A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt  (Read 138450 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow , craftster_best_of_2008 , patchwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessicaaa
« Reply #580 on: August 19, 2011 10:27:46 AM »

must of taken a millenium to sew this! i love patchwork!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They call me the knitting nurse Smiley
schultebunny
~*~ Little Firefighter Girl ~*~

It's not a matter of size, but a matter of heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #581 on: September 02, 2011 10:11:01 AM »

AHHH!! I must have a skirt like this! I finally got a sewing machine, and I'm looking to make a skirt (I love the big, flow-y floor-length skirts like this!), and I totally want to know how you did this! I can cut 4x4 squares... easy... how do you "ruffle" the levels? Huh
EPIC SKIRT, you TOTALLY ROCK. Grin Grin Grin

*wisted*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Working on getting back into swaps after some crazy two years!~

Please help me with my "patchwork" station blanket! I would love to get fire department patches! Thanks!
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #582 on: September 02, 2011 10:36:28 AM »

schultebunny - I'm making mine currently, and you would make it just like any other "broomstick" or petti skirt.
Take your 4x4 squares, and sew them in strips that are progressively longer than the last, which creates your tiers. You can use a ruffle foot to ruffle before attaching them to each other, but I'm lazy & don't have a ruffle foot, so I just pin them together and do "cheater ruffles" as I go.
The accepted increase per tier is about 1.5.

This means that in a 10-tier skirt, if you start with a 45" band, you would need 12.5 squares. Round up to 13. Use 1/4" seam allowances like quilting. This would give you 45.5" to start with.
Tier 1: 13 squares
Tier 2: 20 squares
Tier 3: 30 squares
Tier 4: 45 squares
Tier 5: 68 squares
Tier 6: 102 squares
Tier 7: 153 squares
Tier 8: 230 squares
Tier 9: 345 squares
Tier 10: 518 squares

This would give you a fairly average size patchwork skirt without the extra ruffle on the bottom. For the last layer to have that extra frilliness, I used a 2x increase instead of 1.5, so in the above set, you would need 690 squares for the 10th tier.

There are tons of variatons on here, and the sew-along board for this has a couple linked in the first post, as well as lots of ideas from people who have completed variations on this.

The math for mine ended up being a bit more, as I opted for a 60" waist (I'm a big girl, and wanted this to fit a lot of people, even those bigger than me) The waist is usually elastic or drawstring to make it adjustable.

Good luck if you opt to make one! This is an epic project well worth all the time put into it, as well as the sheer weight of all that fabric when you're done. Swing on over to the sew-along as well, we'd all be happy to cheer you on as you go, or offer advice if you need Smiley linked in my signature....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutemonster
« Reply #583 on: September 07, 2011 05:46:30 PM »

This is so beautiful. I would never have that enough patience to do all that sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NulloModo
« Reply #584 on: September 23, 2011 11:32:44 AM »

I love this skirt! I really admire your patience - I would not be able to do all of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shalunya
« Reply #585 on: December 27, 2011 10:22:29 AM »

This skirt is sooooo amazingly beautiful.  I am getting married in April '12 and we are doing an entire day of fun and celebration like an old fashioned family picnic.  I am making a skirt like this to wear for all of the fun festivities before the wedding.  THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! This skirt is exactly what I was looking for on our special day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stickypixie
« Reply #586 on: January 31, 2012 09:03:43 PM »

Okay, I know this is from back in 2008, but I am just seeing this now, and I am OUTRAGED that ANYONE could criticize this beautiful skirt. I want to make it, and make it now. It is my new muse. It is beautiful  and wonderful in every way. I am ready and willing to speak reprimanding words to those that spoke ill of this wonderful thing. Ahhhh I love it so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robingoodfellow
« Reply #587 on: April 19, 2012 02:07:21 PM »

This skirt is AWESOME! So awesome in fact that I just created a craftster account to tell you how awesome it is.  That those around you chose to criticize it says something about them(and nothing nice given your effort that went into this skirt) and not about the skirt.   Believe in yourself and trust what you think, you make gorgeous things.  *hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2012 02:25:39 AM »

totally agree with everyone who says that this skirt rocks, that you did an amazing job, and that you should be SO proud of your achievement (don;t think I'd have the patience to cut the fabric, let alone sew them together!).

Those around you who made negative comments are just showing how ignorant they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swinneyswitch
« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2012 12:18:04 PM »

Cheesy  This skirt is gorgeous.  I showed it to my 14-year old granddaughter, Hannah and she loved it too.  Guess what, I'm making one for her and will post pictures when it is complete.  We both loved the fullness and although I told her it would be heavy, she didn't care.  That is what we both love about it.  Hmmmmmmmmm..I will probably make one for me a well.  Thank you so much for posting this and the tute.  You rock!  Linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear for Super Bowl Sunday to Look Chic
Our Favorite Lauren Conrad Outfits in Honor of Her 27th Birthday
3 Chic Ways to Wear a Sweater Dress
How to Sport the Checkered Trend Like Jessica Alba and Kristen Stewart
Cate Blanchett Is a Femme Fatale in Red Sequins
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...