A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: super cool vest from skirt/dress/suit/thing ***EDIT***quick tutorial!  (Read 8104 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

threehang
« on: July 22, 2008 10:06:25 AM »

***EDIT***
TUTORIAL:
Sorry that this is so half-assed but I've been packing and whatnot and I'm leaving for vacation in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, but if you need help, just ask!

1. Cut out three pieces: two for the front and one for the back. (see page 3 for more images). Make sure the measurements on the front accomodate for boobage! And also, I would measure the length from armpit to hem and also the length of the button area (placket? not really, but you know what I mean I hope). Leave an inch for seam allowance, but it's better to cut smaller than bigger because it stretches (unless you're not using stretch fabric), and it's supposed to be tight. The back is basically the front pieces put together, sans v-neck and the pointy bottom.

2. Sew together the shoulders and sides. Check the fit, and take it in/adjust as necessary.

3. Hem the entire thing. I serged the edges adn then just folded it under so it looks like topstitching, but you can line it, which isn't really hard at all. (you can google instructions, but i recommend going to the library and getting a book on it! that's how i lined my boyfriend's vest for prom). Also, for the sharp angles in the front, I hemmed each straight edge one at a time.

NOW FOR THE BUTTON PART (which I presume is the most important)
4. Measure the length of the edge that the buttons will be sewn on to. (for lack of a better term, the placket...unless it actually is the placket.) Mine was about 14 cm, so I did two 4cm tabs, which left 2cm from the top and bottom edges and 2 cm in between the tabs.

5. THE TABS: The parts that overlap the vest itself are squares, so to find the length of the rectangles to cut out, add: Tab width + tab width + distance between edges of vest in front. If that makes any sense. Cut out two rectangles for every tab (ie, I cut out four because I had two tabs.)

6. Put two rectangles right sides together and stitch along all four sides EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE INCHES IN THE MIDDLE OF A LONG SIDE. Then, clip the seams and the corners, and turn it right side out. Push out the corners so they're nice and pointy. Then fold in that part that you didn't sew, and top stitch around the whole rectangle. Repeat for all tabs.

7. Sew a button hole on one end of each tab. I used a zig zag stitch, but however you like to do your button holes is fine. There are great tutorials at www.burdastyle.com.

8. Sew the non-button-holed end to the right front of the vest. Make sure the part that overlaps the vest is a square, and sew along all four edges of this square. I also sewed an X through the middle.

9. Find four (or whatever number) buttons of equal or similar size. To cover them, cut circles a little bit bigger than the button out of a corresponding fabric. handsew a basting stitch around the circumference, stick a button in the middle of the circle, and pull the thread to gather the circle around the back of the button. Knot it off and there's your covered button! (There are more detailed and better explained tutes everywhere.)

10. Sew on your buttons, two on top of the X's of the tabs, and two on the other side, making sure they are placed so that the button holes match up.

That's it! There's your new vest :]

ONCE AGAIN. I apologize deeply for the terrible flaws in this tutorial ( I know there are many). PLEASE if you have questions, feel free to ask, though I might not be able to access the internet very often in the next couple weeks. On page 3, there's more pics of it lying flat, which may help you see the shape better.
My friend and I go shopping at the Salvation Army every so often and we came across this jacket + shirt-skirt-in-one combo. The jacket looked fabulous on my friend, once we removed the shoulder pads  Shocked so I took the skirt/shirt part and turned it into this!

Inspiration : http://community.livejournal.com/t_shirt_surgery/5058652.html#cutid1

Ignore the ignorable things (i.e., pj shorts, chalk marks, overly-pink-ness)

comments are awesome!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 07:44:02 PM by threehang » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008 10:13:59 AM »

I need one toooo! Its a boobs booster  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
Arianette
*Wrecklessly weilding hot glue guns*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008 10:15:45 AM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xerinnpx
Lover of Jell-O

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 10:19:34 AM »

That's so cool! Did you have a pattern to follow, or did you just make it up?
Lovely job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Wist
My Blog
feedthesquirrels
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 10:28:02 AM »

Love this! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my sewing adventures at http://shonastitches.blogspot.com
jMisSister
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 10:38:25 AM »

That is so cool!!  I would wear that in a heartbeat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threehang
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 10:39:03 AM »

That's so cool! Did you have a pattern to follow, or did you just make it up?
Lovely job!

No patterns! I just drew out the shape and sorta just figured it out.

And thanks for all the comments, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissVan722
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008 10:40:30 AM »

you seem to have a great eye for "just figuring it out"
thats what i have always considered real skill.
hoorah you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Wonder Why So Many Can Be In Pain, When Others Don't Seem To Feel A Thing.
lunarouge

the gypsy-punk hybrid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008 10:40:59 AM »

kayoot! i love your pattern, and vests are always great to have.  that looks really flattering on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I couldnt see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything. ~Twilight [[<3]]
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008 10:42:33 AM »

Nice work Smiley
I love the shirt and vest together...the colors are pretty sweet together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Portraits
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for People-In-Landscapes Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Panorama Stitch Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Night Portrait Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Night Landscape Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...