A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costumes...in July? (TDK!!!)  (Read 6223 times)
Tags for this thread: superhero , shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

great_heights

world enough and time

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2008 05:13:42 AM »

This weekend, i had the most awesome opportunity to go to a midnight showing of The Dark Knight!!! So it follows that i went, along with a big group of my friends, all decked out in costume. It was so fun, we took up two rows in the theater and we were all different dc comic characters (ie, zatanna, scarecrow, wonderwoman, twoface)

Now, i know that halloween costumes go on the halloween board but i couldnt in good consience put them there when these were made to celebrate not that special holiday but instead my most favorite superhero. With my case defended, on to the pictures!

That's me!

The corset was something i made as part of my prom dress last spring (which i still havent posted on craftster yet...long story) it's a little hard to see covered by the shrug but it's what the lace is coming from.

The skirt is something new made especially for this occasion. it's just a simple square skirt with two layers that don't match up at the corners.  i know that i've seen someone post a tute. about this type of skirt some where here on craftster and i would have linked it for you if i remembered where it was. sorry

now, the fun part was my belt and mask. i got a wide belt from the goodwill and painted it along with a few tictack boxes and chapsticks (i was so happy that it actually worked out to look like a utility belt).  I used sculpey clay for the belt buckle and for the mask. very fun!

enough of my costume because my little sister's is more exciting.  all summer, my eleven-year-old sister would pout when i told her she couldn't come with me to graduation parties, so i knew that she would just about die if she got to come with me to The Dark Knight and to a before-movie party with a bunch of post-grad kids.

anyways, as any dc comic character was fair game, she came as...Raven from Teen Titans!!!  I have to admit that i'm very proud of her costume considering i pulled it together in two days.

isn't she so cute!!!
we got her hair color from a party store

her cape was made from blue cotton and includes a hood

sculpey clay came to the rescue again in the form of all her accessories: belt, cape clasp, hair charm

the rest of her costume came from things that we own because we didn't have enough time to be more creative. She's wearing my black swimsuit and my jazz shoes (because we couldn't find blue boots like Raven wears Sad ps. is it weird that we wear the same shoe size?)

A picture of sisterly love and all our superhero-y goodness

sorry to spend so much time telling you my entire life story but hope you enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KaeMarie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008 05:19:29 AM »

Absolutely too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, we'd have peace. -John Lennon

A dream alone is just a dream, a dream together is a reality. -Yoko Ono
PunkyPenguin
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008 05:23:26 AM »

I absolutely love the utility belt and your sister's Raven costume is adorable.  You did a great job on on the accessories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Give me a box of kittens, stat!
great_heights

world enough and time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 05:47:21 AM »

thanks! sculpey clay was my best friend through the whole project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deSamothrace
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 06:46:00 AM »

yay!  you can never be to early for halloween!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archerpren
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 08:29:01 AM »

faaantasic! i have to say i love making costuems but hate making clothes. i dont know why. anyways i make them all year long for absolutley no reason. hahaha i love your costumes and you and you sis are so cute. i would love to see the prom dress too! btw how old are you to be sewing so well. there are a lot of HS girls on here who sew. and they say its a dying art. ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chloesmama
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 11:32:43 AM »

I LOVED the Dark Knight! Ok now that that is out of the way..lol...you did a GREAT job on both of your costumes.  Glad you were able to include your little sister too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008 12:17:26 PM »

your costumes are so cool!! i love your sister's costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
limegreenjelly

Lesson One Learnt: Dont Sew Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008 01:08:11 PM »

loving the batwoman outfit ^^ woop cant wait for dark knight to come out at the movies
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasyvintage
the sewing lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008 03:32:08 PM »

I love costumes...Awesome job on both!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage and contemporary patterns...

http://pandasewingboutique.etsy.com

modern classic weddings and clothing

http://fantasyvintagewear.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Andrew Zolli Talks About Resilience
Torn Book Trailer
Mann and Ornstein on the Hazards of Partisanship
How to Make Money by Self Publishing
Howard Jacobson on the Importance of Comedy, Filth and Sex
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...