A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 311,445
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaded ornaments, candle holders, and vases  (Read 3630 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 25, 2008 06:00:43 PM »

I started off beading miniature glass ornaments.  I still make them, but I've moved on to slightly bigger things.

this one was made for an ornament swap I took part in.  we were given a list of another person's favorites and were told to incorporate as many as we wanted into an ornament.  my partner's favorite colors were hot pink, aqua, and lime green; one of her favorite movies was "Singin' in the Rain" (hence the tiny aqua colored drops); she loved collecting foreign coins (notice the little replica Chinese coin on the bottom) and I formed the silver wire hanger and loop myself.

I made this for my mom's birthday last year.  her birthstone is topaz, so of course I put topaz Swarovski crystals on this.  it REALLY sparkles when you put a tea light candle in it.  I'm so proud of the clarity of this picture too. Tongue

I have a few other vases beaded up, I just don't have pictures yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
hockamama
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 06:19:54 PM »

those are beautiful!!  I can't even imagine the time and patience involved in these; the one you made for the swap is gorgeous, I'll bet your swap partner and your mama both loved them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008 07:14:01 PM »

those are beautiful!!  I can't even imagine the time and patience involved in these; the one you made for the swap is gorgeous, I'll bet your swap partner and your mama both loved them.

thank you!

my mom loved hers and my swap partner went crazy!  she said (like many others involved in the swap) she didn't want to put hers away just because it wasn't Christmas.  all of the ornaments were too beautiful to save just for Christmas.  I had so much fun making it too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008 08:05:17 PM »

Wow- that's amazing! Could you recommend a good beading tutorial for beginners? You've inspired me to try this- I doubt mine will ever be this beautiful, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
TMommy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008 09:56:51 PM »

Shocked Wow! Shocked nice job, I love the ornaments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
Weezie13
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 05:28:33 AM »

My sediments exactly!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 10:06:45 PM »

Wow- that's amazing! Could you recommend a good beading tutorial for beginners? You've inspired me to try this- I doubt mine will ever be this beautiful, though!

well, I got my help from a book actually.  I tried "Jewelry Making and Beading for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beading, Illustrated" and neither really helped as far as bead weaving.  I went to Borders and found the best book when it comes to bead weaving.  it's called "The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques".  I'm still trying to get the hand of a few weaving techniques, but netting (the type used to decorate my items) is rather easy.  you can even use it to make beautiful jewelry.  the other books have their strengths, but the encyclopedia is the best when it comes to tutorials.  they use close-up color pictures of actual weaving in progress, where the others use drawings or black and white photos.

I've looked around for some good tuts, but it's kinda hard to find one.  some that I've found confused even me.  BUT, maybe this one will help.  http://jewelrymaking.about.com/library/n_080900.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008 10:11:26 PM »

Shocked Wow! Shocked nice job, I love the ornaments!

thank you!

if you look, you can kinda tell which ornaments I did first and which ones were done after a lot of practice.   Tongue
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 10:12:11 PM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezie13
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 09:17:55 AM »

if you look, you can kinda tell which ornaments I did first and which ones were done after a lot of practice.   Tongue

You can, we can't!!!!!
They are very pretty!!!

Did you buy darkened ornaments,
or did you put in paint of some sort?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008 07:17:09 PM »

You can, we can't!!!!!
They are very pretty!!!

Did you buy darkened ornaments,
or did you put in paint of some sort?

lol

eh...I guess you're your own worst critic.   Tongue

yeah.  they came in black.  I was so excited when I saw them and I just had to have them.  black is, after all, my favorite color.  they're from a company named Roman and they're an ornament collection called ColorWorks.  they come in all sorts of colors.  I found mine when a local gift shop had their Halloween display.  you can check out their website and you can even enter your zipcode to see if Roman products are sold near you.  or something that may work better, check eBay.  I've seen people selling the Roman brand as well as other small ornaments.
http://www.roman.com/giftandhome/colorworks.cfm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Szechuan Pork Belly and Triple Happiness Cocktail
Popcorn Orange Chicken Recipe
Delicious Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
Korean Mandu Dumplings Recipe
How to Make Fluke Sashimi With a Japanese Pear Cocktail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...