A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 7-25-08 - Tour de Whoops! Edition  (Read 4469 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lyme
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008 01:47:14 PM »

Wow, lots of colorful yarns so far this week... I always like seeing lots and lots of colors. Anyway, here's what I have for the past month or so:

The top is superwash that I used for more practice in Navajo plying, so it's probably worsted weight. The bottom is some fleece artist silk/merino:

More superwash merino... I dyed a bunch of it up green and blue and this was the result. The picture, unfortunately, makes it seem a lot brighter than it really is, the colors are more subdued but I can't get that to show up on camera:

These two are made up of leftover bits of roving I dyed, spun really thick and thin so it's pretty bulky:

And last, I posted this yarn I dyed/spun a few weeks ago, and the socks I made out of it came out great:

That's all for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaceromantic.etsy.com
SPACE!Romantic hand-dyed rovings and hand-dyed & hand-spun yarns
misschris87
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008 01:48:28 PM »

Everyone's yarn looks wonderful  Cheesy.

Mint Toffee Chip - This one was technically from last week, but I didn't get it posted. It's green merino with chocolate and toffee bamboo.

Mardi Gras - Spun from a Mardi Gras batt by TerraBellaSpun

Here Fishy Fishy - I'm currently working on finishing this one. It's my first attempt at plying with thread, and I'm throwing in some sequins. For some reason you can only see one sequin in that photo, but there are many more haha. It's spun from roving by Muzzlepuffs on Etsy.

the single

plied
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 01:50:25 PM by misschris87 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit-Wit

Knitting and kitties go together....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008 02:52:58 PM »

Whoa, that is the most rad-tastical yarn I've seen in a while. It would rock as a sweater  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna know whatcha gotta do when life is gettin' you down? Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting knitting, what do we do we knit, knit, knit
Knit-Wit

Knitting and kitties go together....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008 02:55:39 PM »

Those are beautiful socks and yarn! I wish I had a skill for dyeing yarn and spinning it. All i've tried to spin is my cat's hair  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna know whatcha gotta do when life is gettin' you down? Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting knitting, what do we do we knit, knit, knit
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008 03:32:09 PM »

I've had an exciting week. My baby brother was born over last weekend and I finally finished a yarn. Though when you see it you will wonder why I took so long.

This is 2 yards of BFL. Mullerslanefarm sent me tons of fiber and this was some of it. a small amount of it. lol This was an experiment in plying. It's 2 plys of bfl, and one of silver thread.
Probably a bulky or worsted. It's not super thick.

And these are still on the spindles but I thought posting them might make me finish them.

The blue is BFL the white is merino. I've been spinning that merino since last year. It was 1/2 of my fiber stash. But I am finally almost done with it. Smiley I taught my crafty BFF to spin and sent her home with a full bag of fiber as well as spindles and a carder. (I use dog brushes.)  She spun one ply of my brown up there I spun the other and then plied the whole thing.

I think I may try plying with beads next and I'm thinking about braiding my 2 yards of bfl and thread and making it a bracelet. lol.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 03:33:48 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008 06:58:14 PM »

(the fleece was still wet when this picture was taken)
I didn't get any spinning done this week.. I've been torturing myself with a shawl... but I did dye some blue faced leicester in bright candy colors in hopes of spinning some bright stripy sock yarn.
Everyones yarns are beautiful as always.. and I love your socks lyme..!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008 07:59:11 PM »

Lyme - those socks are great!

Here are mine for this week. The first is a 2 ply (about DK weight) called 'Atomic Watermelon'.  Its superwash merino and about 70 yards

This is a mini skein of about 40 yards of a single that I got from playing with a drum carder.  I think I carded too much because the colours are muddy.  I call this one ...erm...'Cat Yak'.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinFish
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008 09:33:38 PM »

Here's my big fat skein for this week!

540 yards (!!!!!!) of mostly light fingering weight, with areas of lace to sport... it's a wool blend, possibly merino x corrie? from Maine Woods Yarn, in colorway Vineyard. This is my third yarn spun on my Ashford Kiwi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

variableenigma
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008 08:34:57 AM »

These are gorgeous! I especially love the Tropic of Cancer (the bamboo)!

I work in my mom's yarn store and we carry a lot of really unique and unusual yarns, but I've never seen anything like what you've done here! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkmandi
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008 11:34:48 AM »

where did you find bamboo to dye?  is there a website i can go to?  I love the vibrant colors it had, and the one before it... I LOVED LOVED LOVED the strand of pearls intertwined.  Absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Perfect Cheesy Dip
These Bacon Pancakes Will Change Your Life
Bacon, Pea, and Fresh Herb Pasta Recipe
How to Grill Stuffed Caprese Turkey Sliders Recipe
Grilled Chimichurri Steak Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...