A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reconstructing a store display model into your own dress form ***TUTE***  (Read 8973 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitaholic
« on: July 25, 2008 11:01:09 PM »

Hi there,

So I have posted this into recon clothing because A) This is a reconstructed item and B) It has to do with clothing. But if I am in the wrong please let me know and I shall move along  Wink

Anyhoo.... I found myself in our local value villiage this afternoon, and low and behold I found this beauty just waiting for me to walk by...

I grabbed her so fast and giggled all the way to the cashier:D So what is a girl to do with a form that has a 37" bust and a 24" waist and no butt? Well.... you just need to customize her and this is how I did it.

Step 1.

Strip down your new friend and gawk at her Barbie like figure. Wonder why you don't have that figure and then remember the chocolate bar you had for dinner.

Step 2.

Add on some padding. I used upholstery batting but I am sure anything wll work.

Step 3.

Use some poly-fill to add in fullness in the areas that require it. I gave my lady friend over here some breast implants, a whole new tummy, and some extra junk-in-the-trunk.

Step 4.

Marvel and your frankinstin creation, grab some coffee and start thinking of names.

Step 5.

Cut a small hole in some lighter weight batting and place over the neck, drape this over the chest area to give a nice finish.

Step 6.

Take the knit cover that your lady friend came with and use it to cut out a pattern for her new and improved figure. I had this great metallic lepord print in my stash and I knew that the two would love eachother.
I needed to add a few inches to the bottom of the pattern to accomadate the fullness... I think I added 4 inches to be on the safe side.

Step 7.

Hand baste & gather the bottom of your dress to fit your lady friend and the procced to glue it to the under side, I don't trust glue alone so I added some tacks for good luck. For the neck piece I did the same thing, gathered it all up, glued it in real good so it won't budge.

Step 8.

Dress up your new lady friend (as you can't tell I haven't decided on a name yet, but I am open for suggestions) for her first photo shoot Cheesy:D

Step 9.

Call B/F or some other person with metal working skills, and let them know that you will need a stand ASAP, oh yeah and tell them to paint it red Wink

I think I am in love...

Thanks for tuning in Wink Let me know what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 11:09:09 PM »

Very cool!
Now where do I find a barbie shaped model to adapt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
amybarnett
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008 11:15:17 PM »

what an amazing find! When I venture to the thrift stores I rarely find anything half as awesome. And super good job on the makeover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
virsaq07
It's nice to be IMPORTANT but it's MORE important to be NICE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008 11:18:28 PM »

wow..this very cool....Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you feel small and worthless, do something great - Help Someone in Need
visit me @
http://virsaq.etsy.com
http://indyacrafts.etsy.com
http://chez-vies.blogspot.com
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 12:40:10 AM »

How awesome!

Yes I agree, a red base is a must for such cute fabric!

Now, where is mine? haha! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Butterfly Love
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 01:11:56 AM »

I love it!!! I bought one a little bigger a while ago on ebay and I'm busy decoupaging it. It's taking a loooong time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitaholic
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 04:05:03 AM »

Thanks guys,

I too have some serious bad luck when it comes to thrift stores. But this week the God's must of been shining down on me. First I found a functional 1940's Singer on Wednesday and now my Lady Friend Smiley Woohoo!

-Butterfly love - WOW I can't imagine the patience you must have for that! I think that would drive me nuts. I was literally shaking with  excitement when I was working on this project cause I couldn't wait for it to be done... hope you post pictures soon! I think that would look awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008 04:34:43 AM »

That is very cool. I love the leopard print. (I also like the decopauge idea.) 

Will you use her as a dress form or just for decoration/display? Either way, very, very cool.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
sugahoney
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008 06:24:30 AM »

This is very nice. And i Love the fabric you used. Very Chic i must say. P.s. how did you get the store model?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panul
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 06:41:12 AM »

She's fabulous! I think she should be named after one of the glamorous ladies of Golden Era Hollywood. Bette? Lana? Joan?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 10 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 10/14
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 2/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 1/13
Matt Winter: Seasoned Designer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...