A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hobo bag / my first post  (Read 658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmouse01
« on: July 23, 2008 12:15:52 PM »

I finished this a couple of weeks ago but finally am getting around to posting about it.

We found about 5 weeks after it happened that a friend/neighbor broke her leg at the beginning of May.  I wanted to do something to cheer her up.  I thought about taking over some chocolate and flavored teas to enjoy while she was house-bound, and then tried to figure out what to bring it in.

The gift was delayed a few days because I decided it would be neat to whip up one of those Nordstrom Hobo Bags that I had seen in Craftster  (http://shortylamcrochet.blogspot.com/2006/11/nordstrom-hobo-bag.html is where the pattern is located).

I think it turned out great!  I didn't have time to run to the nearest city to find leather straps or magnetic snaps, so I improvised and made my own crocheted straps and found a cute button.

Unfortunately with the black yarn I used, it's hard to see the stitches in the photo, but it looked really good.  Here's the back of it:

I'd do somethings different if I were to do it over again.  I think I like the "smoother", shinier yarns that I've seen this with - the yarn I used was pretty fuzzy.  I'd also get a much thinner ribbon.  But I love the look with the button and bright pink ribbon!

But, shhh... don't tell my friend that I bought both the button and lining material on clearance!  Grin

Here's a picture with the goodies inside:

If you want more details as to the slight modifications I made, you can see them here http://nulandnews.blogspot.com/2008/07/cheer-up-bag.html
Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012 08:26:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Esjay82
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008 12:48:00 PM »

awwww how very thoughtful of u! i hope your friend liked it. what did she say? i think u did a great job on it.. i've been looking at that pattern, nice to see it done in the fuzzy yarn tho, the shape of yours is cute  Grin
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008 12:48:51 PM by Esjay82 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmouse01
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008 01:51:01 PM »

She properly ooh'd and aah'd over it  Smiley.  I think she could've cared less about the treats inside ... at least at first.  But she has been spending a great deal of her time reading, since she can't do a lot of walking yet; so chocolate truffles are a "necessity"!

I didn't deliberately pick "fuzzy" yarn, but it called for bulky weight and I liked the look of the Lion Brand Jiffy in black.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Favorite Celebrity Hairstyles
How to Create a Loose Wedding Updo
Highlighting Your Hair For Summer
How to Keep Hair Sleek in Summer Humidity
How to Create Natural-Looking Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...