A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: **Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes from Ticketmaster this month!  Enter now through MAY 20.  Good luck, Craftsters!!
Total Members: 309,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Catheteresque" Coffee Urn Lamp  (Read 43683 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jamby
« on: August 03, 2003 10:32:34 PM »

This lamp will add a nice institutional feel to any room of your home. ­Alternately, you can keep it at work like I do. ­Imagining myself an artist, I expected my coworkers to thrill at its irony, to participate in its anger, and to walk away mournful of the human condition and subconsciously scarred. ­Instead, most coworkers think it's cute. ­You decide.

Here's what you'll need:
  • An old coffee urn.
  • A light kit, or a fixture, cord, and all the other stuff salvaged from another lamp.
  • A shade

There are only two tricks to making a lamp out of just about anything. ­First, you have to find a way to mount the light fixture. ­Here, just drill a hole in the top of the lid. ­And second, you have to find a discreet (or indiscreet!) place for the cord to exit. ­I was going to drill another hole at the bottom, in the back, but the spout just seemed better.

• Take it apart.
    Use a screw driver to remove the handle from the lid. ­Remove everything from the inside of the urn. ­Mine had a strainer and other stuff in there. (Anyone have any ideas for what to do with it?) ­Remove the spout at the bottom. ­This may require a socket wrench.

• Clean it.
    It's easier now than later.

• Start at the bottom.

Take apart the spout. ­Run the cord through and reattach to the urn. ­ I had to use pliers to pull out a rubber stopper so the cord could fit through.

• Drill
    Light fixtures are standardly mounted on something called a threaded nipple. ­There should be one of these in your light kit, or you can get one at a hardware store. ­Drill a hole through the lid just wide enough or slightly wider than the threaded nipple. ­I had the guy at the hardware store do this for me because I couldn't find my 3/8 drill bit. ­Secure the threaded nipple to the lid with threaded nuts (find them in the same part of the store). ­

• Attach the fixture
    Attach the harp (the thing that hold the lampshade), then the fixture, drawing the cord through. ­Wire the socket. ­You can find helpful instructions at

http://www.engin.hope.edu/~krupczak/Labs/Electricity_Lab/Electricity_new.htm

If that link dies, do a web search for "wire lamp socket," or check the back of the light kit, or study another lamp. ­Basically, you want to split the end of the cord, strip the wires, wrap them around the screws, and tighten the screws. ­Use an underwriter's knot to keep the cord from getting pulled out from below. ­There's a picture at the link above.

Add a compact flourescent bulb and an ulgy blue shade and you're done. ­If anyone can figure out how to make the spout lever a switch, let me know!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:08 PM by -1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bumblev

Happy Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003 05:12:36 AM »

I absolutely love this idea! Mental note: add old coffe pot to thrift store list.

V
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designed to Plant a Smile!
http://www.gerberadesigns.com
Cantabrigian

Craftsters have more fun.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003 05:49:07 AM »

I bet you could raid just about any church and find a couple of these rusting in a closet or basement, too.

This is a truly fine lamp, even inspired. And with all the picturesque "catheteresque" and "threaded nipple" talk, maybe these would sell at local punk craft fairs  Wink
artzyfartzy
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003 04:57:35 PM »

i love it too! oh I am a coffee addict.. old and new.. this would be a great accessory for my home! thanks for the inspiration!!  Smiley

DeborahM

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003 09:01:48 PM »

That is just plain too cute!
For those of you that need pictures,there is a good 'how to wire a lamp' article on the Martha Stewart site(I know eveil bt hey,gotta get it where it's at!)in the crafts section.
Mona_Mew

~ kisses to all! ~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003 10:51:26 AM »

Another hit!  Love it, love it!  I have seen many a cute coffee urn in my thriftshop travels but never had a use for one... until now!  Wink

oregoncoastgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003 06:06:19 PM »

excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

this is my real life, right?
Silence
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003 08:50:07 AM »

Cute idea!

Might I suggest you replant your little plant in a coffee mug? Wink

Smiley
Chris
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamby
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003 06:46:14 PM »

Cute idea!

Might I suggest you replant your little plant in a coffee mug? Wink

Smiley
Chris

You are brilliant!  Must do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suppafly
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003 06:41:29 PM »

­If anyone can figure out how to make the spout lever a switch, let me know!

Try a small toggle switch from radioshack..  make sure its rated for AC.. if you can't fit a small one in it, you could try a large on with one of the black plastic tabs that would replace the spout lever.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F006&Page=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Guide: Smudged Eyeshadow
Oscar-Worthy Tips from LupitaÔÇÖs Makeup Artist
Mascara Product Review: Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara
A Youthful, Flirty Makeup Look to Refresh Your Style
How Highlighting Can Transform Your Everyday Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...