A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: that ebay (venting)  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessie_jane
« on: July 21, 2008 07:18:13 PM »

i've been trying all weekend to get a serger, then today i thought i totally got it n someone swooped in and took it from me. this bidding is frustrating
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julyseventeen
handmade clothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008 08:27:54 PM »

Hi!
I'm from Canada and I was dying to get myself a serger this weekend too! And I did! But I had to drive an hour and a half to the States to get a good deal. I ended up getting a Babylock Evolve serger. It was pricey though!! I got a good discount thankfully because I offered to pay in US Cash. Smiley Give it a try if the eBay thing doesn't work out for you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008 04:32:20 AM »

Just take a deep breath and keep looking for the one  you want.  Set it up to automatically email you when one of the ones you want comes up...
It took me 3 years to win a Bond knitting machine with serger - and when it arrived it was broken... Yeah.  now THAT is depressing to say the least!!  Anyhoo.... that has been taken care of.  I actually found someone with a spare section that she can sell me - woo hooo - and the seller refunded me the amount so that I can replace it - I gave him no choice pretty much - either that or I would file a paypal claim for misrepresentation.  He knew it was broken.  Anyone could see that there was a section that did not look like the other if you know what I mean. It was the sore thumb sticking out..

But in the end. I got it...
Hopefully it won't take you 3 years to get the one you want!
Jump back in there and get back on that horse!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
thewritegirl
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008 04:50:40 PM »

OP, are you familiar with the term "sniping" as it relates to ebay? That sounds like what happened to you, and you just need to become the snipER. There are actually programs that you can purchase, I believe, that do it for you, but basically it goes like this: Figure out when the item you want is ending. Do NOT put a bid on it. Open two windows on your computer - the first one with the auction pulled up. On the second one, pull up ebay, sign in, go to the auction that you want to get, place the bid, and do NOT press confirm. Then, continue to refresh the first page (the auction that shows how much time is left) until the very last minute. Figure out by the time that goes by between refreshing how long it takes your connection to reload. Then, at the last minute (literally, like when there is less than a minute left), hit "confirm bid" on that other page. Hopefully, no one swoops in a few seconds after you, and you are good to go!

The other, less stressfull, way to go, is to continue to watch craigslist like a hawk.

Either way, what I have found is that as soon as you get one, you will see a million others for sale just like it, but cheaper!  Huh Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessie_jane
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008 05:51:26 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Thats what was so frustrating, i was using esnipe, i guess i wasn't bidding high enough for the babylock, but i got an older singer yesterday. So i'm waiting the arrival, trying to be patient, as i know learning to thread a serger takes patience. yay something new to fiddle with
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beingv
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008 02:45:03 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Thats what was so frustrating, i was using esnipe, i guess i wasn't bidding high enough for the babylock, but i got an older singer yesterday. So i'm waiting the arrival, trying to be patient, as i know learning to thread a serger takes patience. yay something new to fiddle with

Exactly!  I'd add to make sure that you place your highest bid when sniping.  Nothing worse than losing out at the last second because you didn't bid your max.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Enhanced Book on Historic Moments in the Civil Rights Movement
Taylor Branch on the Importance of Civil Rights
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Taylor Branch on College Students and Sit in Movement
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...