A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt  (Read 140052 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow , craftster_best_of_2008 , patchwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beledi
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2009 01:29:42 AM »

I know this is totally redundant, but I love, love, love your skirt. I had a very similar experience actually and I was really happy to see your post. I made a circle skirt out of an unfinished quilt top. It was very colorful and vibrant and I left it floor length because I love the flourish of a super long skirt. Well, the first time I wore it out I was so proud and thought I looked amazing and my guy and I went out to eat and I overheard this couple making fun of my skirt. I wanted to go home and cry! But then I realized that the couple making fun of me was sitting there in grubby boring t-shirts and khakis and I thought, "Well, why would I care about impressing them anyway? I don't want to blend in with those types of people! I don't want to fit into the grubby t-shirt and khaki crowd! I want to stand out!" If I'm gonna spend a lot of time and effort making something, I want it to be a bit over the top and fantastic and head-turning. That's why if I'm gonna bake something it's gonna be caramel bread pudding and not grilled chicken breast and if I'm gonna sew something, it's gonna be something a bit over the top that makes people do a double take. There are lots of stores full of boring stuff that we can buy already. I say, if you put the time and effort into making clothing, make it a piece of art. The truth is, attention makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable, because they're insecure, and they don't want to be self aware. And then they even start to discourage other people from being self aware. So if someone scoffs at your skirt, what they're really saying, "I'll bet people will really notice you when you wear that skirt, and that would make me feel really uncomfortable because when people pay attention to me, it makes me self conscious, because I don't always like myself, and I'm scared of standing out. Even if it's positive attention."

Okay, I'm done with my rant. Here's my question: How exactly did you make the "belt" instead of the drawstring? Can you put up a pic? I wanna see how you did it!
Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indescript
I'd rather craft than go to work.

Woo-za!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2009 10:11:03 AM »

Sweetheart, I can't believe you would care a single second about any negative feedback someone gave you about this skirt. You made it because you love it. Just because not everyone would wear it doesn't mean anything at all. It's a huge accomplishment and a stunning one at that. If everyone stopped making things they loved just because they got some criticism for it, would there be any artists left? The wonderful thing about showing the fruits of your labor to people like us is that we understand exactly what went into making that one of a kind beauty and appreciate and respect it even if it's not something we'd wear ourselves. Your skirt is awesome, revel in your accomplishment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog at http://umikoart.blogspot.com and my Etsy shop at http://umiko.etsy.com Smiley
annieeggplant
« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2009 06:47:38 PM »

Oh my goodness - that is an amazing skirt!  I love it!!  I have always wanted to make on for myself, but I am no where near ready to take on something like that.

Put your skirt on, hold your head up high and twirl away knowing you made a totally kick butt piece of art.

My hats off to you.  You have inspired me to start collecting fabrics for my own.  I hope some day my skills will be close to yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pye
Too orangy for crows

Cg

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 05, 2009 07:57:57 AM »

I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so negative. I own a ridiculous skirt that is so huge (somewhat like yours but not near as colourful and pretty) that it nearly filled a room when I twiz. I like to twiz, and anyone who doesn't like it I feed to my eternal skirt. ;-)

I really want to try to make something like yours now. I'm in awe of it. I really bet it's fun to twiz in it. I'm going to collect bits of fabric now. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~
bookwormbethie
« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2009 08:32:45 AM »

this is the most beautiful thing in the world!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrettyPenguin
« Reply #415 on: May 05, 2009 08:54:54 AM »

This skirt is beautiful, wow! Who cares if it is impractical, it is beautiful, and I bet it is a lot of fun to wear. I would LOVE to have a skirt like that to dance in...I need to get myself a sewing machine!

Wondeful job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summretimes
« Reply #416 on: May 05, 2009 12:20:15 PM »

i just wanted to say that i love your skirt and that i really admire you for being able to make something that requires so much concentration, it's gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lefttoimagination.blogspot.com/
Computers are like air conditioners they work great until you open up windows.
diy-me-amy
Craftster God/Goddess

Until the end of time she goes her way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: May 06, 2009 01:16:10 AM »

the skirt is beautiful..great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A style from your mind is a fashion statement from you!

Blog:
http://www.vamp-in-da-house.blogspot.com

Polyvore:
http://diymeamy.polyvore.com/

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SpAgDavid
nikschaf
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2009 01:30:16 PM »

That skirt is absolutely stunning.  I know that's been said before, but I had to put in my two cents' worth too.  The colors are so amazing and vibrant!  What beautiful work.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I'm thinking if you pulled it up over your bust and belted it it could also make a really stunning strapless summer dress!  I'm imagining with the circle skirt and a belted waist, it might even have a very retro 50's silhouette.  I could just imagine you wearing it as a strapless dress to a summer wedding.  Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2009 08:58:48 PM »

Oh my wow, it is so pretty!
you did an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mikey Likes It!
John Besh’s Grandmother’s Fried Chicken
Whole Wheat Waffle Recipe
How To Make Cheesy Beef Pizza
How To Make Gluten Free Flatbread
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...