A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit iPod Cozies  (Read 258477 times)
Tags for this thread: ipod , pattern , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LAWebChick

Death came on silver booties

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2004 10:15:17 PM »

I decided to combine a couple of the projects in my SNB book (finally found one - is every book store in Los Angeles sold out? Congrats to Debbie!) - I really love the felting on the marsupial, but I wanted a cozy for my iPod.

I used blue/green wool that I didn't much like after I got it home - pretty colors, but I didn't like the weight (worsted?) and it knit up into blocky weird splotches. So I garter-stitched a 4x16" rectangle, turned up 6", stitched up the sides, and tossed it in a lingerie bag and into the hot wash (x2) and cold rinse (x1).

Unfortunately, the length shrunk a LOT more than the width, so it was either going to end up too wide, or really a lot too short. But I wanted to check out the felting (I'm fascinated, I don't know why), and I wasn't happy with how not felted it was after rounds 1 and 2 in the washer. So I popped it in again for 2 more washes and one more rinse. Super tight!  But felted Smiley  So I stretched it, and pulled on it, and yanked on it, until it (barely) covered my iPod. And the color is much better, and much brighter than the pictures show.

I'm pretty pleased. My first non-scarf project! Still a rectangle, but I think I'm ready to graduate to Tank Girl.

So now to pick a button - any suggestions?
I'm thinking the button will be decorative, and I'll stitch a snap underneath. No velcro, though... velcro + dreads = potential pain Wink

http://www.nocturne.com/craft/cozy/cozy5.jpg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012 11:37:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sbub

I'm not a turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004 11:07:57 PM »

That is the coolest thing! i love the fact that you felted it.
I really think i'm going to give this felting thing a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joey
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004 05:22:42 AM »

Love it!  And what a fun idea, combo of low tech and high tech Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004 09:17:32 AM »

this is soo cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
tns
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004 01:32:32 PM »

i just made one of these, too!

yours looks better than mine, though.  there's something about your hape that i really like, though mine isn't much different.  i was thinking of trying to felt mine once more and re-block it.  i don't know what to expect outta that.

anyway!
great work!  and i like the swirly button that looks like it has creamy colors (hard to tell w/ my monitor) best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BREEZY
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004 02:50:26 PM »

That's really super!!! I love the idea of felting it. I saw that pattern in the SnB and was going to make it. Now I will definatly have to try making it, only your way! Anyways, looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LAWebChick

Death came on silver booties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004 07:47:06 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words - encouragement is so nice when you're new at something Smiley

I found out that felt in combination with an iPod is SLIPPERY and the pod slides right out of the cozy even if I just have it on the car seat & hit the brakes. I have to make darn sure I get that snap on soon, or I'm going to drop it right out of the cozy. Now I'm wondering if there's any way to have a buttonhole (or in this case, an earbud-cord-hole) in a felting project that won't felt closed during the process? The only thing I can think of is to bind it first with blanket stitch or something? That way I won't have to have the cozy open to use the iPod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004 07:53:50 AM »

I think it might be easier to make your ear-bud-hole after the project has been felted and fits your iPod exactly.  It might be hard to judge where it should be, before felting.  Embroidery floss might make a good-looking buttonhole binding!

Great looking cozy :)

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004 12:52:50 PM »

totally awesome

my bf got his ipod a few months ago... anniversary gift, here we come!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
cbradio
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004 01:10:43 PM »

This is pretty similar to the cell phone cozy I made last year, only mine wasn't felted.  I've been thinking about making a matching cozy for my palm pilot.  I love the way it turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 64 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Sci-Fi Alien Halloween Makeup
How to Do Sixties Retro Halloween Makeup
How to Do a DIY Facial
The Wildest Facial We Ever Tried
Leighton Meester Shares Her Favorite Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...