A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft felt in Boston area?  (Read 1396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hydrangea
« on: July 26, 2008 11:19:16 PM »

I'm looking for someplace T-accessible in Boston/nearby where I can get craft felt squares (the acrylic 9"x12" kind). I used to get these quite easily at Joann/Hobby Lobby/etc., but now that I've moved to Boston and am without a car, I'm stumped. Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whimsytaylor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008 09:45:02 AM »

The only advice I can give you is that it will require the T AND taking a cab. 2 summers ago I lived in Cambridge. From Cambridge, it's a fairly short cab ride to either Michael's, ACMoore, or JoAnn's.

I currently live in Stoughton, and there's both Michael's an ACMoore within very close driving distance, and JoAnn's not much further. The commuter rail comes directly into Stoughton, about 2 blocks from where I live.....but alas there's no trains over the weekend. I was thinking you could come here and I will gladly take you to any or all 3 stores, and back to the Stoughton train station.

Trains do run all weekend to Canton and Sharon, though, and they are a short drive from my house.

hmmmmmm, is there a way to contact me directly through craftster??

I'll check back for your reply....maybe we can work something out...I would love to help you and understand the craft store blus in Boston proper.

Let's figure out how I can help you.....

WhimsyT
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwithsixarms
Epic Flail!

Endurance Knitter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 07:56:19 AM »

The only place I know of is Playtime in Arlington - it might be a bit of a hike, but it's definitely T accessible by the 77 or 79 bus, both of which will leave from a few different Red Line stations (Alewie, Havard, Porter)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's probably something deeply wrong about using superglue in bed, but I don't care 'cause I'm a rebel.

Blog? What Blog?
Shoppin' the Swap
whimsytaylor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008 12:27:15 PM »

I just discovered several fabric stores in Boston, as listed on maps.google.com. go there and type in Boston. This brings up a map of Boston. Zoom in. Click on any blue M that designates a T stop. This pops up a window where you can click on the words "search nearby". type fabric in the search box.

Winmill Fabrics is over in the Chinatown area at 111 Chauncy St.
Fabric Place is at 399 Boyloston.
Fabric Corner is at 253 Newbury St.

Hope this helps.

Otherwise, you're going to have to take the T and a cab, or resort to online ordering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whimsytaylor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008 01:23:50 PM »

Here' another option. I read this in another thread in this forum......Boston/Cambridge Fabric Stores...

calicoon suggested Zimman's in Lynn. You can take the Newburyport/Rockford Line Commuter Rail out of North Station, to Lynn. 2/10ths of a mile from the Lynn Station is Zimman's. calicoon says this about Zimman's:
"I know it isn't in Boston or Cambridge, but Lynn is accessible by bus, and by rail (?) There is a great old fabric store there....um...Zinma n's? that my friend and I used to go to when we lived there. I bought some beautiful blue marbled-look cotton for curtains, so it had to have been cheap"

Zimman's Inc
80 Market St
Lynn, MA 01901

(781) 598-9432

http://boston.openguides.org/?Zimman's_Inc

http://www.zimmans.com/index.html

To see all the suggstions for fabric stores in Cambridge that are accessible by T, check out the entire thread:
Craftster Community > CITY GUIDES FOR CRAFTSTERS > UNITED STATES > Massachusetts > Boston/Cambridge Fabric Stores?

Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue engine
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008 01:34:39 PM »

Maybe you've already got your felt by now, but in addition to the fabric stores mentioned above, Pearl Arts and Crafts in Central Square (Cambridge) has craft felt. It's down in the basement, I think you'd turn left at the bottom of the stairs to find it.  Good luck trying to get one of their preciously tatooed love-child employees who seems so embarassed to be found in a "craft" section to help you in any substantive way, but the store is very convenient to the T (red line) and other fun places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coffy or bouncy, it's all the same at the bottom of the river.
hydrangea
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008 07:23:13 AM »

I was away from this board longer than I thought, because of my move, and then my internet installation was delayed! But thank you for all the help. Whimsytaylor especially, thanks for the offer to get together, that's very kind. I have had to hold off on my crafts a little while because of the settling in Sad but maybe soon I can begin my quest to learn the local craft places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarahland
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 12:26:08 PM »

I have bought craft felt from both Winmil Fabrics (which someone already mentioned) or Windsor Button - which is by the red, green, orange and silver bus line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches for a Crowd
National Ice Cream Day to Match Your Mood
How To Make Extreme Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream
Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Easy Fruit Crumble Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...