A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Remodeled Bathroom with Wall Mural!!! (Tons of Pictures)  (Read 19914 times)
Tags for this thread: remodel , bathroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crafty Intentions
« on: July 24, 2008 01:16:28 PM »

I think I will eventually include a time line of every room in my house - Living room to come next - But this, my friends, is my bathroom. 

I will explain along with the pictures but let me preface this with it was MAJOR work.  We had help from family and friends, but my husband did the vast majority of the work.  I designed the floor plan and made a lot of the decisions, but my husband was the muscle.  Now - If you'll join me, I'll take you for a ride on the squirrelly path that is the makeover of our bathroom.  I apologize in advance for the length of this post - thanks for checking this out!

BEFORE WE MOVED IN:
We had to move for my husband's graduate school but we did not have a lot of time to look at houses.  This house was the last one we looked at on the only weekend we could go to Pittsburgh to look. Here is the bathroom as it looked then:

This is the only bathroom in the house aside from a particularly intimidating version of the "Pittsburgh Basement Toilet". 

As you can see it's a Tiny little bathroom.  It's charming accouterments included an outlet by the tub, no shower head, no tiling, carpeting, a Toys R Us sticker on the mirror, and a wallpaper border positioned at 3 different heights around the bathroom.

That wall around the Tub? Normal Painted drywall.

Check out these electrical outlets! Yummy right? Just makes you want to lick them!

Jokes aside, this bathroom needed some loving, but we lived with it for a year.  Here is what we did to make it liveable - FOR A YEAR:

Yes, those are shower curtains taped to the wall with good old gorilla tape.  Gorgeous yes? We ripped up the carpet, and put down a little bathroom rug.

Oh, Did I perhaps mention that we were also running all new wires for those yummy looking burnt-to-a-crisp outlets?  Did I throw in the fact that my husband accidentally cut a line that ran to all existing power on the second floor including the bathroom and our bedroom? Yea.

So we kept a standing lamp in the bathroom so that we could bathe in the light. My parents also gave us an old hanging cabinet for toiletries so we finally had a little storage area.

The second floor Hallway looked like THIS before we moved our stuff in:

And it looked like this after we moved our stuff in:

The fast difference is that I personally tore out this makeshift closet that was in the hall.  It was infront of a door to what we assume used to be considered either a closet with it's own door or perhaps a nursery.  You can see the door to our bedroom closet behind the painting in that second photo.

Here comes the first real twist in our story.  Approximately one year after we moved in, my birthday was fast approaching and my husband started acting funny.   I'm annoyingly good at sniffing out surprises, so I found out that my Mom and Brother were coming to visit, which was cool!  And also his grandparents were going to "stop by".  His grandparents live 4 hours away. Would anyone have bought the "They're going to stop by" line?

Regardless, my birthday came and my Mom and Brother picked me up from work and took me to some botanical gardens, even though I told them they were closed. And we sat, outside the botanical gardens, doing absolutely nothing for about half an hour.  Weird.  I was artfully trying to get details out of them about what was going on but my mom would only get giggly and say we couldn't go home yet.

When we finally left and went back to my house, my in-laws, my brother-in-law, his wife, their two boys, and my grand-parent in-laws were all waiting there with my husband.  "Surprise!", my brother-in-law said cheerfully, "We're here to demolish your bathroom!"

Boy. What a surprise that was.  I was not really all that delighted because their presence involved tearing apart my one and only bathroom and I wasn't prepared.  Given the state of the room, I had already sort of planned out what I wanted to do - but it was ambitious.  It involved moving 3 doorways, removing part of a load-bearing wall, and completely re-doing a room starting with removing everything down to the studs.

It's not that I didn't trust this crowd - My in-laws are very good with the construction, hands-on, do-it-yourself remodeling.  They own a lumber mill. They built their own mountain cabin themselves, from scratch.  They're all pretty nifty.  But coming into my house with NO warning, they were going to tear out the only place I had to go to the bathroom?

Yea. I had a nervous breakdown.

This photo is from the view point of walking up the flight of stairs from the first to the second floor:

This photo is looking in towards where the tub is. 

