A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black and white practical shoulderbag Now with Tutorial  (Read 4728 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2008 11:25:56 AM »

Needed a new bag for school, so I made this one today. Kind of like how it turned out all sturdy and nice, and the pockets are really what I needed.

Got:
* One main case for books, lunchbox and stuff.
* One larger pocket at the back for my supply-case (see other thread)
* One pocket at the side for waterbottle and (in summer) a fan
* 3 smaller pockets of various sizes for loose papers, cellphone and stuff.

It's got room for everything I need, neatly organized.
(it is black, I swear. Just the light that makes it look all... grey/brown-ish)

Inside:

Tutorial:

sorry about the blurry pics... hate not having a scanner or proper camera.... Also I forgot the bottle-case on the inside in the instructions- but I'm sure you can work that or any other pockets you'd like all by yourself =)

1. Meassure the size you would like on your bag. (X=height, Y=widht, Z= depth, W= length of strap)

2. Cut pieces, you will have to remember to add seam allowance to all of course.: A should be Y wide and X times 3 + Z long. You'll need three of this one: One for the outside, one for the inside and one in stiffer material for the middle layer. (I've henceforth named them A1 for inner, A2 for middle and A3 for outer.
B: Z times 4 wide (minus aprox. 1 cm) and W long. (cut in which ever fabric you want for the strap)
C: Cut this in the inner-fabric.
D: Cut in which ever fabric you want for the pockets.
E: You'll need 4 pieces of this: two in the middle layer material (E1) and 2 in the outer one (E3)
F: 4 pieces of this, in the inner fabric. You'll need extra seam allowance on this. I did however make a typo in the picture, it's supposed to be only half of Z+ the extra eam allowance     

3. First hem pieces C on the upper and lower edge (the longer sides) by folding the edge twice. Don't mind that it's now shorter than the original size of X now- it's supposed to be like that.
Now, put pieces F on each side of the shorter un-hemmed sides of C and sew together with a seam along the red line. This should reslut in the darwing displayed last of these.

4. Take pieces D and hem then just like you did with C- along all sides. Then take pieces A1 and A2 placed on top of eachother (A1 over) and attached first one pocket (preferrably with a seam in the middle to divid it) and then the other one on top of that.

5. Now, take the pieces you just sewed on and place piece CF on top of it (covering the pockets) Add pieces E1 on top of F and sew all four layers together. It's good if pieces F are a tad bit longer both at top and botton than piece C cause you don't want to attached that later, it would be messy =)
Now, try to continue sewing on the sides as to make the whole thing bag like. I'm sure you understand how to do this. make sure all the seams are on the outside, and that the inner fabric is on the inside.

6. Now repeat step 5 (with less amount of layers and corners and stuff though =)) with the outer fabric (this time the seams of course should be on the inside).

7. Take piece B and fold the two long sides towards the centre, then fold again at the center. Then sew a seam along each side to fasten it.

8. Now, take the strap and put it inside the first piece you worked on, make sure it's not twisted or such, and let the ends stick up at the sides of the bag. Then take the outer-piece you've made and put it inside the other piece. (the middle-layer should now be outwards, the inner layer in the middle and the outer layer on the inside. (the straps now sticking out between the inner fabric and the outer fabric)
sew along the edges marked in red here (the red mass marking the straps hanging out- be sure to fasten these very well). If you like you can round of the corners of the top-flap too. Be sure to leave a opening in the front for turning inside-out after!

9. This is kind of what it looks like when you turn it inside out.
10. and this is what it will look like once you've manage to turn it inside out. Now sew the front together, and if you like sew a seam along the other edges as well as to flatten them.

Easy as cake, hope my instructions and awful drawings made any sense at all.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008 08:42:47 AM by lelyonna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
violetta27
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008 11:32:04 AM »

Love the fabric you chose.  Looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisagill34761
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 12:30:03 PM »

Please do a tute if you can!  Love IT!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008 01:02:53 PM »

thanks =)

lisa- I could do try to draw a tute, but the bag is different depending on what you want it to look like on the inside. If you want me to make one, you can just say what kinds of pockets and stuff you want and I'll work from that =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 01:05:20 PM »

great construction and matching of fabrics. the finished product looks every professional and pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
McAlydal

So many ideas, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 01:26:29 PM »

I love this. Great fabric and construction. Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rustyfern

THIMBLES ARE FOR PUSSIES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 01:47:57 PM »

can i eat a piece 0f yer brain s0 i might gain sum 0f yer geni0us-ness?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eroe
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008 08:14:48 PM »

I would also love to see a tutorial. My question is how does the bag hold up against a lot of stuff in it? I want to make myself a school bag also, but I am afraid the weight of too much binders/books may break the cloth handles of the school bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 02:23:02 AM »

rustyfern: Don't think it'd taste that good, most parts are probably rotten. It would be a very dangerous game to attempt I'm afraid.

eroe: as far as I've tried so far (which is quite a lot since I study litterature and we have this heavy book on famous pieces which is like 2000 pages (not exaggerating), and not the light-weighted bible-sort either, but heavy heavy papers) there has been no problem at all. But then I've got three layers of fabric in the back (among which the center layer is the stiff thicker really sturdy kind) so there's no breaking there: As for the handles they are 4 layers of fabrics and fastneded over and over again to make sure they won't break. So, I have had no problem with it breaking, dare say I could walk around with brick stones (which is anyway what my insane book weighs) and it still would make it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Kiss
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 08:50:37 AM »

Perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Kim Kardashian Hairstyle
3 Ways to Prevent Dry Hair This Winter
How to Get a Flirty, Tousled, Party Ponytail
How To Rock A Simple Braid For Your Holiday Party
5-Minute Holiday Updo Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...