A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me! Scarf or continue on 2 B shawl????  (Read 1064 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

staysik
« on: July 21, 2008 02:40:12 PM »

Please give me your opinion.  I was going to make this into a scarf, but I have enough yarn & could even add more colors to make a shawl out of it.  So my question:  should I finish it as a scarf, or make it in2 a shawl??   And question 2: if I do continue on to make this in2 a shawl, should I add other colors, change the stripe sequence, or keep the colors and strips the same- or change one and not the other Smiley  ??  Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Staysik">Arte de Shelley</a>
pixie5
lover of fabric, beads, and paint

keep on keepin' on

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008 02:48:44 PM »

i think if you add a couple more colors to the sequence and repeat, it will be a beautiful shawl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

they could catch us, or they could kill us, but they can never crush our spirit

www.waterlizard.ets y.com
MEshelltakeone
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 02:48:59 PM »

oh, i really like the color/stripe sequence, i would def leave it. as far as a scarf or a shawl.....depends on which one would be used more ( if you are keeping it, would you use a scarf or a shawl more?) i personally like scarves... Grin

either way its lovely!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008 02:59:32 PM »

Oh, it's pretty!  I agree, that you should make it into whichever you'll use more.  Here in southern LA, scarves aren't in high demand (though what am I working on right now, but the world's second longest scarf?...), however, shawls are fantastic for bringing to highly air-conditioned places.  Which one will you, or the recipient, get the most use of?  And with the stripes, what colors were you thinking of adding?  I'm always all for more colors in a thing, but what you have already work beautifully in that stripe pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
staysik
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 03:22:33 PM »

Oh, it's pretty!  I agree, that you should make it into whichever you'll use more.  Here in southern LA, scarves aren't in high demand (though what am I working on right now, but the world's second longest scarf?...), however, shawls are fantastic for bringing to highly air-conditioned places.  Which one will you, or the recipient, get the most use of?  And with the stripes, what colors were you thinking of adding?  I'm always all for more colors in a thing, but what you have already work beautifully in that stripe pattern.
Thank you all for the feedback and compliments.  Very good advice!  I have no idea if I'll give it or keep it.  I usually gift away or sell most of my stuff, but I really like this and I was thinking of keeping it.  I live in SLC, Utah so we get 4 seasons here.  I use shawls and scarfs, and love 'em both!! I'm really having a hard time deciding!  As for the colors and stripe sequences, the colors would not vary much - maybe a lavender and or a lavender/greyish color, and/or a lighter version of the green/olive color (and maybe light pink) and I was thinking I could do either 4 rows of a color, and then 2 of the others, and then 4 again.  Or completely random stripes. Or just repeat the four colors over and over again, two rows each time.  I just can't think of what would be best.  Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urbanstitcher001
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 04:07:35 PM »

that looks fantastic. i would make it into a shawl. i love the colors you used. However, if you do keep it as a scarf, it would still look great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008 04:14:32 PM »

Beautiful colors and pattern! I'm with everyone who has said go with the garment type that you'll wear most -- it would be a shame to make something so beautiful, then hardly ever wear it. :-) It looks great as is, but I could also see it as a scarf. Good work! thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
thismightbegrace
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008 04:31:40 PM »

I think it looks wonderful and practical the way it is.  You gotta be able to wear it out of the house all the time. How else will you get wonderful complements?

How about starting a new one and getting the best of both worlds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Violet LeBeaux
Making cute junk.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008 07:24:29 PM »

I agree with thismightbegrace Make both! A girl can never have enough accessories Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run one of those blog things, it's full of craft and beauty tutorials... www.VioletLeBeaux.c om
staysik
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008 01:58:33 PM »

I think it looks wonderful and practical the way it is.  You gotta be able to wear it out of the house all the time. How else will you get wonderful complements?

How about starting a new one and getting the best of both worlds?
I agree with thismightbegrace Make both! A girl can never have enough accessories Wink

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  My fianee thought I should do the same thing, after much discussion.  Make another one- only this one would be the shawl.  I agree too on never having enough accessories, of course my fiancee may not see it that way. Wink  And when I have to move I'm always astonished as to the # of hats and scarfs we have.  I think I will  probably  add fringe to this scarf, and start working on making a shawl---Sooooo do you all think I should use the same stripe patt. for the shawl, or something different?  Thank you all for looking and adding your advice and suggestions.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Glam, Pearl Mani For Prom
Rock a Major Jeweled Accent Nail on Prom Night
Get a Reverse French Manicure For Prom
How to Create the Perfect Cat-Eye on the Fly
How to Get the Flushed Cheeks Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...