A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: salem city street youth start crafting  (Read 1221 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrr betsy
« on: July 25, 2008 01:11:02 PM »

I see that there are a lot of people from the Salem area on craftster... awesome! I've been a member of craftster for years and live in Salem now.
I just wanted to take a minute to tell people about what my boyfriend, myself and a few friends are doing in town.
You see... it's really really really hard o get a job in this town. Especially if you look kinda funny, but even if you don't - it doesn't even matter how qualified you are (I'm going to be a junior at Willamette University in the fall and have like 3 past jobs).
So why do you encounter so many little punk/dirty/street kids around asking you for spare change? There's the reason... why do you see able bodied, quick witted kids holding a cardboard sign? You get the picture...
WE HAVE DECIDED TO TAKE AN INITIATIVE. Especially my boyfriend and I, sick of trying to get help with rent blah blah blah we want to earn our money and pay our bills like adults and without jobs we've decided we can apply our crafty skills to do so. Thus we have created Crusty Crafters: Urban Camping Gear... this is a somewhat consignment operation meant to revolve around our friends and fellow travelin' and/or street kids. Useful pouches, hobo rolls, bags etc. with the travelin' theme (and if you've been to portland in the summer you know who i'm talking about - the dirty kids with backpacks, maybe a dog...) Of course these items can be used by everyone! Tobacco pouches, coin purses, and even an array of jewelry - all items made with scrap leather, hardware, and other materials we already had or came by easily. We're turnin' trash into treasure people and we have big plans!
The point is, whether we're traveling or settled down in a city, we're nice kids and good people. We might not want to work in cubicles and wear suits but we're down to make an honest dollar. This is the launch of our attempt.

http://www.myspace.com/crustycrafters
http://www.crustycrafters.com
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 01:13:44 PM by grrr betsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
grrr betsy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 11:32:52 PM »

we tried to sell some stuff today downtown... would be better to sell in portland or eugene... can't wait to try at saturday market! it was nice out so even though we only sold 1 pair of earrings we had a good time. I made two pairs of earrings while we sat out.

here i am Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 11:34:51 PM by grrr betsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 01:01:10 AM »

Maybe the word "crusty" put people off?  That's not exactly the word I want to be thinking when looking at earrings... just saying.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008 01:05:19 AM »

heh crust punks wouldn't be the same if you took the crust away  Cheesy

just think about delicious/healthy bread crusts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008 03:33:49 AM »

Hey!  I'm from Arizona, but am leaving to visit Salem, OR next week.  I'll be there for about ten days, perhaps we'll run into each other.  Have any recommendations for places to visit, things to see...other exciting crafty things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
grrr betsy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008 12:51:56 PM »

Hey!  I'm from Arizona, but am leaving to visit Salem, OR next week.  I'll be there for about ten days, perhaps we'll run into each other.  Have any recommendations for places to visit, things to see...other exciting crafty things?

well let's see... i think first wednesday market will be going on, i actually haven't gone yet but it sounds interesting... otherwise we plan on having a crafty potluck/bbq on saturday aug the 2nd. we know places to hang out around here and lots of people so if you get bored just hit me up on myspace. we like meeting new people Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
silverblayze
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008 04:31:17 PM »

Very jealous. If I tried to sell randomly here in Michigan, Lansing would cease to exist. Something about failing economy, blah blah blah, we want all of your money, blah blah blah. Oh, and let's cut education while we're at it.

p.s. Sorry for the rant. It sound like loads of fun. Good luck at your market next week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look to the heavens; she shimmers as a star.

Blog:a Shimmering Star

Etsy:With Eyes Lifted
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 01:38:30 PM »

What a great idea and a wonderful way to be in charge of your life and what you want to do. I think if you can get to Portland, they would sell really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
How to Make Candy Cane Mice
How to Make Glittered Holiday Cards
How to Print Holiday Gift Bags
How to Make Glittered Christmas Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...