A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: to knit or to crochet this bag says do both  (Read 7437 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2008 03:23:22 AM »

My youngest sister just had twins, so I am planning a visit down for a bit.  I decided I really needed a functional project bag to take along with me as combined I'll be spending roughly 20 hours in airports and on planes and countless hours as a passenger in a car over the next month. 

I've had absolutely zero desire to sew but I had a small bit of inspiration strike and I went with it.  The bag is far from perfect in aesthetics but it will suit the purpose I need it to perfectly.  I apologize for the craptacular photos but lighting stinks at 3 am lol!

From straight on it looks like a pretty normal bag I think

The straps fold down on both sides to reveal bits that look like this (the other side is slightly different but not enough to bore you with the details)

For the crocheter in me, this side features pockets to suit all my hooks and another pocket behind that that has room to fit a book or a magazine and a notepad.

The opposite side is for the knitter in me, with plenty of space for all my DPN's and a small clear ruler for checking gauge on the go.  There is another pocket behind the flapped section that you can't see in the photo here but it's roomy enough for a small project or as space for more magazines and/or books

To keep everything secure on the go there are two clasps on the ends

and inside it opens up to reveal 4 zippered yarn compartments with large eyelets to keep everything nice and tidy, along the bag bottom there are two zippered compartments for holding all the little tools that you always need (see the detail shot of that pocket below) and the other pocket I made just the right size to hold my wallet and a little cash so that I can ditch carrying a purse while going through airports

and the detail shot

whew! that was a lot to get out.  I'll be thrilled to try it out as I travel this time and see if it works 'in the real' as well as I decided it would in my head! 

Comments are always appreciated!

Edit:  I actually travel quite a bit and if you ever have concern about what you can and cannot travel with be sure to check out http://www.tsa.gov  website they have all the most recent and up to date info for travellers and not to worry knitting & crochet hooks are ok once again.  Smiley

I also want to apologize, I didn't realize that 'no desire to sew' could be misconstrued as not a seamstress the past 8 months or so everything I"ve sewn has turned to crap so I have done very very little of it but I've been sewing most my life Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008 02:26:48 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
tatteredspider

the things I do, I do for love...or craft money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008 03:38:42 AM »

HOLY CRAP! Gotta tell ya, for someone who isn't a big sewer, you've got mad sewing skills Grin. I'm seriously impressed and am inspired to sew up my own project bag. Goodness knows, my knitting is everywhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The voices in my head tell me I'm normal, but what the hell do they know?

Shop: http://tsholeinthewall.etsy.com
Rants: http://tsholeinthewall.blogspot.com
Wishes: http://wists.com/tatteredspider
melmakespretty
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008 04:07:56 AM »

This bag is awesome. You should seriously consider taking orders!
The fabric is fantastic too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008 05:26:06 AM »

OMG that is fantastic!!! If it works out as well as it looks like it will- you should consider selling your pattern for it... it came out really well!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 05:28:00 AM »

For someone who had no desire to sew, you did a fantastic job.  I'm jealous. I want a bag like that too.  I can't tell you how many times I lose one of my double points while I'm turning a heel on a sock or something.  I always find it eventually -- usually between the couch cushions or under a chair -- but if I had a bag like yours, I'd have a place to stow them.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
stacijane
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008 05:59:55 AM »

This bag is the coolest!  Great design and craftmanship.  The idea for the yarn pockets with the grommets is genious. I agree that you should try to market the patten for this!

On another note, I hate to be a party-pooper but maybe you should check with the airports to make sure you can bring knitting needles and scissors onto a plane.  I hav eno idea because it has been a long time since I have flown, but I have heard that they have a very long list of "forbidden" items.  It would be horrible to get your beautiful bag confiscated at airport security!

At any rate - the bag is fantastic and I'm so jealous of your awesome skills!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008 06:04:47 AM »

fantastic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008 06:10:02 AM »

I'm sitting here looking at your bag saying "She doesn't SEW?"  and "OH MY GOSH!!!".  I am SO IMPRESSED!!!  That is a wonderful bag!!!!!!!  Excellent job!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008 06:13:27 AM »

Fantastic!!  I love all of the details-- different pockets, grommets, zippers, etc.  It's great!
I have to agree with Stacijane, though.  When I heard you were planning on taking this on a plane, my first thought is that they won't let you.  You could probably check this bag, but I don't think (I will admit, I don't know this for sure) that they will let you carry this on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Andi.Devine
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008 06:48:22 AM »

o.
m.
g.

its hard to type through all this drool on my keyboard.
this is so freaking fantastic!  my absolute favorite is the grommeted zipper pockets.  its just..  its genius.  have you had any difficulty in airport security?  ive not as yet, but i usually only have one or two hooks with me (to minimize loss if they were confiscated.)
this rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.   -Bokonon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Street Portrait
How to Create a Studio Portrait
How to Set up a File Structure for your Images
How to Use Lighting in a Studio
How to Create an Equipment Check List
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...