A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Social Stigma of Public Display of Knit-fection  (Read 14487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedhairedSunset

She's so sexy.Look at her body language.All verbs!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2008 11:31:27 PM »

So I thought this was an interesting story that fellow Craftsters would find amusing.

I went to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight on opening night (if you haven't seen it yet do so now, put down your knitting needles and grab your keys this very moment). Wanting to ensure excellent seats, my darling boyfriend and I got there an hour early. I planned for such a wait by bringing along a scarf I am working on. Well, due to incompetence on the theater employees part at 1:00 am the movie still hadn't started.

Obviously other movie-goers were getting frustrated many got up and left. One guy in front of me stood up to voice his aggravation and saw me, with my charcoal yarn and blue needles. Upon seeing this he exclaims "She's knitting!! You're knitting?? like really??"It was part shock and part disbelief. He was completely aghast that I had resorted to such "desperate measures" A few people turned around and asked some questions ("What are you making? How far done are you? Are you taking requests?) by 1:30 I was chatting with them.

But I couldn't help but think about whet Debbie Stoller said in her book, about people being embarrassed to knit in public. So I pose the question: Are you embarrassed? If so Why?

Hope you enjoyed my little story, looking foward to seeing what you have to say. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008 03:40:50 AM »

I'm not embarrassed but it does seem to attract attention which I hate. One, I'm shy. Two, last time I was desperate to finish some hand applique I took it to the orthodontist and ended up spending 45 minutes showing to a quilt enthusiast and not getting a stitch done. Arrggghhh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008 06:00:19 AM »

Not embarrassed at all.  I knit in the movie theatre, in class, on the bus, on the train... if I've been there I've probably knit there (with the exception maybe of restaurants...)

No need to be embarrassed, some people just don't know how to knit making them jealous so they say stupid things to those of us enlightened enough to knit in public. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
knittinginnowhere
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008 06:43:18 AM »

Not so much embarrassed as not always wanting to deal with all of the questions. Sometimes when you knit you just want to be left alone and just focus on that, but with people around that can be near impossible.

I still kip though, just not as often as I'd like. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be a sheep, join the conga!
ViciousBleu
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 02:05:22 PM »

I just had my first ever embarrassing moment with knitting in public.

Normally, I don't care....except yesterday at the coffee shop when a little old knitter lady with her grandkids asked me about my project. It was an intarsia hat I was knitting inside out so that I could hide the pattern but she was curious and kept asking to see it, especially since she found out it was a gift for my mom.

So reluctantly, I turn out my project sheepishly displaying the chart I designed of skulls and in big, bright pink letters: C*NT....just not so censored.

I awkwardly launch into a "my mom's really into woman's rights and she thinks we should stop being afraid of this word and....gender studies...and stuff" but she was shuffling away wondering what my mother ever did to me that I would put this much money and time into calling her names.  Roll Eyes

Of course, I tell this all to my mom who told me that I need to learn to stop being such a 'girl' and if I'm ashamed to knit this word then in a way I'm ashamed to be called it and therefore ashamed of my body....or something. Either way, I got PWNd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doctor Steel for World DominKNITion!
www.toysoldiersunite.com
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008 02:08:52 PM »

I didn't get the impression that the guy was upset you were knitting, but was saying along the lines of "We've been waiting so long this girl has practically finished an afghan!" 

I tried to knit in public once.  I messed up all my stitches so I haven't tried it again.  I'm not embarrassed or anything but the attention I need wasn't there.  I've knitted in the car with some success.  I'm looking forward to the day I can knit anywhere.  I hate "just sitting there"  At home I'm usually doing a minimum of 3 things at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008 02:36:51 PM »

ViciousBleu, that is the best story, bar none, ever.  And your mom reminds me of the mom of a friend of mine, who'd say the exact same thing. 

I knit in the park on my lunch break, and when it's too hot, I stay in and knit in the office.  A friend of mine and I are planning, once school starts (for our respective husbands) to meet and knit at a local coffee shop that's midway between our (rather distant) homes.  I don't expect anything except perhaps mild curiosity.  I wouldn't do anything too complicated out, just because I like to chat, and would get distracted.  My husband hates it when I knit when we're out, but I hate it when he plays with his DS, so we're even, and those things stay home when we're together.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
ni
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008 08:52:02 PM »

I was sitting in the shade of a tree on my university campus at the end of last school year knitting a scarf and an orientation/tour group walked by. I could tell that none of the high school seniors were listening to what the guide had to say and I even overheard one girl even asked the guide what I was doing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
adirtyspoon
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008 10:06:39 PM »

I'm not embarrassed, I'm just amazed at the stupid questions and comments I get.

"Oh look she's knitting, isn't that wasteful of your time? I mean like you could go buy it already made for cheaper?"

"That seems kind of pointless, all your doing is tying knots onto a piece of wood with string"

"your making a sweater with 6 balls of yarn that cost 9 bucks each!!! You could guy buy a sweater for like 20 bucks"

I hate stupid people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008 04:52:59 AM »

"Oh look she's knitting, isn't that wasteful of your time? I mean like you could go buy it already made for cheaper?"

I love these stories I keep hearing about people saying "I don't have the time" or "That's a waste of time" when they see someone knitting.  In the meantime, the person commenting is normally doing nothing!!  I guess I'd say something like, "Isn't just sitting there making rude comments MORE of a waste of time?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Take a Snapshot in the History Palette in Photoshop CS3
How to Turn On the Grid in Flash CS3
How to Unlink Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Default Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Erase Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...