A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rum Cake help please?  (Read 409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LizardKirk
« on: July 20, 2008 11:38:23 AM »

Hi cooking wizards!

Hope some one can help me with what is probably a really dopey question...

The company my hubby works for has recently aquired a Bermudan partner - which is a little weird - we're in the channel islands, in the uk, but business is business I guess. Anyway, they want to celebrate this on the 1st of August, with a dress down day and so on, apparently it's a bank holiday in Bermuda. I sent in the off-cuts from the last cake I made (waste not!), and this prompted them to ask me if I would make "a couple of large cakes" for the whole company to have some traditional bermudan rum cake. They'll pay me to do it, too... :-D

So, I started to do some investigation on the net, and came up with a few recipes, but almost all of them ask for "yellow cake mix" or some kind of pudding mix... and I feel really stupid but I don't know what that is! I'm guessing it's some kind of box mix for making cake - but what's in it so I can find a UK equiavalent or make my own?
Could someone help me out please? 

Also, has anyone any thoughts on how much I should charge?
Thanks ever so much for your help :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeked
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008 04:09:06 PM »

The yellow cake mix is a boxed mix but I don't know what you would use as an UK equivalent. The same goes for the pudding mix.

I have tried this recipe (below) some time ago and it was yummy!

As for what you should charge, of course the cost of all the ingredients and what you think your time is worth. Maybe you could price the going rate for bakery cakes in your area to get an idea.

Rum Pound Cake

Cooking Spray, flour or bread crumbs

3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoon dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons dark rum
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350.
To prepare cake, coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour or bread crumbs. Set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Place butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, 1 tablespoon rum, and vanilla; beat until combined. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat until just combined.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate. Invert cake again. Pierce cake liberally with a wooden pick.

While cake bakes, prepare glaze. Combine brown sugar, 2 tablespoons rum, and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, stirring until butter melts. Drizzle half of warm glaze evenly over warm cake; allow mixture to absorb into cake. Drizzle remaining glaze over cake. Cool cake completely.

Yield:  16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Edited to add that I used a bundt cake pan.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008 04:23:09 PM by keeked » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizardKirk
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 11:10:49 AM »

Wow, thank you!

I'll give that a go and see how I get on :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quilting with Japanese Taupe Fabrics
Deconstructed Crazy Quilt Technique
Easy DIY Fabric-Wrapped Bangles
DIY Wedding Dress Gift Bags
How to Make Magic Sidewalk Chalk Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...