A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summertime Bag. ADDED 8/22/2008 TUTORIAL (pic heavy)  (Read 6985 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugahoney
« on: July 27, 2008 08:21:33 PM »

I made this bag today for a friend. She picked out the fabric and I sewed it together. She said i could do whatever i wanted  Roll Eyes. (Instructions annoy me anyway)  I got my inspiration from some catalogs (urban outfitters, Alloy) lying around the house. Then I drew the picture and used the NewYork times newspaper to make the pattern ( I saw someone doing that on here, and I thought it was a great idea). I wish I could have been able to incorporate a zipper somehow but, I need more practice with zippers.

Anyhow enough talk...picturessss

Front.

Inside, It looks like a tropical forest in there  Cheesy. Love it

Side pocket. (Pocket inside a pocket)

Back view.

Detailing. I wanted to hide the stitching i did for the pocket so i cut a piece of the orange flowery fabric and sewed it on to make it look like a flower. I hope she likes it.lol. Gotta work on that next time Smiley

This came out blurry. Sorry.

Thanks for looking!!

TUTORIAL

EDIT
Caution: Im a still a novice when it comes to sewing .And mastering some of the terms will take more practice. So, with that being said if I mix up any of the terms, descriptions and or, so on I apologize in advance. Thank you.

Step1.
I created this pattern using newspaper, a ruler and a plate from the kitchen. The plate was used for all the curves you see here and the ruler was used for all the measurements. I used a yardstick.I have four different shapes;

1, Represents the front and back of the bag.
2, Represents the straps which I will be placing on the fold.
3, Is the larger of the side pockets.
4, The smaller side pocket.
And Im missing one more, which is the bottom and sides of the bag, you can use the strap for this but be sure to add a few more inches to it, I added at least 5. ( This will all make sense later)

In the insert I also included the materials that I have used to create this bag. Your interfacing could range from light to heavy. The lining that I have used is not shown in this picture but as youll see later its blue and it has poka-dots on it.

Step 2.
Now, fold the fabric into two ( Here is a great video from Threadbanger on youtube that describes what way your selvage should be facing and how your fabric should be folded if you dont already know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSZTHyCLyU) . Lay pattern down. Place pattern in place and cut. For the strap; place it on fold and cut. Then place strap on fold again, add at least 4 inches and then cut again (This will be that bottom for the bag I talked about earlier).

Step 3
This pictures show the pattern cut out. I used fabric shears. So you should have 2 of each including the straps. Here I made a mistake with the second strap I told yall to cut but I ended up adding the 4 inches later making one cut out longer than the other.

Step 4
Now youll be laying down the pattern on the lining and interfacing and cutting each one respectively. Note: that in the interfacing I have two straps, that was another mistake I made. I realized that I didnt need to put any interfacing in the hand-bag straps because they were already sturdy so I ended up disposing of that second strap. But dont forget the other strip will be used for the bottom of the bag.

Step 5
After cutting everything out, match each one with their pieces. The interfacing for each piece except the straps and lining.

Step 6
Now pin the interfacing to the fashion fabric and sew if you dont have an iron on interface. I inserted a close up.

Step 7
Now after pinning the fashion fabric to the interface straight stitch around each one accordingly. Your seam allowance should be less than a 3/8. Like I mentioned earlier you wont need to do this if you have an iron on interface. Dont worry about being too perfect because this part wont be sticking out, youll get what I mean later.

Step 8
Now put the fashion fabric aside and concentrate on your lining. I pinned the bottom of the bag to the front and back a sewed around. I used a 5/8-seam allowance. The curves might be a little challenging but remember to pin pin pin,

Step 9
The straps (ignore that strip of interfacing in the center, I later realized that I didnt even need it). I have a set of 4; 2 lining and 2 of the yellow fabric.What I have shown in the inserted picture is the already sewn straps. You will need to sew them like sewing a tube inside out.

Step 10
Back to the fashion fabric. I have sewn the front and back of the side pockets together. I hope the arrows describe this well enough.

Step 11
1-   Make your own bias tape and sew it together
2-   Both side pockets should look like this
3-   Now pin both side pockets together
4-   Then pin them to the front of the bag and sew them all together, use a 5/8 seam allowance.

Step 12
Now for the straps, you could be practical and measure the width apart or you could simply place them down and move them around until its looks good to you. If helps to place the front cutout on top of the back cut out so both hang the same. Now youll have to pin the straps down and when you sew each one sew a rectangle-like shape, be sure to leave at least 2 inches on the top of the bag because later on youll have to put the lining in.

Step 13
Pin the bottom of the bag accordingly. It was a lot more difficult that I presumed but thats because I was supposed to trim the interfacing. Oh well, a lesson learned. The inserted picture shows what you bag will look like when youre almost ready to put your lining.

Step 14
I skipped a few steps assuming that almost everyone knows how to put a lining in. This is basically when inside the bag looks like.Im still wary about putting a zip in.

Step 15
Here is the end product. I made the hanging straps smaller by simply folding it in to.It seems to look better this way.
Wow, this has been exhaustive. Thank you.

Step 16
Now model your bag on an unwilling subject

Step 17
Or, a willing one Wink

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 05:42:23 PM by sugahoney » THIS ROCKS   Logged
apbrenn
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008 08:29:34 PM »

This is gorgeous, i love the way you attached the straps, very creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loca4crafts
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008 08:38:43 PM »

Beautiful purse.  I'm sure your friend will love it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drrubina
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008 08:43:14 PM »

lovely looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindygert
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008 09:00:20 PM »

I love it! It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cindygert.com
www.cindygert.etsy.com

Please become a fan of cindygert on my Face Book page.
http://www.facebook.com/cindygert?ref=nf
butterlite
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008 09:04:47 PM »

Beautiful! What a great design! I wish you had taken pictures of you constructing it from the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008 09:09:35 PM »

That fabric is definitely summery! Brighter that a summer day! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
groooovy
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008 09:24:50 PM »

VERY CUTE!!!  VERY, VERY CUTE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugahoney
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 09:33:05 PM »

Thank you Cheesy

butterlite: Don't worry I'll try to take pictures of my newspaper patterns next time. LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugahoney
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 09:41:52 PM »

This is gorgeous, i love the way you attached the straps, very creative.

Thank you. I always use one strap but this time i decided to do something different...make it special. I got that idea from looking through the urban outfitters catalog. I noticed that most of their bags had two straps and some of these straps didnt start at the hem of the back but instead at the base. I found that interesting so i decided to try it. It was fun making the bag overall. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
5 Lifestyle Tips for December 2013
Top 5 Ways to Save Money on Beauty Products
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
C&C Try: Rosewater
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...