A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is it done sewing or serging?  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008 09:01:58 PM »

If you look at the bottom hem or sleeve hem of a tee shirt, you see the double topstitch.  Underneath it looks serged.  I got a serger for Mother's Day and have loved learning to use it, but this is something that I thought I was going to be able to do with it and was really looking forward to.  So...  is it serged and then just a double topstitch with a sewing machine, or is it a function on the serger that I may not have???  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Taniquel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008 02:16:21 AM »

It's called coverstitch. Some higher end overlockers can do it, but most can't, and you can also get a coverstitch machine that only does coverstitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008 09:15:40 AM »

You can get something similar with a sewing machine, you use a double needle, it will look like the double stitching on the top side, but on the "serged" side it looks like a zig-zag stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
marieC
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008 09:48:34 AM »

I just finished reading Sew U - Home Stretch.  It's one of those Built by Wendy books, but specifically about knits.  I learned ALOT about sergers and overlock in a way that made more sense than the manual or other books I've looked at.  Very conversational tone - I had it as bedside reading for a few nights.  I'd recommend taking a look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
karataylor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008 10:03:07 AM »

Like Taniquel said, it's a coverstitch. I'm not sure if there is a way to get an attachment for a serger that would do a coverstitch. There may be, & if not, there probably will be at some point. Coverstitch machines can get pretty pricey, & I'm not well-versed in those. I usually serge the bottom of my garment if it'll fray & then turn it over & topstitch it clean. If it's the bottom of a t-shirt made from a knit that's going to stretch a little, I'd recommend a zig zag stitch so it has less chance of breaking in wear. And if you don't want to serge it first, you can always just double turn it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shinola: American Made Watches and Bikes
Folk Fibers: One-Of-a-Kind Hand-Stitched Quilts
How To Make A Spooky Halloween Spider Out Of PVC Pipe
Decorate This Halloween with Glittered Bones
How to Make Spooky Halloween Drinking Glasses
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...