A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: toile dress to match mommies skirt  (Read 1937 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zenthistle
« on: July 21, 2008 09:11:07 AM »

the other day I made a skirt from toile.. I had basically made my own pattern from another skirt.. 6 or 8  pieces similar to triangles with the ops cut off.. in a curve and the bottome curved.. any who..  My daughter kept asking why I was wearing it all the time and asked for  a dress out of the material.. I have never made her anything to wear..  so .. i thought what could I possible do.. I  made up the bottom of the skirt just eyeballed the whole thing,, using another dress of hers to manage somewhat right size...   I tried doing it to the top as well I wanted it to be sleeveless as well as easy to put on. (she wears a dress everyday because she says it super easy to get dressed. no worrying if the top matches the bottom....)  anyways.. so I had to figure out how to match the top part of the dress to the skirt.. I did it tucking the shirt to inside out part of the skirt.. (i am sure there is a tutorial for attaching the tops of a dress to a skirt somewhere here..
Anyways.. I had a old satin sash/belt that came with a pair of jeans and I used a leafy stitch for the first time o my sewing machine.. I thought It came out cute.. I also  made pink bias tape for the first time of out a pink satin I think (my friend had given me some of her scrap material when she moved ...)   I used the same leafy stitch to attach it to the bottom of the dress..  I think the dress came out really cute.. I Had to cute the top of the back and  create button holes.. (That was a new experience for me..)  and it works but of course  I got a long way to go..  (I hate measuring and math...)  Anyways.. I know if I took time to do that I could actually  pull off a professional project.. but for now I think it decent.. and on to the pictures!

back of dress

toad visiting ... um back of dress

front

Mommy skirt  that started it all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008 09:24:11 AM »

It's adorable! My daughter would be jealous.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatC
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 10:58:59 AM »

That is beautiful!  I have some black and white toile that I am in love with, but I only bought a yard and a half so I don't have enough to do anything with it  Cry  (I refuse to buy anything less than two yards now because of this).  I love the blue and the pink accents. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008 11:10:23 AM »

so cute! great job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenthistle
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 11:18:23 AM »

That is beautiful!  I have some black and white toile that I am in love with, but I only bought a yard and a half so I don't have enough to do anything with it  Cry  (I refuse to buy anything less than two yards now because of this).  I love the blue and the pink accents. 

You could make a bandana halter and it would be super cute... with mabe a 2 inch thick ribbin as the tie...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 01:09:50 PM »

Very cute!  I love toile fabric!!  I have a lot of it in the basement that I bought a while back.  I might have to get it out now... 
Beautiful!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wazgud

IT's A Beautiful DAY!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008 07:43:26 PM »

yesyes! i love it!

it's adorable and she's gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"there's more to life than being really really ridiculously good-looking"
KatC
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008 06:53:53 AM »

You could make a bandana halter and it would be super cute... with mabe a 2 inch thick ribbin as the tie...

That's a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008 07:19:27 AM »

I've never been a fan of toile fabric but that dress is soooo pretty!  Great job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008 08:09:56 AM »

You did a wonderful job on her dress.  She looks so beautiful in it, too - love what you did with her hair, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Sixties Retro Halloween Makeup
How to Do a DIY Facial
The Wildest Facial We Ever Tried
Leighton Meester Shares Her Favorite Beauty Products
How to Make a Yogurt Mask At Home
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...