A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How does one grind apricot seeds?  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ellison Wonderland
« on: July 20, 2008 01:07:13 PM »

Hi, I've got a lot of apricots in my house and I was considering grinding up the seeds for use in soaps, scrubs etc...is it possible to do at home? I don't want to ruin the blender. Also, I've heard that some seeds contain poisons on the inside, for example cyanide in peaches and arsenic in apples...do I need to worry about that?

(Thanks in advance!  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008 01:07:36 PM by Ellison Wonderland » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmk3482
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008 06:48:03 PM »

I'm not sure about poisons in seeds but I personally have a Magic Bullet Blender. It comes with a normal blade for blending and a flat grinding blade for nuts and hard things. This is what I intend to use for grinding things. You can buy a Magic Bullet at Walmart for $50 I think.

Or, you might be able to find a cheaper coffee bean grinder. I have never used one but they are designed for grinding hard beans. That would probably do the job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mysewingcircle.com/
A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.
bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008 07:08:52 PM »

A coffee grinder would work perfectly. Check thrift stores, they might have a small one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
Foisty
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008 07:52:18 PM »

Im sure their okay to use I mean st Ives has that apricot scrub so I think its ok.As for using a magic bullet or coffee grinder I wouldnt try it-they arent made for that.I know the magic bullet isnt a good blender-I have one and its crap.A vita mix blender is the best one on the market-they blend everything.But for a much less expensive alternative try a motar and pestle they work fine for grinding seeds and nuts
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisedpeach22

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008 08:02:09 PM »

Coffee grinders work perfectly for grind flax seeds and other small seeds so I don't see why they wouldn't work for apricot seeds as well. A mortar and pestle is labor intensive but cheap and never breaks.Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
Foisty
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008 08:10:43 PM »

arent apricot kernals much harder and bigger than flax seeds though?
BTW this has some stuff on apricot toxicity-they seem ok if you dont eat them or soak them and drink the liquid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apricot_kernel
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008 08:22:41 PM by Foisty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisedpeach22

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008 08:29:23 PM »

http://www.apricotpower.com/learn.asp This site has info on the toxicity. If a blender works, a coffee grinder would be just as good. Other sites suggest either one to grind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
jmk3482
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008 10:06:19 AM »

As for using a magic bullet or coffee grinder I wouldnt try it-they arent made for that.I know the magic bullet isnt a good blender-I have one and its crap.A vita mix blender is the best one on the market-they blend everything.But for a much less expensive alternative try a motar and pestle they work fine for grinding seeds and nuts

I'm not arguing with you about your opinion of the magic bullet because I don't know what you use it for and I do know people who don't like it but I LOVE mine. I use it every other day. And I've used it to grind nuts for homemade nut butter and also for turning cracked corn into a POWDER for baby chickens. I think it works perfectly for what I do with it. And I feel confident that it would grind seeds.

Now, if you want a coarse chop for chunky salsa or anything else coarse, yeah, no it won't really do that. It pretty much pulverizes anything you put it in.

That's why I would suggest a coffee grinder. It's cheaper, and it IS designed to grind not just coffee beans but also whole spices for fresh cooking and grains. As demonstrated on this page: http://indianfood.about.com/od/shoppingonline/tp/popcoffeegrind.htm

And I don't know how much expendable cash everyone on this forum has but I personally have very little. The BASIC Vita Mix blender is $450.00, plus shipping. And that one even says on the page, that it isn't designd to grind grains. Here's the page - https://secure.vitamix.com/acb/stores/4/Vita-Mix-5200-P748C108.aspx

The one that is for grinding grains is $550.00 and here's that page - https://secure.vitamix.com/acb/stores/4/Vita-Mix-Super-5200-P730C108.aspx

I just wanted everyone to be very clear on the facts. Again, I'm not trying to argue I just wanted to put in my two cents. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Foisty
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008 01:48:14 PM »

I know how expensive the Vita-Mix is-thats  why I suggested the mortar and pestle.Besides if you can afford it you'll never need to buy another one because it has a lifetime guarantee, they'll replace the blender or its broken/defective parts; it also works much better than a standard blender. My Magic Bullet must have something wrong with it if yours works so well, I try to blend my frozen fruit and yogurt together-not a chunky chop-very well blended and it barely grinds the fruit into a thick paste Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmk3482
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008 05:25:25 PM »

Yes, trust me, if I had $600 to spend on a blender, I would definitely get one, but I don't.

My magic bullet does frozen fruit just fine. BUT it can be tricky to get it to blend if there's a lot of fruit packed in there. I have to do quick pushes to get it to pulse and if that doesn't work I have to take the container off, with the blade on, BANG it on the counter and SHAKE it to get the chunks unstuck. I bang it on the non-blade end of the container to move the food away from the blades. And I DO have trouble getting it to crush ice properly. If you do the shake and bang method, it usually will blend frozen fruit very well. Also, if the food is too dry, it gets stuck to the bottom near the blades and doesn't allow the rest to blend, so a little liquid usually does the trick.

I will admit, the magic bullet is NOT the perfect blender, and it does take a good beating to make it work. But for what I use it for, I love it. We eat a lot of grated cheese and it's perfect for that as long as you only do a couple oz. at a time and the cheese is not too wet.

It's not the best blender for everything. I would still love to have a Vitamix blender but that is no where in my remote future.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
6 Ways to Look Great While Going Gray
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
How to Wear Your Favorite Summer Braids in Fall
How To Curl Hair With No Heat
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...