dont usually tell you that) are very important.

Use inexpensive fabric to start you wont be worried about the waste. Dont use such cheap fabric that it is of very poor quality and difficult to use. You will get frustrated and end up hating the process (recycled sheets are often a good choice). Even after you get good making a mockup in inexpensive fabric is a good idea for very fitted or detailed clothing.

Use the best tools you can afford. The process will go better and you will enjoy yourself and want to continue learning. Poor quality tools are difficult to work with and lead to poor quality products and frustration.

If you get stuck do a search here on craftster (particularly if it is a tute listed here) and if you don't find the answer you need start a new thread and ask for help. Someone has had that problem before and will jump on and help you out. Any advice penelow gives is golden - pay attention to it. Also sometimes, particularly with actual patterns, you just have to trust the instructions and do what it says (this is especially if you are a visual learner), then once completed you will say "ah - so that's what it meant".

WOW I wrote a book hopefully it is helpful. Can you tell I am procrastinating laying bathroom flooring  Roll Eyes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008 04:41:26 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Thank you so much for all the great ideas and info. last weekend i did go to Joann Fabrics and looked at some simplicity patterns but wasn't sure if i should just jump in and try it. But thank you so much everything is very helpful. And the link for the shirt to Lil girls dress OMG how adorable. I would have never thought pf it. I can't wait to get my hands a Lil dirty. And when i get better at this i would LOVE to do a swap. I was looking through those and can't wait to do some swapping... Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008 05:49:44 PM »

HI Everyone, I wanted to give you a little update. i just got back from the store and bought fabric and a simplity pattern. Can't wait to make it and see how it turns out. I will post pictures as soon as its done. Thank you all for your help and advice. Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
8 Essential Wardrobe Pieces That You Need No Matter Your Age
How to Rock the Sneaker Trend
The Best Swimsuits for Curvy Bodies This Summer
How to Wear Co-Ords
How to Cuff Boyfriend Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...