A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP Taco Seasoning Recipes  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clrowi
« on: July 19, 2008 09:52:11 PM »

So me and my DH LOVE LOVE LOVE tacos. It's a weekly meal in our home. Thing is, I'm starting to question the cost of the seasoning... Yah, we buy the pre-packed Taco Time seasoning at 1.39 a pack, for maybe 2 tbsps of powder!!!!!!!! Insane, when I know that people season it themselves, and at a MUCH lower price than that!!!

So, long story short, I would LOVE anybody's recipes for seasoning.

Thanks a BAJILLION!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasha_tuk
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008 04:39:23 AM »

This is the recipe I use for tacos
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1132/Chipotle-Taco-Filling111631.shtml
BUT if you just want the seasoning, I know www.allrecipes.com has a few recipes.  Just type in taco seasonings in the search.  If you haven't heard of this site, it is recipes submitted by people reviewed by real people.  It is my go-to recipe site.

So me and my DH LOVE LOVE LOVE tacos. It's a weekly meal in our home. Thing is, I'm starting to question the cost of the seasoning... Yah, we buy the pre-packed Taco Time seasoning at 1.39 a pack, for maybe 2 tbsps of powder!!!!!!!! Insane, when I know that people season it themselves, and at a MUCH lower price than that!!!

So, long story short, I would LOVE anybody's recipes for seasoning.

Thanks a BAJILLION!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tasha_Tuk
http://natashasnews.vox.com for my everyday stuff
http://natashasneedles.blogspot.com for my sewing and knitting
ilikepinkrain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008 02:46:45 PM »

you could also look at the ingredients on the back of the package and put in whatever is it the packaged one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008 05:26:12 PM »

Here's what i use (note i dont measure so you'll have to taste it as u go along)
seasoning salt (NOT A WHOLE LOT or itll end up too salty)
Cumin
Paprika
california chili pepper
cayanne pepper (not a whole lot unless u like spicey)
garlic powder
onion powder
oregano (not a lot)

I cook the ground beef with those seasonings, then i add one of those small cans of tomato paste and a little bit of chalula hot sauce (Chalula hot sauce isn't high on the heat scale, its more flavor than heat) and let it reduce. Remember to taste it along the way to make sure you didn't over or under do something.

I figured this out because my hubby and i love tacos also and i almost never remember to buy taco seasoning packets. I'm hispanic, so those commonly used hispanic spices like cumin are staples in my house. I noticed right away that the cumin is really the key to making it taste right so whatever you do, do not forget the cumin! Hope that helps Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
E.D.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008 06:12:42 PM »

Here's the recipe I use.  It was from an old cookbook which I don't remember the name of.  I think it tastes like the pre-packaged stuff.

Taco Seasoning
2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp crushed dried red chili peppers
1 tsp garlic powder (make sure it's not garlic salt)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin

Mix it all together and add to taste.  When I first made it I wasn't sure about putting oregano in but it does taste good.  I was worried it might make it taste too italian but it doesn't.

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 05:20:22 PM »

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

I will definitely try those suggestions out. I did think of finding "copycat" recipes but none of them included what was on the package. And as for copying the package, all it says is onion, garlic, peppers and "spice" (plus 3 or 4 things I can't pronounce Undecided)

Thank you all again... Cumin is the very first thing on my grocery list for this week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittin_pretty
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008 03:53:09 PM »

Try this one:
Lawry's Taco Seasoning   
From Chef Tom:"I never buy those seasoning packages at the store anymore.  Whypay extra for spices I already have at home?  I just mix a batchtogether and store it in a sealed container for whenever needed. Feel free to add a little more Cayenne for some extra kick!"
1 1/4 Teaspoon Chili powder
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Teaspoon minced onion
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
1/8 Teaspoon Ground oregano
1 Tablespoon Flour
Combine all of these dry ingredients in a small bowl. Store in anair tight container.
Need the instructions for tacos that always comes on the back ofthe package???
To prepare the meat filling for tacos preheat a large skillet.  Brown 1 pound ground beef; drain the fat.  Add your Taco Seasoningthat you prepared previously and 2/3 cup water to the beef; mixthoroughly. 
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook,uncovered, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve taco filling with warmed taco shells or tortillas.
Top withshredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese and chopped tomato or freshsalsa.
This recipe makes enough meat filling for 12 tacos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\_/) Help Mr. Rabbit take over.
(o.o) He eats the nonbelievers...
(> <) Copy Mr. Rabbit or be EATEN!
iamblessed
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008 02:10:35 PM »

I have a recipe similar to what's been given already, but I still do use the prepackaged ones - you can get them at walmart (the generic kind) for around 35 cents!  Smiley  Happy taco making!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bert Fink Talks About The Sound of Music Pop-Up Book
Alan Snow Talks About Here Be Monsters
Rebecca Chance Talks About Divas
Reynolds Price Reveals Who He Admires Most
Wake Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...