A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alphabet Quilt for Baby  (Read 2212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008 10:01:20 PM »

Great job, they both turned out so nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
imagreenegg
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008 11:11:37 AM »

your quilt is beautiful!  as a teacher I just can't get enough of the letters...did you teach yourself how to machine applique?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tresa
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008 02:59:54 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words! It's so fun to get a good response.

I did teach myself how to machine applique imagreenegg - it was actually not terribly difficult to get started. I just pulled out the instruction manual to my sewing machine to figure out how to get the stitch effect I wanted, and then I read online that you can use an ironed flat coffee filter as your stabilizer and that worked like a dream. Way cheaper than real stabilizer too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nemejia
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008 05:28:44 PM »

I'll have to "file" away that coffee filter tip. The quilt is gorgeous as is the nursery

I have been wanting to paint the alphabet in my children's room. How did you do it? Step by step pretty please! what size are the letters and what font did you use?

Thank you in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tresa
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008 06:06:39 PM »

Oh I totally cheated nemejia, I didn't paint the letters at all. I painted the stripe using a laser level and my OCD, and then I had a friend of mine who sells vinyl stickers cut the letters out for me. She did them for free as a baby shower gift, but it would probably run you about $80 to have it done.

The font was Century Gothic, bolded, and I just told her I wanted the letters to measure eight inches tall, counting capital letters and tails. When they came back, they were a little bigger than I expected (I think she forgot to include the tails on the lowercase G's and such), but luckily I waited to paint the stripe until after I had the letters in hand, so I just made it a little bit bigger.

The hard part was figuring out the spacing. My math wizard husband did all the work for me. We taped each letter to the wall to see where things ran into corners or windows, and then just averaged out the space between each letter. We managed it with only a modicum of swearing.

$80 sounds like a lot, but I would have paid it. After painting the stripe I realized that if you have any texture on your walls at all, trying to get a crisp edge is tough. Trying to get a crisp edge around a curve would be a nightmare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nemejia
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008 05:56:24 AM »

I thought they might be vinyl. It sounds like plenty of work just to figure out the spacing let alone trying to paint them up there! Thanks though! I might look into buying some too! Actually I had thought about cutting them out of contact paper, I just can't decide what color. My daughter (2) and son (4) share a room. The walls are about as yellow as they look in your pictures. Their bedding is mostly navy blue and white so I don't know if navy on the walls will be too much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008 09:11:08 PM »

I adore this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
IamSusie
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008 11:23:17 AM »

This quilt is wonderful!  I love how you taught yourself machine applique and it looks absolutely professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008 07:57:26 PM »

Love love love this.  And I looked at your site with pics of the whole room......so adorable!!!!

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Didier Ludot in Paris
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Vintage Bowles - Shopping Odetta Vintage in Paris
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Baggy Boyfriend Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...