They tore out all of the central walls, and tore down the original bathroom door and the odd door into our closet.  Basically the idea was to punch out the bathroom space into the hallway and move (slightly) where our bedroom and future craft room doors were.  This plan doubles the space of our bathroom.

This photo is looking into the area of the future craft room:

This photo is from the inside of the bathroom, looking at the closed door and where the vanity mirror used to be on the wall.  This was taken after they had framed out most of the walls that had been torn out.

This is a photo of me feeling overwhelmed by the end of an era, while my father-in-law looks on.

Where did we shower you ask?  Our basement has a pipe that comes out of a cement wall that is a weak imitation of a shower.  There are 2 walls, but overall it's pretty open to the rest of the basement.  So, while you're showering you can admire the washer and dryer, the power tools, a whole manner of saws, spiders, cobwebs, and the white stuff on the walls that (although I sprayed the crap out of it with bleach and tilex) I swear winked at me at least once.

It's the type of place in which you barely feel comfortable wearing open toed shoes, let alone shower flip flops.

Onwards and upwards!  The next step was literally upwards -- My husband ran all of the electric for lights and he ran lines up to the attic for later use.  We decided not to tear down the weird ceiling, just to punch holes in it for the lights and put up a new drywall ceiling about 2 inches below it.

Our second Mini-Story involves a little chirping that we heard for days before my husband would agree with me that it was not coming from the roof but rather from the ceiling.  We went up to the attic and heard it in the floor, so my husband got out his power tools and cut a hole in the attic floor and (BY WHISTLING AT IT!!!) eventually coaxed out this little guy, who'd been hanging out next to one of the canned lights.

We did not touch him with our flesh - only gloved hands.  We put him in a box with some water and some bread and I spent about 2 hours calling every single animal shelter, aviary, and bird sanctuary in the Pittsburgh Area.  Let me tell you that on a Saturday Night there is NO ONE who is willing to take a baby bird. 

We kept him warm for the night (in our house, protected from our cats in a separate room), but apparently when my husband got up in the morning early, to take him to a shelter, he had already chirped his last chirp.  By the time I was awake, my sweet husband had buried him in the backyard and marked his grave with a little painted stone. 

Rest in peace little man.

Here is a picture of my dear husband:

Speaking of Greg - That's his name, Greg - Greg was just getting ready to put up drywall and green board to continue our bathroom project when we took another minor detour from our agenda. 

There he is. Getting ready to do something stupid.

He was home alone for a day - I was at work - and he had pre-loaded a masonry screw onto his drill. He put the drill down on the sink counter, and turned around to pick up the green board that he was about to screw into place.   Something - maybe his elbow - knocked into his drill as he turned and he knocked the drill off the sink and reflexively reached out with his leg to break the drill's fall.

Suffice to say that this:

Went into his leg. All the way. It entered into the back of his leg, just missing bone by 1/4 of an inch.  It also just missed his achilles tendon.  He's a lucky, lucky man. 

To make a long story short(er), I got him to the hospital, they gave him a tetanus shot, some morphine, some benedryl for his allergic reaction to the morphine, some more morphine... and then they tried to unscrew the screw from his leg with a screw driver.  I'm not. Even. Kidding.

After they DID get it out (WITH PLIERS) they sent him home with strict instructions to keep off of it for a while, which was hard for him.  But I basically tied him down to the couch after I found him perched on the edge of the bathtub trying to screw some MORE drywall in, holding his injured leg out behind him.  After that he stayed down and healed before he did any more.

When he was finally up and about again, he put up all the drywall.

Next was our first ever vertical surface tiling project.  I had acquired these long skinny iridescent tiles and I wanted to do two rows on either side of one row of 4x4 inch white tiles.  We basically picked the cheapest white tile we could find and then used the iridescent glass tiles to accent.  Here's the process:

Next it was time to patch all the holes in the walls, rip out the old toilet, put down subflooring, and tile the bathroom floor.  For the tiles we chose an imitation slate tile.  It's EXACTLY what I wanted.

ALL DONE!

Then, of course, it was time to paint.  I selected a bright purple color - This was the first room that we painted and I wanted to be bold. 

