A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: License Plate Purse (Now with a Tutorial)  (Read 51368 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , license_plate , license_plate_purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008 10:20:59 AM »

And here my only questions are:
Have you tried this on a decorative plate?  I ask bc I have a NH 'Old Man in the Mountain' plate that I've been dying to do this too and... have been afraid.  Was there any paint stretching or breaking on the license plate?

Oh yeah, and how in the hell did you get it the right shape to begin with?  This is the one that really baffles me....

Anyways, AWESOME job, may you find lots of fun in your new purse.

I havnt tried it on decorative plates yet. This is my first one. And i havnt noticed any paint stretching or breaking at all. To shape it all i did was have my dad wrap the plate around the hubcaps while i held the hubcaps in place. it is not perfectly round but it is pretty darn close lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008 10:21:55 AM »

That's so cool. I really want one now. Let's see the tute soon, even if I am personally nowhere near a license plate like that. It's always fun to see a creation in progress Cheesy

i will be making a new one soon, and when i do ill post a tute. hopefully within the next week or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2008 10:25:56 AM »

This is a great bag, you and your dad did a great job on it.
I wish I could do that, because I have 2 License Plates with my name on them from my first car.

if you dont have hubcaps you can always use something else to wrap them around. it might not have the same look but i know you could use wood. like shape a piece of wood into 6 inch circles. or you can make the square bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008 03:11:36 PM »

kudos to not giving in and buying one! Your's looks awesome. The town next to where I grew up had and art studio type store that sold these and I wanted one sooooo bad! Of course we never had the money for one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2008 11:17:48 PM »

This is really cool. I've seen them before but couldn't convince myself to buy a bag made of license plates for $100+
Good work on yours.

Have u seen the ones that are like $300? they have stones on them but i would never pay that much.
I used to work at a store that sold them. Really cool but soooo not worth it.
I like yours better, good ideas are best without adding tons of stuff to them.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008 12:21:43 AM »

Smiley
[/quote]

when you worked there, did you notice how well the little stones were attached to the plates? if i had one like that i would worry about the stones falling off. what do you think they use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008 06:58:35 AM »

Hi ya, a friend made one similar to yours, she used a seat belt for the strap including the actual buckle.

I think she used a vw cap on either side but made duplicate sized card board cut outs and covered them in quilted black vinyl to line the ends and the middle.

Great piece of art!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lbbshell
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2008 10:34:42 AM »

Smiley

when you worked there, did you notice how well the little stones were attached to the plates? if i had one like that i would worry about the stones falling off. what do you think they use?
[/quote]
Because I've sort of looked at those kinda closely, they use the jetset glue or something similar, where it's a slightly thicker version of superglue.  You set the stones on the glue and they don't slide off in design.  Anyways... uh, check your local craft store, in the same area that they'd sell swarovski/beading supplies they'll have several different kinds of glue.  I recommend applying it with a paintbrush myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gdeeaz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008 10:22:43 AM »

Smiley

Because I've sort of looked at those kinda closely, they use the jetset glue or something similar, where it's a slightly thicker version of superglue.  You set the stones on the glue and they don't slide off in design.  Anyways... uh, check your local craft store, in the same area that they'd sell swarovski/beading supplies they'll have several different kinds of glue.  I recommend applying it with a paintbrush myself.
[/quote]

thanks for the tip, i wont be putting stones on these purses but i will do it on some other purses i am going to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curbside prophet

d'ya wanna dance?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2008 07:13:09 PM »

that is so sweet; could you make a tute? or direct me, and others, to where we could learn how to make one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just a curbside prophet with my hand in my pocket and I'm waiting for my rocket to come.
--Jason Mraz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Shadow Levels in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust the Hue and Saturation in Photoshop CS3
How to Align Objects in Flash CS3
How to Apply a Blend Mode in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...