A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Gryffindor Scarf! POA (trapped bar) style  (Read 25670 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2008 03:48:26 PM »

I knit a Gryffindor scarf for my lovely partner, rosesanplacebos, in the recent "I Miss Harry Potter Swap".

Here it is, all wrapped up for presentation:

This photo shows its length a bit, and the fringe:

I used the atypically.knit pattern to make this scarf, with some modifications, such as making the fringe a bit longer than the pattern calls for.  I also used larger needles and cast on fewer stitches to get the width.

Because it is knit in the round, the scarf is a long tube.  Here are some shots of the edge of the scarf (the scarf is folded in half, then rolled up):

Closer detail of the edges:

And here it is with some other little Gryffindor items (little "extras" for the swap), crochet flower brooches made by my DD and a mug cozy made with the scarf's MC yarn:

See how the fringe is about the same length as the large MC stripes?  I think a longer fringe like this is a bit more feminine.  If I were making this for a guy, I would probably use the shorter fringe length from the atypically.knit pattern, which is more like the fringe in the movie scarves.  And don't worry, rosesanplacebos gave me creative license on this item, so she wasn't expecting a movie replica anyway!  Cheesy

Rosesanplacebos posted a lovely action shot here in the swap gallery!

Craft info:

Made for: rosesanplacebos
Swap: "I Miss Harry Potter Swap"
Date: Mid June - Early July, 2008
Pattern: atypically.knit pattern, with modifications: larger needles (size 10), co 72 stitches, made fringe about 6" long (same as length of large MC stripe)
Needles: size 10 bamboo 16" circular
Yarn: Utopia worsted-weight acrylic, Pomegranate (MC) and Maize (CC)
Dimensions: About 8.5 feet long, 8 inches wide
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009 09:01:03 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
Avian Flight
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008 05:29:36 PM »

gorgeous scarf and gorgeous pictures! nice post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 06:43:24 PM »

Lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tasket.basket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008 07:18:03 PM »

Avian Flight, thank you!  I'm glad you like it!  Grin

TheCraftyCat, thank you so much!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
Insignia
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 07:21:03 PM »

That is niiiiice. Your stitches are so even, it's hypnotic. Might have to make myself one, which could be problematic, since I'm a rubbish knitter. How long did it take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasket.basket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 07:45:53 PM »

Insignia, thank you so much!  Of course, I can see all the imperfections in my own stitches, lol, but I think the overall effect is good. Cheesy

It took about twenty hours over three weeks (including blocking and fringing).  I don't knit especially fast, but I took it everywhere -- to the park with the kids, out to dinner (to knit before the food arrived Wink ), to the movies (for before the film started), everywhere!  I'm always knitting or crocheting everywhere anyway, so I just fit in the scarf during the swap!

It is a really easy pattern -- and because you knit in the round, you knit every row.  You don't ever have to purl!  I really recommend going for it.  It's more of a matter of patience (not an exciting pattern, lol) than anything else. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wists
DaringToBeGreat

freckle, freckle, what makes you so special?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 05:09:17 PM »

That scarf is gorgeous! It looks professionally made and much better than a lot of the HP scarves I've seen. I wish I had known about the swap! I love and miss HP so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heartsanddaggers
happily infested with a chinese crested

i have pneumonia. very sick. :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008 06:28:18 PM »

the scarf is beautiful!  i've made several myself in the first year style for all the different houses.  i must say that i'm most impressed with your brilliant photo skills... none of my pics ever seem to turn out that lovely Smiley  ps  i miss harry too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i don't have babies; i have tattoos.  - me
*sigh*  i know.  - my mom

***i have pneumonia and have been on bed rest for the last week or so.  i'm slowly trying to get up and around, but please know i'm very sick and will respond to everyone ASAP!!  so sorry!!**

www.wists.com/wellie
tasket.basket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008 12:06:51 PM »

DaringToBeGreat , thank you so much for your kind words!

I wish I had known about the swap! I love and miss HP so much!

There's a discussion in the New Swap Theme Ideas board about a new HP swap in August: Harry Potter Forever?

You could sign up for that one when the sign ups start!  I'll have to sit out the August swap, but I'll do the one in the fall.  (Nothing specific yet, I'm just confidant there will be one in the fall. Wink )

heartsanddaggers, you are so sweet!  Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, too!

i've made several myself in the first year style for all the different houses.

That is awesome!  The last scarf I made (for the last HP swap) was a first-year book-colors Ravenclaw House scarf.  It's a personal crafty goal of mine to make one of each house, in either stripe pattern!  So I'm going to need a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin swap partner at some point.  Two down, two to go!  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wists
heartsanddaggers
happily infested with a chinese crested

i have pneumonia. very sick. :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008 12:44:53 PM »

So I'm going to need a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin swap partner at some point.  Two down, two to go!

i would totally be your slytherin partner ~ i ADORE their colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i don't have babies; i have tattoos.  - me
*sigh*  i know.  - my mom

***i have pneumonia and have been on bed rest for the last week or so.  i'm slowly trying to get up and around, but please know i'm very sick and will respond to everyone ASAP!!  so sorry!!**

www.wists.com/wellie
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Suzanne Corso’s The Suite Life
Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn
A Certain Summer by Patricia Beard
Self-Published Millionaire Authors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...