A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nekomimi cat-ear girl face repaint WIP - advice? (ADOLESCENT DOLL NUDITY)  (Read 4248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 20, 2008 02:40:35 PM »

OK i think this is the right name for girls that are also cats... i know less than 10 words of japanese, so please excuse if i got it wrong.

It was cat-eared, after all.

anyway...

i got this goofy fairy doll with this drugged expression:

and i have removed her faceup with acetone and then washed her face very well to hopefully stop the effects of acetone on the plastic:

(she is with other dolls that are getting new faces, too)

and i really like this kind of cat doll (but not the price!!) as well as the catwalk kitties and mme. alexander french kitties...

so i thought, i could repaint this doll as a catgirl.

here is my sketch (along with an inspiration from a magazine advert). 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natalialove/sets/72157606148306523/

i would like to know some creative criticisms that would help me, once i get some quality acrylic paints, to get it right.
NOTE: i am going for a more catface version (not just a girl with cat ears like the girl in the manga picture)... so her nose would be a cat nose, etc...

also do you think i need to change the ears?  i have something for adding to doll sculpts, well, i'm getting it in the mail... but i wondered if the ears weren't already OK, being sort of pointy and all...

THANK YOU for any ideas!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008 08:25:17 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008 08:37:13 PM »

She is going to look so much better than the original! I can already tell from your sketch! There is a website that gives tutorials on the kind of thing that you're doing. The artist even posts her work here on craftster. She also has a list of links for other artist tutorials. Let me see if I can find it...
Here's her site:
http://www.tabloach.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 04:06:00 AM »

how could i forget?!  (but i did)  and yes you are right, she has tutorials links there.  some i have already read, but there are some new-to-me in there as well.

thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008 04:06:40 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Graciechan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 01:52:06 AM »

she is gonna be so cute!
*scours thrift stores for abandoned dollies*
if I were you i'd build the ears out of super sculpey or epoxy, or cast them in resin.Then I would have magnets so she can be a human girl too  Wink and take the ears off.
If I were you I might sand the mouth down a bit, and carve it a bit- but that's just me. I'm not into smiling dolls  Roll Eyes

I really want a Nikki & Odeco too  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008 02:19:04 AM by funkysockmonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 01:09:53 PM »

i like the cast ears idea... i might even use that for another doll(s) that i might want to make into catgirls.  i have 2 of these "what's her face" that are like Wee3Friends but... without a face.  yeah.  nowonder they didn't sell; probably creeped kids out.

can't remember if they have ears, though.  if not, i have your solution now!  (or did you mean the cat ears could fit *over* human ears? that would be neat, too)

i really want to sand down the mouths of the other two, actually.  do you think the expression of the one on the left (the not-bratz one) is too creepy-perky to be salvaged?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 03:43:28 PM »

There is a doll artist who posted a zombie baby that she modified with cernit. You could do a search, and then ask her about how she did it. I know that when dolls are reborned, they heat them up at a low temp in the oven to cure the paint. So, it may be possible to sculpt the clay directly to the existing ears and then, bake them on the doll, take them off, and reapply with glue. Also in the links that I gave you, there's one about how to close a smiling mouth. I'm sure you could use an x-acto blade to shave down the mouth, and then perhaps wet sand it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 05:58:33 PM »

i was thinking of using "apoxie-sculpt".  and some just came in the mail!
i hope i can figure out how to work it.  i am not great with epoxy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Graciechan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008 03:26:00 AM »

I agree, the one on the left IS pretty creepy, but with a bit of careful sanding and painting and a new lip job, it should be perfect!
If you look at the pics of this doll here:
http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/nekomimi/pink.html
you may get some more inspiration for your nekomimi girl. That doll is made of cloth, but don't ya think it's soooo adorable? I really want a nekomimi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008 04:33:52 AM »

that's where i got the name (and probably the idea)... glad i remembered it right.
OH it means cat-EAR, not cat-GIRL.  huh.  (add to small list of japanese words in my not very awake brain; change thread-title...)
BUT i forgot the name of the website.  i need to organize my bookmarks something awful.
so, thanks for that link!

i think this one is my favorite: http://dolls.nunodoll.com/nekomimi/yukata.html - i just like her style a lot.
i need to look at all these and observe the eyes, especially.
also, i definitely want to try the ears-on-top way with a different doll.  trying to find the right one, though.

i think i will try sanding down part of the lips on the scary smile doll, and adding the epoxy stuff to fill in, rather than cutting away the mouth.  mainly because i think it's way too big a mouth opening to glue together like tabloach does with her kelly dolls.

i'll have to investigate cernit.  it rings a bell, but i don't really know about it.
people that customize blythes, pullips, momokos, etc... a lot of them seem to use "mister super clear" sealer over top of their painted faces.  so i was thinking to get some of that...

i wouldn't want to bake a doll.  that just creeps me out, not only the possible damage to the doll but also i am trying never to heat plastics inside the home again (not even tupperwares in the microwave), just because of a lot of things i have read lately about the chemical dangers of plastics.  (sorry if i am being paranoid, but we already have enough respiratory issues, especially my husband, and i don't want to make anything worse.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Graciechan
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008 05:32:47 AM »

Yup, Mr super clear is great for coating smoothly over the tops of face ups, I'm a blythe person and that's what everyone does for making a matte effect on the face without removing the makeup.
I like the pink nekomimi the best, but I'm a lolita freak  Roll Eyes just gotta find the right doll to mod! I may use an obitsu body and blank dollfie head, but the bigger ones all seem to be expensive  Embarrassed

ETA:: I was scouring Pullipstyle today and found this:
http://pullipstyle.com/resource/viewtopic.php?t=11950
It's a tut on making elf ears for a pullip. I know you're making cat ears but could you mod the elf ear shape a bit?
hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008 10:44:10 AM by funkysockmonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Products for Your Hair Type
How to Straighten Afro Hair
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Create a Messy Knot
How to Be a Beautiful Redhead
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...