A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to mimic this Coal beanie... but how?  (Read 612 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2008 12:19:37 PM »

Here it is:
http://www.coalheadwear.com/products/unisex/unisex_beanies/link/

How would I go about doing that? I can't zoom in, but it doesn't look like fair isle, because the grey stitches seem to stick out more than the blue ones, if you see what I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008 12:45:39 PM »

What about making it like the mason-dixon wash cloth, but reversing the k & p and playing with it a bit to make is more like an oval (maybe transitioning the corners by p 3 instead of the 1 st)?

Alternatively, but harder, there's a 2-layer hat concept in Lace Style called the peek-a-boo cloche (ravelry link--need to be signed in to view), where you start at the top of one side, then transition to the other side and just before you bind off the hat, you flip the inside into the outside.  The gray could be done with many yo's and then p1, k1 into them to create large holes like lace.  Or you might try the method in the swiss cheese scarf.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008 12:46:03 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alyssab
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008 01:52:38 PM »

To me, it looks like mosiac knitting. Here is a link to an example from Knitty:http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATslipstitch.html. I've never done it, but it doesn't look too bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008 05:06:50 PM »

Ooh, I didn't think of mosaic knitting! I've wanted to try that anyway, so maybe I'll do that. The ball-band dishcloth is a good idea too.
The lace cloche, while it's pretty different from the original idea, is calling to me now. It's so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008 02:28:19 AM »

I found the stitch pattern for the colour bands in a book I have.

Multiples of 8 + 2 (1 edge stitch on each side.)
Rows 1 (Right side), 2, 9, 10, 17, 18 [colour A]: Knit all stitches.
Rows 3, 5, 7 [colour B]: knit 1, *knit 3, slip 2 purlwise (With yarn at back), knit 3*, repeat from * to * until 1 stitch left, knit 1.
Rows 4, 6, 8 [colour B]: knit 1, *purl 3, slip 2 purlwise (with yarn in front), purl 3*, repeat from * to * until 1 stitch left, knit 1.
Rows 11, 13, 15 [colour B]: knit 1, *slip 1 purlwise (yarn at back), knit 6, slip 1 purlwise (yarn at back)*, repeat from * to * until 1 stitch left, knit 1.
Rows 12, 14, 16 [colour B]: knit 1, *slip 1 purlwise (yarn in front), purl 6, slip 1 purlwise (yarn in front)*, repeat from * to * until 1 stitch left, knit 1.

Repeat rows 3 to 18 inclusive.

The knit stitch at the start and end of each row won't be needed when you do it in the round.

That beanie is gorgeous, I wanna make one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008 05:43:42 PM »

Wow, thanks, megziewoodles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelliz
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008 04:58:15 PM »

If anyone makes this, I would love to see it.  Would you let us know if it works out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAOJ

knitting is life

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008 07:45:27 AM »

If you google Newfoundland Mittens you should be able to get the pattern for the "honeycomb" part of the hat. I know that someone had it posted on their blog, but I can't seem to locate it right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Color Schemes From the Color Wheel
How to Understand Colors for Home Decorating
Photo Retouching and Compositing Examples
How to use ADT Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup Priorities
How to Use REVIT MEP 2008 - Building an HVAC System
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...