In this picture you can see the two cubbies that I had my husband build into the wall. These will be right above the sink and will facilitate a little storage area that you have easy access to.

This is a photo of the wall that I wanted to paint a sort of mural onto.  Greg and I worked on it together, but I did all the detail work.

ALMOST FINISHED!

All that was left was to add the final touches.

We put in a new sink/vanity.  We bought some bookshelves with doors to be our "Linen closet".  We painted our old medicine cabinet white and put it back up above the toilet.  Greg finished the installation of three canned lights, one specifically for above showers for above the shower, and he also put in two hanging pendants above the sink. 

I took several of the extra floor tiles and beat them up with a hammer and then used the pieces to make a mosaic frame for a mirror we found on clearance somewhere. 

If you've stuck with me this far - Congratulations, You have reached the end. HERE are the CURRENT and FINAL photos of what my completely remodeled bathroom looks like. Thank you for reading!!!!!

If you would like to see more of my crafts, or more of my remodeling work Check out my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/25744436@N02/

Thanks again! And have a crafty day!

UPDATE: 7-26-08

I've noticed that alot of you really love the shower curtain we have in our bathroom.  Here are some closer up photos! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 10:44:34 AM by Crafty Intentions » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aladine
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008 01:32:16 PM »

wow, after such an odyssey, you guys really deserved such a pretty bathroom, it looks wonderful! congrats!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: stuff i make 

I have 2 vintage dirndl skirts (floral) for oktoberfest  (US sizes 6-ish and 8-10) I would love to swap! anybody interested?
ally-oops
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008 01:33:22 PM »

Smiley Smiley... Cheesy

I loved the entire enthralling story.  Tragedy, comedy, and a really great result!  I must say, when I saw the purple walls pre-finished project, I was like "Hmmm.. purple....   Undecided"  THEN with the murals and accessories, i was like "Yeah! Purple!  Cool"

Awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caflygrl
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008 01:34:08 PM »

Holy moses!! What a transformation!! You can hardly tell it is the same bathroom at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freegrrl2000

Every time I blink I have a tiny dream....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008 01:35:14 PM »

Whew! That WAS a long one! But it wouldn't have been complete without the whole tale! First off you all did an AMAZING job! I love the color and the mosaic mirror! Scond of all my condolances for the little birdie, and third, the screw went ALL the way in??? HOLY!
You have a great gift for story telling as well as renovation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now when you're finished say, "MY, what a lovely tea party!"
tclar014
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008 01:36:21 PM »

This is amazing!!!!
You guys totally deserve such a fab bathroom after all of that work.
PS I love your shower curtain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Capt_Jordi

Beachin it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008 01:38:02 PM »

awesome job! I LOVE the paint color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hamsterdrache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008 01:39:22 PM »

This is the hottest bathroom i ever saw! I LOVE the purple with the green (mint?) and blue and i am nobody, who likes screaming colors (i dont know, if this is a phrase you have in english, in Germany we say something like "This colors bite each other.")

I am sorry, but i do not have enough english words to tell you how beautyful your new bathroom is.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm from Germany and do not speak English very well - if i say something stupid, please tell me. Thanks!
maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008 01:42:28 PM »

WOWOWOWWWWW!!!!

How long did that take!?!?

It looks absolutely amazing! I have been wanting to rip my bathroom apart for AGES... but am SO scared of all the work!

And aww, birdie! I had a baby woodpecker jump from it's nest into the back of my truck not too long ago. It survived for about a week, outside in a makeshift cardboard box nest... but sadly passed away the day it's sister learned to fly.  Embarrassed

anyways... awesome job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008 01:44:13 PM »

Wow...that was an awesome story.  I laughed, I cried (well...I got a little tear-y), and I so had an "Oh my God, aha!" moment, when I recognized both your floor and your accent tiles (I worked in a flooring store for a while).  And you did a fantastic, phenomenal job, and yay for crafty in-laws!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. John Norcross on "Changeology"
"The Blessed" Book Trailer
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Cyndi Lauper on Her Memoir
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever" Audio Book
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...