A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $0 cost quilt  (Read 861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

val`eria
« on: July 28, 2008 11:59:52 AM »

I decided to make my first quilt for my queen sized bed without any experience or anyone to help, and also without spending a dime....eeeks!

For the top I used up most of my scraps of cotton material I had. I prewashed everything and started cutting. So far so good. Then the sewing began. It's all different fabric, so I didn't need to worry about patterns. Two days later I had the top of the quilt mostly done. I'm just cutting out some solid colors to sort of frame the multi-colored patchwork.

Now to make it a quilt. I have a king size white flannelette sheet that I'd like to use for the middle, and another solid flannelette sheet for the back. Here's where I need advice. Should I add my border to the top, the start laying the three pieces togther and start pinning or basting? Or should I put the top and middle together, then add my border, then attach the back? I'm going on NO experience at all here. But, i'm lucky....I haven't spent a cent!! And the top turned out beautiful.

Any help would be lovely. (pics will follow when I'm done.... whenever that will be!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008 04:17:12 PM »

by border, do you mean binding?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008 11:55:37 PM »

Do you plan to quilt it or tie it?  (Quilting is stitching and the other is tying knots of string/yarn.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
val`eria
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008 01:28:33 PM »

Yea... I should have been more clear. By border I mean binding. I think I've decided to quilt the top and middle together (machine stiching, in straight lines, nothing fancy). Then add the back, using a sort of pillow case method... just sewing around the edges, right sides togther, turning it the right away and then sewing around the edges again. Then bind it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 03:15:20 AM »

If you are planning to have the back lose, then it is a bad idea.  The whole point of the quilting is to keep all the layers together and unmoving against each other for the lifetime of the item. 

2 methods:

1-Lay your sandwich down and baste it. Quilt it. Bind it. Rest.

2-Lay your sandwich down with the outside sides facing each other and the batt on top.  Baste it enough to sew it together. Sew around the edges except for a predetermined portion to "birth" the quilt through.  Straighten it. And tie it.  OR baste and quilt. Rest.

I've done both. What you pick depends on your needs.  The easier/faster one is the birthing method.   (BTW--there is also the quilt-as-you-go method, for future projects)

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008 08:26:44 AM »

Speaking from experience, it is REALLY hard to sew batting to a top, with either needle or machine....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Nail Colors For Fall
Why Trading Beauty Products Can Be Risky
Tips For Eye Makeup and Drugstore Products
Coconut Oil For White Teeth and Clearer Skin
New Ways to Wear Blue Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...