A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ... I've (potentially) made a huge mistake (not pre-washing fabric)  (Read 1863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008 10:24:11 AM »

I dont prewash either but I have a tip.

For the possiblity of dye running.

I use these things called dye grabbers.  They are like dryer sheets you put in the washer and it sucks any loose dye into it.  I wash my quilt for the first time using tehse and they work like a charmer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008 03:13:39 PM »

I am just about finished a quilt class and I asked this question and got the OH I dont wash mine ever! and I was like what?!? the one lady said if you treasure your quilts you dont wash unless you have to.. I was making my quilt to use. I guess these ladies only have it on for show. I dont usually bring my guest into my bedroom. haha..
Im going to see if I can find those sheets and wash mine in the machine when im done quilting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008 03:21:28 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Carbona-Dye-Grabber-1-Count-Pack/dp/B000NZXZQI

That's it and they are usually sold in the regular laundry dept ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008 03:23:07 PM »

thanks Ive never seen them before (in canada) but i'll take a look tomorrow when im out get groceries Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkybunnies

every little soul must shine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008 09:04:54 PM »

I've never pre-washed anything. I would just give it a quick wash and dry (cold water) before wrapping it up. I'm sure everything will be OK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GatsbyGirl
Not a Knitter

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008 06:07:26 PM »

I've always pre-washed fabrics before sewing ... until yesterday.

I'm starting on a quilt for friends who are getting married and had just returned from the fabric stores with nearly 30 1/4 and 1/3 pieces of fabric I'd gotten and was getting ready to go around the edges with my pinking shears so I could toss them in the wash. And, frankly, I was dreading the time-consuming project.

Later on the phone, I mentioned what I was getting ready to do to my mother who has quilted for over 30 years and she said, "Oh, I never prewash. It takes out all the sizing." Since we've always used the hell (and repeatedly washed) her quilts, I figured I'd skip that step this time and see how it works out.

One thing I've noticed already: the sizing in the fabric does make it so much easier to work with. Easier to measure, easier to cut, easier to sew.

When I do wash it after I'm done (because I'm of the quilts should be used, not just seen school) I will definitely try using the dye grabber sheets though since I have a lot of contrasting colors going.

Thanks to everyone who's mentioned them. I didn't even know such a thing existed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Twitter | Facebook | Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Handmade Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Felted Sheep
They Still Do That? Yarn Spinning
How to Make Valentine’s Day Cards With Kids
Edible Hanukkah Crafts Project for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...