A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have no idea where to start!  (Read 427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2008 07:18:55 PM »

I'm trying to teach myself to knit and I'm starting with a pattern for a knit cap from the book Bazaar Bizarre (which is where I first heard of this site, actually Smiley ). I'm also using a bunch of online resources because I can hardly figure out the illustrations. I think I'm a little slow when it comes to instructions. I've done a slip knot and cast on the 1st 88 stitches that are required by the pattern. I understand how to do a knit stitch (generally) but in all the tutorials I've found on doing a knit stitch, the people knitting already have stitches started on the other needle. How do I start on the other needle? Do I have to cast on to that needle as well, or do I start stitches some other way. Where is all that yarn coming from?! I'm so confused!!! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008 07:37:12 PM »

Have you tried the knittinghelp.com website?   It has lots of good knitting tutorial videos.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008 07:46:45 PM »

Try the Demo of a Small project video on the knitting help site, it shows what to do after you CO. Which is put the needle with the sts on it in your left hand and take the empty needle in your right and insert it into the first st on the other needle. Wrap the yarn, let the stitch fall off the left needle and insert into the next stitch. You may want to also look at the knit stitch video too.

Also, is the pattern for knitting in the round or knitting flat? Does it say join after the CO and call for circular needles, or just straight needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 10:45:58 AM »

The pattern calls for circular needles, which I'm using, and it does say to join after the cast-ons. I think I pretty much understand what to do now. I feel stupid, that was so simple!  Grin Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 11:15:12 AM »

Did you go check out the Advanced Techniques page that has videos for knitting in the round? That will show you how to `join', which is nothing more than knitting the first CO stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Museum Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...