A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doggie Toybox  (Read 2020 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lzepeda
« on: July 23, 2008 05:06:15 PM »

Ok, so, this is my first post on Craftster, please be kind! :-)

I have been wanting a toybox for my dogs for sometime so I went to Goodwill (our local thrift store), found this old box, and decided to try and transform it. Whoever made this box put about 8 million coats of lacquer on it and surgically fused the wooden dowels to the inside.

My friend Marci told me to post it, but by then I had already sanded the outside and removed the dowels inside. It's unfortunate that I can't show the true hideousness of the before! :-)

So, 2 days and 13hrs later..... the finished product. Most of this time was spent sanding the lacquer and buffing the wood.

All the lettering describes my pups and nicknames we give them. I used a cheap walmart $2 stencil so the lettering isn't great and I mixed my own paint to do the stenciling too so that's not as clear as it should be. The big yellow smudges in the 3rd picture are their paw prints, as you can see that didn't work very well!

Any constructive criticism is certainly welcome!!

Before

After (front)

After (back)

After (side)

After (side)

After (action shot)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ :-)
ladyquestra

I am my intention trapped in flesh and bone.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008 05:45:02 PM »

OMG, I love this.  I am always looking for something to put our dogs (we have 3) toys in.  My last attempt was a wicker basket, which of course became a chew toy itself.  I am going to keep a lookout for something like this to transform.  Now if only I can get the pups to clean up after themselves and put their toys back...Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and do what you want, because those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter.
~Dr. Suess
gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008 05:45:47 PM »

this is so cute... i especially love all the little nicknames on the one side, i have about eightybillion names for my dogs too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katiebelle
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008 05:52:02 PM »

I think you did a great job! Another great idea would have been to turn the box over, cut two holes in the top, stick some bowls in and make it a stand up feeder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008 06:10:26 PM »

Very cute, good job on all that sanding. My dogs unfortunately don't have toys b/c the bulldog will destroy and eat them within a half hour. So he has a Konga and the Chihuahua has a stuffie that can not be left unattended. Dogs, kids don't know which is worse, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008 06:12:48 PM »

Oh thanks for the pics!  Gives me some inspiration..I love altering old boxes, so next time I find a good one, I'll buy it so I can do something similar. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
lzepeda
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008 09:26:10 AM »

I think you did a great job! Another great idea would have been to turn the box over, cut two holes in the top, stick some bowls in and make it a stand up feeder.

That is a great idea!! That may be my next craft adventure!! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ :-)
moxie_d
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008 10:27:34 PM »

Dude! It came out awesome! I can only imagine what it was like trying to get their paw prints on there  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CandidCrocheter

<3Live Fast<3Die Pretty<3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008 12:16:20 PM »

oh man i am totally jealous that you found that perfect box. i really need to get something different for my pups. My youngest apparently hates the wicker idea and just tries to tear it up when i'm not looking. i love all the fun words that you stenciled onto it btw, cute cute idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008 07:28:27 AM »

Cute! I like that the paw prints are smudged, it looks like they just decided to "help" you paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Running in Style This Summer
Eliminate "Back Fat" With the Right Bra
How to Deal With Bra "Spillage"
Picking a Bra to Prevent Sagging
Fashion Social Media Recap: Kerry Washington at the CFDA Fashion Awards
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...