A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: License Plate Purse (Now with a Tutorial)  (Read 51288 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , license_plate , license_plate_purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2008 08:34:45 PM »

that is so sweet; could you make a tute? or direct me, and others, to where we could learn how to make one?

i am going to make a tute the next time i make one of these purses. i will be makin one sometime this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2008 09:13:35 PM »

Gorgeous bag!  You (& your father) did a fabulous job!  and a round bag at that!!!
I have made bird houses with my license plates, but never had the courage to construct a purse!  I can't wait to see your tute!  Thank you for agreeing to do that!  and love those 'Stang caps!

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2008 09:21:19 PM »

Gorgeous bag!  You (& your father) did a fabulous job!  and a round bag at that!!!
I have made bird houses with my license plates, but never had the courage to construct a purse!  I can't wait to see your tute!  Thank you for agreeing to do that!  and love those 'Stang caps!

Thanks for sharing!

when you make the birdhouse do you use the plates just for the roof or for the whole thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2008 06:45:31 PM »

I love that you have a mustang and I love that you've made this purse.  It is totally slammin'  Smiley love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
MissRachel
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008 06:56:30 PM »

I would pay ninety bucks for that. How unique!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2008 10:35:24 PM »

I finally made a tute here you go. if you have any questions feel free to ask me.  Smiley
Smiley First get all of your supplies together. It will go a lot faster if you have everything ready to go.
Get something that is about the same size as your hubcaps. And wrap the first LP around it. Try to make it as round as possible, there will be a few little kinks.

Next drill holes into the lip of your hubcaps. All hubcaps have different types of lips.

After you drill the holes wrap the first LP around the hubcaps and mark were the holes in the hubcaps meet the LP.

Drill holes into the LP

Next you will rivet the LP and the hubcap together. Make sure the holes line up.

After you rivet it, you will need to make holes on the other side of the LP.

Rivet the LP to the second hubcap

After you rivet you will have something that looks like this

If your hubcaps have lips showing use tin snips to cut them off.

Next wrap the second LP around your round object. Like you did in the first step.

Next cut your piano hinge to the size of the LP about 6 inches.

Sand down the sharp edge.

Mark where you need to drill holes to attach the hinge to the LP

Drill the holes into the LP for the hinge

Rivet the hinge to the LP

Next you need to cut off the extra piece of LP. The second LP should flap over the first LP about of an inch.  Use tin snips

Mark where the hinge will attach to the second LP, the sharp edge should be attached to the hinge.

Drill the holes where the hinge will attach.

Rivet the hinge to the second LP

You will now have something that looks like this

Now drill a hole on both hubcaps at the very top. This is to attach the d ring hangers

Rivet the d ring hanger to the hubcap

Next you will need to work on the closure. Drill a hole about two inches down on the first LP in the center

If you use a backpack strap as the closure you should use a lighter to burn the edge so the edges dont fray.

Attach one side of the snap closure to the LP and the top part to the strap.

Measure the length you need of the strap. Make it about of an inch longer then you think you need.

Drill a hole into the bottle cap

Drill a hole into the second LP. In the center of the LP and about a  inch from the edge of the LP.

Stack the bottle cap the strap and the LP. Then rivet it all together.

To cover the original holes that are in the LPs I used bigger rivets that cover the roles. I put a metal washer behind the plate and used a rivet.

Next drill four holes into the bottom of your purse. Make sure they are the same distance and straight across from each other. This is important, you dont want a lopsided purse.

I used acorn nuts as the feet. Screw the acorns into the bottom of the purse.

I did not take pics of the lining because it is hard to take pics at the same time as gluing it. All I did was use a spray fabric glue. Or you can use a glue gun or whatever you like.
Then your done!!!!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2008 03:34:15 AM »

Genius!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2008 06:06:26 AM »

when you make the birdhouse do you use the plates just for the roof or for the whole thing?
[/quote]

I used the LPs for the roof, the rest was made of pine or cedar.  Each year, I usually have at least one family (of birds!) living in one of them!

I just saw the tute...thank you sooo much!  I'm dying to make one of those (well, after September when my MBA is finished!)   Kudos to your father...looks like he does a whole heck of a lot of the work on these purses!  But they are beautiful!

Thanks for sharing and thank your father too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2008 09:07:08 AM »

I used the LPs for the roof, the rest was made of pine or cedar.  Each year, I usually have at least one family (of birds!) living in one of them!

I just saw the tute...thank you sooo much!  I'm dying to make one of those (well, after September when my MBA is finished!)   Kudos to your father...looks like he does a whole heck of a lot of the work on these purses!  But they are beautiful!

Thanks for sharing and thank your father too!
[/quote]

yea he doesdo alot, but he has taught me how to use everything so now i can make them on my own yEY!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spank the Frank
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2008 01:31:48 PM »

what size are the rivets that you use? also have you tried it with a rubber strap?Huh i heard they arnt that great. but anyways I LOVE IT!!! I would so pay 90 bucks for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Green reminds me Of everything we did it blinds me It rushes through my head it finds me Close to you again
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop
How to Make Wire Wrapped Beaded Bracelet
Rosette Beaded Pendant Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...