A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle sculpt doll face tute  (Read 10246 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 26, 2008 07:00:32 PM »

Secure thread the same color as your fabric, or fishing line at the bas of the head. Exit at A. Take a stitch and go between A and B three times. Exit at A. Take a stitch, exit at E. Take a stitch, exit at B. Take a stitch, exit at F. Take a stitch, exit at B.

Take a stitch, exit at H. Loop around to F. Using another doll needle pull the stuffing forward for the flare on the nose. Pull taught, exit at A. Take a stitch exit at G. Loop around to E again pulling the stuffing forward, and exit at B.

Take a stitch, exit at C. Take a stitch, exit at D. take a stitch, exit at A. Go back and forth between A and B. Tie off at the base of the neck in back.

Tie off new thread at base of neck. Exit at 1. Follow the numbers, back and forth for top row, or upper lip. Bottom row as follows, 19 to 23 to 17 to 24 to 15 to 25 to 13 to 26 to 11 to 27 to 9 to 28 to 7 to 29 to 5 to 30 to 3 to 31 to 32.

For chin, take a stitch, exit at I. Loop around to J. pull taught. Take a stitch, exit at base of neck and tie off.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 07:01:59 PM by craftewoman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008 06:02:24 PM »

Craftewoman, i love this tute and am going to try it but am wondering if you might post an image of a doll face sculpted with this technique just for referance? your picture and instructions are very clear but i am a pretty visual learner and seeing what the end product is supposed to look like would help me tremendously.

thanks so much! i'll show you if it turns out, and even if it doesn't Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008 09:47:52 PM »

Craftewoman, i love this tute and am going to try it but am wondering if you might post an image of a doll face sculpted with this technique just for referance? your picture and instructions are very clear but i am a pretty visual learner and seeing what the end product is supposed to look like would help me tremendously.

thanks so much! i'll show you if it turns out, and even if it doesn't Wink.
Maude the Fairy Godmother is done using this particular method. After making the troll doll (no name as of yet) there are some other things I've learned about needle sculpting and what the  pattern needs to look like for the face to allow for such things as lips and uni-brows. The patterns by Ute Vasina are really great for that. I'm ready to draft another of my own after what I've learned from using hers. I really like the method that she uses for making the feet look more human by separating the big toe from the rest.
Here's the link to Maude:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=272552.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TazFromOz

Invisible Bicycle... wait a minute!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008 03:42:21 PM »

This is probably a pretty silly question but do you do this sculpting from the outside?  After the doll's been stuffed?

I've never done needle sculpting before and I'm a bit unsure.

Thanks for your help with this kind of stuff.  You seem to be a real sharer on here -it's really good for us newbies at doll making to have patterns like yours and Ghillie's and suggestions on how to use them.  I really appreciate it Smiley and I'm sure others do as well.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008 03:47:52 PM by TazFromOz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008 06:34:16 PM »

This is probably a pretty silly question but do you do this sculpting from the outside?  After the doll's been stuffed?

I've never done needle sculpting before and I'm a bit unsure.

Thanks for your help with this kind of stuff.  You seem to be a real sharer on here -it's really good for us newbies at doll making to have patterns like yours and Ghillie's and suggestions on how to use them.  I really appreciate it Smiley and I'm sure others do as well.  Thanks!

Yes. You sculpt after stuffing. You "scoop up" the stuffing under the skin and make indentations to sculpt the stuffing and skin the way you want it.
Thanks for the compliments!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 01:57:18 PM by craftewoman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009 03:24:39 PM »

awesome.....this is going to help me alot. ive been stuck with flat faces for a while and couldnt get anyone to explain this to me. THANKS ALOT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
dammitall
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009 01:40:49 PM »

Very cool!  I'm going to bookmark this and try it out on my next dolly.  Thanks!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get "Sombre" and Balayage Hair
The Best Hair Treatments You Can Buy or DIY
The Monday Makeover - Textured Knot Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Masculine Chignon Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - New Evening Bob Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...