A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin: My first attempt  (Read 2357 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 23, 2008 06:42:47 PM »

I've been admiring my daughter's resin pieces and all of the other resin work here on Craftster, so I finally took the plunge and gave it a go. Here is my first-time feeble attempt at resin:

I pressed a few of tiny flowers from my front yard a while back and used one of them. I glued the egg-shaped bauble to the clear photo cover that came with an itty-bitty frame. It's sort of difficult to see it, but anyway. A few pieces of glitter accidentally made their way into the resin, so I had to throw on some more so it wouldn't look like so much of an accident. I like how the whole thing looks as though it's floating in air.

I didn't intentionally set out to make a pig, it just sort of evolved. I used a couple of googly eyes and a button. The ears are made from a cloth tab, I bought a box of 'em at Office Depot the other just because they were cheap, so glad I did. It's now a pin.

This was difficult to capture, but it's a silver chain. I glued it onto a metal backing with a hole for a necklace.

A few more I haven't done anything with yet:

The funny thing about these is that they were actually a failure of sorts. I picked up a few sugar and butter molds at the thrift shop for a song and thought I'd see what would happen. They turned out okay, but they wouldn't come out of the mold. Sooooooo, I just cut around those suckers, sanded the edges and wha-la! If I didn't know there was clear plastic over them I wouldn't be able to tell.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PineappleGurl
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008 08:21:37 PM »

Those are great. I really like the top picture. I think the butter molds have a nice shape to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vulvaline
Jane of all trades, mastress of a couple.

pottymouf extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008 08:49:41 PM »

these are sweet.  i am really liking the little piggy!

also...next time you have trouble getting a piece out of a mold try a couple things before killing your mold.  1. try freezing it for a bit. (kinda like wax) 2. if that doesn't work...or if you just feel like smacking some stuff around, try flipping it and giving it a couple of sharp smacks with a rubber/plastic hammer...or a regular hammer if you use something to cushion it and 3. perhaps wait another day or two...sometimes when it's humid or cool, it takes some extra time for resin to cure.

just some stuff i'm figuring out the hard way.

happy pouring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ve get too soon oldt, undt too late ve get schmardt.
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008 11:45:46 PM »

(Hmm...my post went into la-la land, starting over.)

Thank you both for your kind words, I appreciate the encouragement! I especially like the framed one, too, and I fall more in love with that piggy every time I look at it! Those google eyes crack me up.

I did try giving the mold a few good whacks but I was afraid I was going to crack something. I wish I knew about the freezer thing so I'll keep that in mind if I have trouble in the future. I love learning new hints like that, thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008 07:09:18 AM »

The pig is such a cutie! Good job! Now aren't ya glad ya tried it?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008 09:45:26 AM »

Definitely! Looks like I'll be doing more because one of my daughters bought a batch of resin molds and they came in yesterday's mail! Now, if the sun will only break through those dreary clouds...

Thanks for checking out my pitiful little creations, I Sew Cute, you've set the standard high and by doing so you've inspired many of us to go forth and multiply the resin!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 11:32:00 AM »

The piggy is adorable!  What type and brand of resin did you use? ... I'd wonder whether the heat generated by some of them would negatively affect the plastic of the googly eyes.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 11:32:19 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 08:41:14 PM »

Thanks, Diane! The resin we use is called Easy Cast Clear Casting Epoxy by Castin' Craft. It's about $12 a box, but we usually pick it up at Michael's when we have 40- or 50-percent off coupons cause we're frugal like that, yo.

We've tried different types, this is our favorite because it's the easiest and sets up really well. It's a one-to-one ratio, so you almost can't mess it up. We wait for a warm day and, although there is no odor, we still set up everything outside. (There's a warning about fumes so we'd rather be safe than sorry.)

If you give this a try I hope you post your creations, good luck and have fun, fun, fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009 06:37:29 AM »

The resin we use is called Easy Cast . .  

Thanks for letting me know!  That could explain why there was no problem for the googly-eye plastic since Easy Cast is the one brand of epoxy resin that's been tweaked to be even "safer" than regular epoxy resins (and definitely safer than polyester resins).  Doing that changes some of the characteristics of the final resin result though (softer and more flexible, esp. if thin or exposed to body heat) but don't know if it also necessarily affects the temperature created during the curing (which might cause some plastics to distort or melt).  

I'd love for anyone to do a test with googly eyes in a regular epoxy resin though (Envirotex Lite, Ultra Glo, etc) or even in a polyester resin (Castin' Craft's Clear Polyester Casting Resin, Tap Plastic's Clear-Lite, etc.) just so we could be sure for future reference!  Grin

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009 07:00:55 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Emi Ramsey
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009 08:37:49 AM »

the flower bead one is really pretty but the pendant is really awesome - you are right, it looks like its hanging in space, very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Easter Egg Hunt & Raffle Launched - check it out at http://www.fortheloveofbeads.com/blog/seasonal/love-beads-easter-contest/  ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
How to Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
How to Make Ohio Buckeyes
Curtis Stone’s St. Paddy’s Day Hangover Meal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...