A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: License Plate Purse (Now with a Tutorial)  (Read 56965 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , license_plate , license_plate_purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2008 10:13:16 PM »

I finally made my license plate purse!!!!!! a few months ago i almost gave in and bought one but they are like $90 bucks. so i made one. my dad helped me alot with this project. it is made of 1 full license plate and 3/4 of a second plate. i used two 6inch mustang hubcaps to make it. i made it with mustang hubcaps becuz... you guessed it i have a yellow mustang. my banana lol. it took me two days to make becuz i didnt have all the stuff i needed so i had to go to the store. i love it and i plan on making more since i have like 10 license plates still. hope you like.  Grin

the side veiw with the mustang

red felt lining. didnt come out that great

THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE THE PURSE

I finally made a tute here you go. if you have any questions feel free to ask me.  Smiley

Smiley First get all of your supplies together. It will go a lot faster if you have everything ready to go.
Get something that is about the same size as your hubcaps. And wrap the first LP around it. Try to make it as round as possible, there will be a few little kinks.

Next drill holes into the lip of your hubcaps. All hubcaps have different types of lips.

After you drill the holes wrap the first LP around the hubcaps and mark were the holes in the hubcaps meet the LP.

Drill holes into the LP

Next you will rivet the LP and the hubcap together. Make sure the holes line up.

After you rivet it, you will need to make holes on the other side of the LP.

Rivet the LP to the second hubcap

After you rivet you will have something that looks like this

If your hubcaps have lips showing use tin snips to cut them off.

Next wrap the second LP around your round object. Like you did in the first step.

Next cut your piano hinge to the size of the LP about 6 inches.

Sand down the sharp edge.

Mark where you need to drill holes to attach the hinge to the LP

Drill the holes into the LP for the hinge

Rivet the hinge to the LP

Next you need to cut off the extra piece of LP. The second LP should flap over the first LP about of an inch.  Use tin snips

Mark where the hinge will attach to the second LP, the sharp edge should be attached to the hinge.

Drill the holes where the hinge will attach.

Rivet the hinge to the second LP

You will now have something that looks like this

Now drill a hole on both hubcaps at the very top. This is to attach the d ring hangers

Rivet the d ring hanger to the hubcap

Next you will need to work on the closure. Drill a hole about two inches down on the first LP in the center

If you use a backpack strap as the closure you should use a lighter to burn the edge so the edges dont fray.

Attach one side of the snap closure to the LP and the top part to the strap.

Measure the length you need of the strap. Make it about of an inch longer then you think you need.

Drill a hole into the bottle cap

Drill a hole into the second LP. In the center of the LP and about a  inch from the edge of the LP.

Stack the bottle cap the strap and the LP. Then rivet it all together.

To cover the original holes that are in the LPs I used bigger rivets that cover the roles. I put a metal washer behind the plate and used a rivet.

Next drill four holes into the bottom of your purse. Make sure they are the same distance and straight across from each other. This is important, you dont want a lopsided purse.

I used acorn nuts as the feet. Screw the acorns into the bottom of the purse.

I did not take pics of the lining because it is hard to take pics at the same time as gluing it. All I did was use a spray fabric glue. Or you can use a glue gun or whatever you like.
Then your done!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008 10:56:45 AM by gdeeaz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

punk rock puppy
Magic Ninja

Juggalo Love!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008 10:20:08 PM »

wow thats amazing, what state is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeah... i should probably get on that...
gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 10:22:25 PM »

wow thats amazing, what state is it?

They are both California plates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrAfTer21
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008 10:26:51 PM »

This rocks! GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A dream is a wists your heart makes
http://www.wists.com/crafter21
brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 10:35:05 PM »

very awesome!!!!! great job! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
tsarinaerika
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 10:35:46 PM »

That is fabulous....isn't it great having a dad who loves his little girl and loves to help!!!  My dad was always helping us and teaching us....and usually getting us into some sort of trouble!!

Your purse definetely rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our home is a zoo of fabulous rescues...do the animal world a great kindness and have your fur baby spayed or neutered!
gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 10:39:22 PM »

That is fabulous....isn't it great having a dad who loves his little girl and loves to help!!!  My dad was always helping us and teaching us....and usually getting us into some sort of trouble!!

Your purse definetely rocks!

yes it is great having a dad who will help me so much. i turned 18 a few months ago and finished high school so im always out and about. so he is happy whenever we get a chance to do something together.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burningrubber
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008 11:09:33 PM »

I love it! I have been wanting to make one forever. I too have a good sized pile of liscense plates waiting for me to get off my butt and just do it. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentlyknits
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008 11:20:21 PM »

wow! that's so cool! this totally rocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took.
gigagiggles
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 11:24:24 PM »

90BUCKS!!!
I'm glad you decided to make your own.
Greeeaaat job btw!! =))
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thai Foodcast: Thai Fried Rice
Making Won-Ton Noodle Soup
How to Cook Asian Pork Noodle Skillet
Simplify Stir Fry
How to Make Fried Rice
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...