A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: good "big boy" quilt pattern?  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss misery

I am a dead-eye shot shooting

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008 04:05:19 PM »

no, not bob's big boy, like where dr. evil was frozen and mr. bigglesworth lost all his hair.  my 7 yr old son wants me to make him a quilt, as bob the builder is now too baby for him.  any suggestions on patterns?  i figure i'll find a pattern and take him to the fabric store and let him go wild.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008 04:06:34 PM by miss misery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008 05:42:27 AM »

i used this one for my 7 year olds latest quilt.

http://www.quilterscache.com/W/WovenRibbonsBlock.html

we used a dark green camo print,a bright green camo print, a green tone on tone , a med beige and green plaid.  all fabrics were flannel.

it is very bot.

really tho.  any basic quilt blocks can be made "boy" just by the fabrics chosen. enjoy your fabric experience.  my kiddo LOVES the fabric store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008 03:50:16 PM »

when I do "boy" quilts, I go for darker, plainer colours, without much in the way of "cutesy" patterns - some kind of plaid seems to be really quite popular. I also tend to go for fairly plain patterns - this kind of thing, paired with classic furniture, can last a long, long time. Similarly, if it's more modern, you might look at denyse schmidt-style quilts with more bright colours, even those of a favourite team or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdeg
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008 08:44:02 AM »

There's a really good pattern on allpeoplequilt.com.  It's called "Chocolate and Jelly Beans" and it's just basically concentric squares.  It would be really easy to modify the size to fit your son's bed.  Here's a link: 

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects-ideas/throws-wall-hangings/chocolate-jelly-beans_1.html

You could use a variety of fabrics and even put his favorite character in the center square.  Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JeanC
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008 07:13:10 PM »

If you want something fun and different, I found this in a magazine.  It's paper pieced and pretty easy.  There are a few really small pieces around the wheels, but paper piecing makes them ok.  Once you get past that, the rest is all good. 

I'm just finishing up 2 of them for my niece's boys.  Choosing lots of wild and crazy fabrics was so much fun.

PM me if you want the pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008 05:49:02 PM »

This is one of my all time favorite quilts, and on my to do list for my son

http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NOTYourMothersTurtleBlock.html look at page 2 for some completed quilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Flesh Tones by Setting the Gray Point
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the White Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the Black Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Target Shadows and Highlights
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Restore an Image After Adjusting Levels
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...