A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reconned and painted sweatshirt  (Read 1804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

papercups
« on: July 22, 2008 08:21:12 AM »

ok. so i actually own a camera, a real and functional wonderful digital SLR, but out of convenience i am always, always taking pictures with my stupid crap cell phone so these pictures are god awful and fuzzy and low-res and i apologize profusely.

this is actually a recon of two sweatshirts. the white one is a regular old craft-store crewneck sweatshirt that cost me $0.50 on clearance. i cut it up the middle and hand sewed (terrible and childish hand sewing skills ahead, trust me) a white sport zipper into it.
i then was given a red american eagle sweatshirt from about 10 years ago, which i cut the hood off of and sewed onto the crew neck, and voila, instant hacked together hoodie.

there exist no pictures of this process because im an idiot.

anywho, thats why this is a recon, and now, we can move onto the real idiocy:

i am obsessed with jimmy eat world  Roll Eyes and the following is an extremely bad interpretation of a little logo that was included in the album artwork of their last record. the paints are all textile paint, with some inclusion of sharpie as it is truly hard to paint on a sweatshirt without the proper equipment (ie i should have had something to hold it down and pull it taut...)

behold the crap sewing! charmingly stupid looking!

the back of the sweatshirt

blurry, god, im so sorry, its so unwise to present your work in such a manner, i know.

with detail of the star i painted on the cuff, and also my white white thigh...

close up- not the greatest painting technique of all time, admittedly

the best part about the whole thing is that the color has the definite appearance of a watercolor wash. i achieved this on accident, really, i just had far too much water on my paintbrush initially... but i quite like it in retrospect.

iron on stars... i used them in attempts to cover up the ratty looking logo on the hood...

this is what it looks like on, whilst standing in the bathroom, in the middle of the night, in the dead of summer, sweating sweating sweating. i tried really hard to take the best picture i could but i was superly uncomfortable.

OH MY GOD THE SWEATING

and lastly, text detail.

well, so it isnt the most professional looking thing, i know.

my question is: do i cover the whole darn thing in more paint? do a watercolor-type wash over the whole sweatshirt? i think it is lacking in the extreme still, and any comments or suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks for looking Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sew. draw. paint. write. sleep. sleep. sleep.
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008 08:53:04 AM »

I love it Smiley

I like the way the colours of the back of the hoodie look like watercolour.

It's a very different effect.

Well done.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008 09:22:06 AM »

i like the back. it looks really pretty and boutiquey. if you want to add more oomph, maybe do a swirl type pattern on the front near the pockets (if it has pockets). also, i think the hood is a bit off. from the pictures, (i don't know IRL) it doesn't appear to connect with the colors in the painting part. Perhaps find a white one and paint on the top of the hood too? and down the sides of your head. i like the stars on the cuffs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunarouge

the gypsy-punk hybrid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 10:52:33 AM »

yay! you used "retrospect"! that makes me happy =]

i use it in conversation some times & my friends look at me weird. lol.

anyway...i really love the watercolor wash on the back. in my opinion, you should just nix the hood, so as to not cover up your awesome artwork, but if you do want to keep it, i agree with melyssa_marie...a white hood seems like it would go nicely.

great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I couldnt see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything. ~Twilight [[<3]]
starsandmelodies

Trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008 09:16:56 PM »

That wash effect is SPECTACULAR. Any rainbow color scheme and swirl patterns are both wins for me, so you could say this recon is a win-win. Definitely inspiring. When you say textile paint, do you mean fabric paint of the type that comes in little tubs and bottles, or something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://wists.com/starsandmelodies
ellie_jelly
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008 05:44:56 AM »

wow, i love this.
love the back with the watercolour effect...& the bird Smiley
hmmmm, i feel like painting now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you were only waiting for this moment to arrive <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Swiss Watches Lack Innovative Design
Basic Techniques of Making Beads Jewelry
Meet Jewelry Artist Carolyn McManus
Making Jewelry with Carolyn McManus
How to Dye Wood Bangle Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...