A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in rounds?  (Read 1655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxqualmxx
« on: February 15, 2005 05:37:17 PM »

I just cannot figure out how to crochet in rounds. I've found many tutorials online, but none of them are as detailed as I need them to be. My biggest problem is beginning and finishing the round. I am following this pattern because it is simple, quick, and I can make many to donate to the hospital.
http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/pre-database/crochet/Mini_Menagerie.pdf
I can do the first ch6 and then slip stitch to finish the round. Here is where I'm stumped. 1) do I chain 1 stitch in order to have the next row have height? 2)where do i insert the hook for the first stitch of the next row? and how many stitches do I do in that space? 3) at the end of the round, where do i slip stitch? is it in the first stitch of the round, and if so, how do i know which one that is? would you consider the first stitch of the round to be the ch1, or the first stitch after the ch1?

this is what I've been doing: I would make the initial round, and then ch1. then, if it said to do 2 sc in each stitch, i would do 2 sc in the same stitch that I slip stitched to. and then all the way around. at the end, I'd do one sc in the last stitch, and then slip stitch to the first stitch (not the ch1).  However, I did this for several rounds, and ended up with the beginning of a spiral throughout my work. I went to a yarn store near my house, and the woman was nasty, and she basically said, you have no clue what you're doing...we offer a class for $45 bucks (NOT happening). I'm probably making the most simple mistake ever, so if you can help me out, id definitely appreciate it.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005 05:45:00 PM »

Can you post a picture of what your finished work looks like?  I crochet hats and stuff a lot and you do end up with kind of a spiral sometimes....

Try crochet.com or go to your library and see if they have crocheting for dummies.  Thats what I used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
xxqualmxx
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005 05:52:07 PM »

well, i keep pulling it apart and starting over because I am convinced I'm doing something wrong. Its a small piece, so its not a big deal. I'll redo it, but it looks funny because its supposed to be stuffed. The spiral that I'm getting is raised, and very pronounced. It doesnt lay right in the work. I will work on it, and post a pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005 05:55:35 PM »

It sounds like you are making the last slip stitch into the wrong space.  When you end your round and you slip stitch, you should slip stitch into the chain one you did.  You won't be able to really "see" where you begin and end your rows so it helps to have a stitch marker or a piece of yarn from another project that you can lay over the stitch as a marker. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
xxqualmxx
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005 07:07:39 PM »

It sounds like you are making the last slip stitch into the wrong space. When you end your round and you slip stitch, you should slip stitch into the chain one you did. You won't be able to really "see" where you begin and end your rows so it helps to have a stitch marker or a piece of yarn from another project that you can lay over the stitch as a marker.

I think that is where I keep messing up. I slip stitch into the first stitch of the round, not the ch1. Perhaps that is what is making the bump that eventually turns into a spiral through out the work. I've been  using a bobby pin as a stitch marker because its easier to put in and take out than a safety pin. I guess I've just been putting it in the wrong spot. I redid the pattern, but it still had the bump so I took it all apart. I came back and reread your post more carefully, so I am going to try the pattern again and post my results
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zelia
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005 08:30:03 PM »

I can do the first ch6 and then slip stitch to finish the round.

It sounds like you're starting out wrong. There's no ch 6 at the beginning of Rnd 1.
Rnd 1. Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from the hook, sl st in 1st sc. [You will have a flat disc of 6 sc radiating from a little center hole. You may need to push the stitches around a little to get them evenly spaced around the circle.]

Here is where I'm stumped. 1) do I chain 1 stitch in order to have the next row have height?

Many patterns leave this out, but it's better technique to ch 1 to step up to the next row. This ch 1 doesn't count as a stitch.

2)where do i insert the hook for the first stitch of the next row? and how many stitches do I do in that space?

Insert the hook in the top of the 1st sc, in the usual way, and make 2 sc in this and every sc around.

3) at the end of the round, where do i slip stitch?

Sl st in 1st sc.

is it in the first stitch of the round, and if so, how do i know which one that is? would you consider the first stitch of the round to be the ch1, or the first stitch after the ch1?

The beg ch 1 doesn't count as a stitch. The first sc is the first stitch, and it will be the next stitch in front of you when you get to the end of the round; if you get lost, count the stitches -- you're slip-stitching the 12th sc to the 1st sc. You shouldn't need a stitch marker to find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxqualmxx
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005 10:13:53 PM »

Thank you so much for your help! I finally understand how to do it! My problem was that I was both starting the round, and ending it in the wrong stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slystr
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005 06:40:38 AM »

does anyone have a PIX of this? I have the same problem and just cant seem to figure  this out. I ama visual learner Sad and this is driving me insane too! I have messed up beppycat's closhe twice, wekk it got a point on the end like a bessie smith kinda hat, and I'm trying to make some amigurumi and I cant get the ball smooth and they look freaky!
thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zelia
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005 07:45:30 AM »

This page has pictures and detailed written instructions -- "Crocheting in Rounds by Andrew Burton"  http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburton/crochrnd.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005 07:07:53 AM »

I crochet in the round all the time.
There are two ways to do this....
most of the times you do not join... you just go round and round and round.
I use a 3 inch or so piece of yarn as a stitch marker then when I get round to where the yarn is on the row beneath I move the yarn up... so if you are chain 2, 6 sc in 2nd chain... then it might say like 2 sc around.. just keep going around , crocheting in the first sc.. move your markers.

The other way is to join.  so if you do our 6 sc or whatever, you join wiht a slip to the first sc to make a circle, chain one and sc in the same sc.. or you could do a chain2 and then move on to your next stitch and when you get around to that first ch2, you sc in the 2nc chain - that takes the place of doing a sc in the same stitch as the chain..
If you do the chain one and sc in same, you would join with a slip to the first sc - completely ignoring the chain1.  This leaves a bit of a bigger bump where  your rows will connect whereas doing that chain 2 instead of the chain1, sc leaves it a bit flatter.

Most of the animal patterns I have do not join after every round.. you just keep going round and round and round.

I hope that helps out .  It makes sense to me but then I do it second nature.
My next conquest - amigurumi if I can fin the patterns anywhere!
Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Tsukemono
How to Cook Vegetable Tempura
How to Cook Tarka Dal
How to Prepare a Sweet Lassi
How to Cook Pad Kaprow Koong
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...