A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another question regarding NL 6613...  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

punikum
« on: July 19, 2008 10:18:07 AM »

Hi,
I knowhow popular this pattern is, such pretty results.. so I baught it :-) I copied the pattern pieces of view E, cut the fabric and only now started to read the directions...
so I have a question already - the ribbon that I'm supposed to put around the neck... I understood I'm suppose to gather it ans stitch it, but - are there any alternatives to that? don;t have that much ribbon in the correct colour at home. and - what is the correct width of the ribbon? and last - if I got it right - I am suppose to gather a ribbon, folded on one side, and stitch it... won;t it get messed up in the washer? has anyone done it? maybe rick-rack is better?

thanks,
Punikum
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008 06:33:22 PM »

I looked through 6 posts before I found one where someone actually did the ribbon (4 people skipped it all together). Anything between 1/2 and 1 inch wide should work, really. It looked like a 3/4" ribbon on the one post I saw, in the notions list is where it'll say what width ribbon is called for. If you don't have enough you could easily sew it on flat instead of ruffling it, it'll be cute either way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamato2girls
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008 11:49:09 AM »

I've made several of this pattern, I have never used the ribbon yet.  I have used piping aroundthe edges of the bodice, but I've made it plain also.  I think it is still cute as can be.  Just whatever suits your taste. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

punikum
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008 08:16:37 PM »

thank you all.
I decided to also skip it for my first try ( + I am using a very colorful fabric). and I don;t know how to do piping - so that's out too...
I'll show it soon (think it'll be done in two three days :-) )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 07:24:11 AM »

Hi.  I'm one oof the few that has tackled the ribbon trim and I personally love it!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=201221.msg2139893#msg2139893

It's a pain if you don't have a ruffler foot though.  And you need about double the length of ribbon as the placement lines indicate.  I used 5/8 or 7/8 ribbon.  And it washes well!  No bleeding or fading!  The alternative is to take a strip of fabric, roll hem the sides with a serger, then gather it.  But you don't seem like you'd want to do all that either.  Plain is cute though.  You can always get an applique and put it nerar the bottom of the hem for added interest.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

punikum
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 08:14:31 PM »

it is sooo adorable! I think the ribbon adds to the dress, though it pretty also without it... my next try will be with ribbon! you have inspired me :-)
I don;t have thst foot you mentioned, not do I have a serger... but I do have a birthday soon, a good excuse to treat myself to some things :-)
yesterday I finish the dress - no extras at all, still turned out cute, but next time...

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Contour And Elongate Your Face and Nose
Double Dare: A Pale Lip Perfect for Darker Skin Tones
Double Dare: How to Master the Gold Eyebrow Look
Double Dare: Ice-Queen Makeup Made Chic
Double Dare: The Cat-Eye Goes Punk
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...