A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Wings with Corset/Harness?  (Read 2603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lunascura

Talk Nerdy to Me

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2008 10:50:31 AM »

I'm planning a pair of fairy wings for a costume, and I'd like to make the sort that slip down your back beneath a corset so they look like they're sprouting from your back. I want to avoid having to wear straps over my shoulders.

I've seen these things all over the web, but I'm not sure exactly how to construct the part that slides down beneath the corset.

Example: http://www.enchantedcostumes.com/bmz_cache/2/226bb8d53d2405b448290067bb46a28b.image.550x550.jpg

Anyone ever make a pair like this? Have any suggestions for what the harness should look like?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008 11:05:49 AM »

Aha!  That's because no one ever shows you what that piece looks like...it's always tucked into something!  Here's ones that I've made: 

where you can see the part that slips down.  These were intended to be laced into a corset, as the corset's being put on.  This is not, turns out, the best way to do it.  This is also a prettier version than what most folks do, because I wanted them to be able to be worn with straps, outside of clothes, as well.  Usually, what you'll see is just a U-shape (or a like this: l_l flattened and squared out on the bottom) that's just narrower than your average person's shoulderblades, or as wide as the bar that connects your wings together, and all it does is slip down into a tightly laced corset (snug, not constricting), and you're good to go.  If you wanted to add some more security, you could always add an elastic belt, one side attached to one leg of the U and the other side attached to the other.

Just a tip:  when I design my wings, I like to make sure whatever pieces are holding the two sides together, and if there's a piece being integrated into clothing, that those wires are also extending out into the wing itself, and not just tacked on after the wings are constructed.  It can make your designs a little harder to execute, but it's definitely worth it in the finished product.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008 11:48:57 AM »

lunascura- this is a great question. I hate wearing mine sometimes becasue of the straps.

does anyone know if there is any way to convert a pair of "pantyhose" style wings to this method? I have 2 pairs I bought at renfest over the past few years and would love to change them up....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 12:31:02 PM »

Eliea, can you post a pic of your wings?  Or PM me with one, either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunascura

Talk Nerdy to Me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008 07:30:08 AM »

Aislynn,
Thanks for the photos and suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008 07:45:38 AM »

Eliea, can you post a pic of your wings?  Or PM me with one, either way.
took the pics off my camera last night. I'll try to upload them once I get home from work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008 08:39:29 PM »

this is similar, with detailed wire construction phase info
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=196440.0

I have tried, unsuccesfully, a couple times to convert separate wings to a single unit/ baseframe set. I wound up with the following problems: my center/ attatching wire poked holes in my wing fabric while working with it, the places the wire overlapped either didn't stay attatched (glues were attempted) or stayed but required so much tape/ glue/ epoxy that they were bulky & crude looking, the wings wound up closer together & less floppy but still required straps.

I do not share this to tell you it's not possible, only to help you avoid my problems Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008 08:04:19 AM »

this is similar, with detailed wire construction phase info
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=196440.0

I have tried, unsuccesfully, a couple times to convert separate wings to a single unit/ baseframe set. I wound up with the following problems: my center/ attatching wire poked holes in my wing fabric while working with it, the places the wire overlapped either didn't stay attatched (glues were attempted) or stayed but required so much tape/ glue/ epoxy that they were bulky & crude looking, the wings wound up closer together & less floppy but still required straps.

I do not share this to tell you it's not possible, only to help you avoid my problems Smiley
Good to know. I will have to thick carefully before I cut the ties off. here's what they look like:

Each square on the mat underneath is one inch. (for size reference.)
They have little nylon ties that are somehow worked into the construction of the middle part of the wings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008 08:21:43 AM »

Those are different from the ones I tried to convert, I was attempting that conversion with store bough wing & their horrible 4 inches of felt between the wings.

If the whole wing set is rigid, you should be able to cut the ties off fairly easily without it falling appart/ droopy wings. The remaining question is, what is under that center section? and why is it so bulky?

Did you say you bought those at a Renn Fest? they are very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008 05:27:33 AM »

I would definitely leave the ties on until you try wearing them converted at least once (just tuck them in!), just in case you want to wear them the other way again.  And I second Penlowe's question...what's the middle part made of?  Styrofoam would be my guess...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Kennedy on Places That Inspired His Novels
Douglas Kennedy on His Writing Themes
Olympic Medalist Amanda Beard on Her Memoir
Learn How to Draw Neil Flambé
Amanda Beard on How Swimming Saved Her from Depression
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...