A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: awesome black and white pleated handbag  (Read 6372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

betty_death
(it's pronounced "deeth")

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2008 04:03:58 PM »

I made this handbag using this fantastic tutorial at sewtakeahike: http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewtakeahike/2007/09/green-wool-br-2.html

I wanted a large bag, so I added about 2" to the relevant dimensions, and that worked out pretty well, for the most part. I regret not making the handles even longer (I only added about 3.5").

I love the pleats. I was really looking for a stylish bag I could get the groceries with -- too bad they're so hard to see with this fabric Wink

This was my first magnetic snap, and it was easier than I thought!

My fave aspect of this bag is probably the combination of lining and outer fabrics -- I've been waiting for just the right project to use these two fabrics.

But not everything worked out perfectly. Has anyone used this tutorial before? I have a few questions:

1.  In step 4, you sew together the two B pieces -- when do you do this with the A pieces? I'm a little tired today, so I may be missing something obvious Wink

2.  Any idea how to sew the band (C) on to the outer and lining without hand-stitching? There must be a way, but I'm just not seeing it... I tried a technique similar to how you might sew blanket binding onto a quilt, but it was a little messy (it was the first time I've ever tried that, though... I might just suck at it! Smiley.

All in all, this was a really fun project for a rainy, lazy day. I totally recommend sewtakeahike's tutorial!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008 04:07:13 PM by betty_death » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathigarn
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008 04:35:47 PM »

I LOVE the fabrics and the bag!!  It is a neat bag.

I scanned the directions and I am a bit confused!!  If I am reading it correctly, it looks like you sew the bottom pieces together and then put C on there?  Maybe I am wrong and just need to read it better. 

If I were making it, I would sew the band (C) to the bottom pieces and complete the bag part for the exterior and do the same for the lining.  Sew your handles to either part and then turn the exterior inside out and put the lining right side out inside of it.  If you have stitched the exterior at a 1/2" seam and the lining at 5/8", the lining should fit down inside of it nicely when you do this.  Stitch around the top and leave a hole big enough to pull the entire bag through it.  (Make sure your handles are down there inside the bag!)  Turn the bag and then topstitch.  If you have not already topstitched along the bottom of the band (C) from the outside, do that now and it will attach the exterior and lining together.  That line of stitching through both parts would provide a little more stability for the snap also.

As a little tip, I have learned that putting fusible interfacing on the lining helps with the snap - it gives more weight to the fabric. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

groooovy
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008 04:59:24 PM »

CUTE!  Wink

I've found the magnetic snap definitely benefits from some interfacing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daizyduke
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008 06:17:41 PM »

That's a cute bag. That fabric would also be cute as a skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008 06:48:38 PM »

beautiful work, i really like it, handsewing in the lining works best i think. otherwise you would need to make the band on the sides as one pieces and than machine together like you would a normal tote and turn through a gap in the side seam and just machine that gap up at the end.
anyhow hope that makes sense, cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mocosa

I sleep with a monster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008 07:12:42 PM »

Nice bag!! and tx u for the link to the tut  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FIND ME HERE TOO!!!
http://blog.mocosa.net
takeahike
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008 08:56:53 PM »

Your bag turned out beautiful!!!  I know, I was wondering if anyone would be able to follow my directions for the tut and it really doesn't suprise me that I may have left something out since this was my first "tutorial"!  It really looks like you must have figured it all out though from the pics of yours.  As far as your ??'s, I really dont know any other way to sew the band down on the inside except by hand so it doesn't show on the outside.  I guess if you sewed the band to the lining and then turned under the outside part of the band and machine stitched it, you could make it look clean.  I just looked over my instructions and I totally forgot to instruct to sew the outside pieces together, I never claimed to be perfect though, and hey, it's a free tut! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilikepinkrain
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008 11:56:11 PM »

i love it. the pleats are nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty_death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008 08:29:11 AM »

If I were making it, I would sew the band (C) to the bottom pieces and complete the bag part for the exterior and do the same for the lining.  Sew your handles to either part and then turn the exterior inside out and put the lining right side out inside of it.  If you have stitched the exterior at a 1/2" seam and the lining at 5/8", the lining should fit down inside of it nicely when you do this.  Stitch around the top and leave a hole big enough to pull the entire bag through it.  (Make sure your handles are down there inside the bag!)  Turn the bag and then topstitch.  If you have not already topstitched along the bottom of the band (C) from the outside, do that now and it will attach the exterior and lining together.  That line of stitching through both parts would provide a little more stability for the snap also.

As a little tip, I have learned that putting fusible interfacing on the lining helps with the snap - it gives more weight to the fabric. 

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea.  Seems like it could work.  I think I'll try that next time, kathigarn -- thank you so much!

To do the magnetic snap, I used this tutorial:
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=150

It suggests using some interfacing as well, which I did, and you guys are right, I think it makes a huge difference. Great tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betty_death

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008 08:35:59 AM »

thanks so much for your comments, everyone -- I really appreciate your input!

Your bag turned out beautiful!!!  I know, I was wondering if anyone would be able to follow my directions for the tut and it really doesn't suprise me that I may have left something out since this was my first "tutorial"!  It really looks like you must have figured it all out though from the pics of yours.  As far as your ??'s, I really dont know any other way to sew the band down on the inside except by hand so it doesn't show on the outside.  I guess if you sewed the band to the lining and then turned under the outside part of the band and machine stitched it, you could make it look clean.  I just looked over my instructions and I totally forgot to instruct to sew the outside pieces together, I never claimed to be perfect though, and hey, it's a free tut! Wink

hi takeahike! Thanks again for your tutorial, it was very nicely written -- even though I had questions, it was easy enough to figure out how to get around them and finish the bag. Much easier than many commercial patterns, so there you go Smiley

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did to attach the band -- it worked well enough, but I definitely need more practice! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing 1990s Hair Will Give You A Heaping Helping Of Nostalgia
How to Do a Waterfall Braid
How to Fake a Thick Bun Hairstyle
How to Shampoo Your Hair Correctly
Jennifer Aniston Wants Supermodel Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...