A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to start a crochet club at my local school  (Read 1351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slystr
« on: July 19, 2008 06:55:50 AM »

this is an inner city Dallas school full of rather poor kids. I have substitute taught at the school and saw that the kids don't have alot going on other than school & not so nice home lives. When I brought my crochet in  they were fascinated and loved the amigurumi dolls & Otama I made. I made a couple of girls hats for the winter and told them they could make them too. They lit up. I talked to the principal and she said put together a plan and bring it to her. I don't have the money to buy all the supplies myself. HAs anyone here put together an after school program for elementary kids(I'm thinking 3rd -5th grade) How should I go about doing this. I really want to  try this this year. THanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessio
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008 12:40:55 PM »

You should try asking on Craigslist or a local craft club if they'd donate yarn and tools. I know most people who knit or crochet have extra, and they're usually good, too.
When you teach them, it's good to give them a piece of crochet that's already a couple inches long to teach them stitches, instead of starting from a chain. Starting from a chain stitch is the most frustrating part. It made me give up crochet when I was younger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for a bunch of different buttons, and can swap nice yarn for them ^_^
La Maestra
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008 01:54:10 PM »

Don't be afraid to hit up some stores (big, small, online) for supplies - if you can get a letter describing the school and the program (including estimated number of participants), typed on school or district letterhead, signed by the Principal or an administrator, find out whom to contact at the stores, and maybe you can get a few items.

And there's always grants available for programs - ask the principal or a grant coordinator in the district or any contact person who can let you know of any grants to apply for.

Maybe a local group of crocheting folks would want to volunteer and meet with the students periodically, and they could be encouraged to bring extra supplies.  Lots of big businesses ask their staff to participate in volunteering, and this could be fun to do, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008 04:08:04 AM »

Join your local freecycle... and post asking for assistance - you might also get some really experienced people who might also be willing to come in and teach.

It might be a dead end but you might be able to contact Clover, Susan Bates, etc and see if they would be willing to donate some hooks for the cause.  Hey.  You never know.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008 01:53:24 PM »

Other good places to ask for donations might be local churches or senior citizen centers. Sometimes older ladies who have given up crochet because of health reasons still have a lot of supplies just sitting around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
SuperSow

the Vivian Girls roll themselves in floor rugs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 09:27:01 AM »

definitely call the local yarn stores- my school started a crochet/knitting club and got lots of donations from them.  Also, look in thrift stores.  There are always a lot of hooks and yarn at our goodwill, and it's all super cheap.  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Il y a un monstre dans le lac, et il s'appelle Jean-Claude.
Mon ami le monstre sort du lac quand l'eau est trop chaude.
Le monstre vient au Lac du Bois pour jouer de la guitare.
Il aime bien manger les villageois et les monos bizarres. RAAAARAH!
kittty
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 11:30:13 AM »

I think this is an amazing idea! I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. I was in my highschool's knitting club!

The only thing I really have to add to this is that if it is at all possible, don't make it just a crochet club. Include knitting as well. Even if you aren't a knitter, you could print of some picture instructions to lend to any kids who want to try, and maybe get some donated knitting needles too. I just think that if you are going to start a club to help give these kids something to do, broaden it and let them have even more choices for things to do!

I'm really glad that you are going to do this for your students! It is a wonderful thing to do for your community!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008 11:46:19 PM »

This is such a great idea! Also maybe you can hit up some fellow craftsters! I'm not sure if it would be allowed, but maybe you could post on your city board? You might end up with another craftster who would want to come help teach!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 1/28

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry Ingredients
Preparing the Chicken for the Chicken Curry
Browning and Adding Spices to Chopped Onions
Cooking With Sonny With a Chance Star Tiffany Thornton
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...