A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big green skirt to lil green skirt  (Read 3863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justine256
נυѕтιиє.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008 08:09:12 PM »

Oh my god I'm soooo sorry about your loss. But that was a really good idea for the skirt. It turned out amazing! Good luck for more recons of her clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ich Liebe Dich.

TH♥
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008 10:48:44 PM »

I lost my mom recently too. It never occurred to me to recon some of her clothes. But then she was in her 90s and we never had the same taste in clothes.
That's very clever of you to do that and a funny, touching story. Isn't it interesting how some things insist in be done their way.
Best wishes with your healing and loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
fusbdgt
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008 11:20:55 PM »

This is a beautiful skirt to go along with what I'm sure are beautiful memories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008 11:30:20 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. That you've reconned her clothing is very poetic, especially as it seems fate was making the skirt design closer to what your mother wanted for you. I hope you do the same with the other clothing you recon and post it as well. I'm so sorry but wish you luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008 12:01:43 AM »

It's beautiful. What a great way to remember your mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008 04:38:47 AM »

So sorry about your Mother. My mom passed away 3 years ago, and she also sewed. Wish I had some of her thing she made, or her stash.

This skirt was nice before, but it looks so pretty on you now. You have very pretty legs, and the way you did the bottom is a great finish. Your mom would like what you've done.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

virsaq07
It's nice to be IMPORTANT but it's MORE important to be NICE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008 09:38:12 AM »

wooow..great job. I think you mom would be very proud of you:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you feel small and worthless, do something great - Help Someone in Need
visit me @
http://virsaq.etsy.com
http://indyacrafts.etsy.com
http://chez-vies.blogspot.com
beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008 10:44:53 AM »

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for your very kind replies.. And I'm sorry to everyone else that's lost a mom, parent, or anyone really. It's been the worst experience of my life, so everyone being kind means alot. thanks everyone for the encouragement with reconning my mom's clothes... It's turned into a sort of mission. I have a feeling most people here would have probably gladly adopted my mom if for no other reason than her craft/sewing stash.
this is maybe half of her fabric stash and some of her crafting books and  some of her notions and other craft supplies

I turned her bedroom into a creative/playspace since my mom was probably better at having fun than me. it seemed appropriate so.. yeah, lots more recons and sewing coming. It's kind of weird since we had such different taste. I wouldn't have nearly so much uhm floral. mom loved shabby chic eh? totally different styles. But even if the fabric's and clothes aren't necessarily to my taste I think I need to work through at least a fair bit of her stash and clothing for emotional reasons.. so lots, lots, lots more florals to be posted. I'm saving the scraps so I can make a crazy quilt... I won't keep the clothes for forever.. alot of them just aren't my taste, and i know it, but the quilt i can keep always and wrap up in... so i'll be off in the quilting forume eventually.. lol. It's been half a year. and mom... Mom was sweet, kind, gentle, funny. So please don't get me wrong if I'm light hearted I think of her and it's hard not to laugh and smile because of just who she was and how she was. hard not to smile around her. i remember she's gone and then i cry. so I come across sort of weird about it. laughing because i remember mom's wonderfulness. while i'm talking about her not being around. sorry wrong forum. But mom is linked so closely with creativity in my mind. So this whole board's become a very frequent haunt for me. Thought about posting in interior decorating for help with organising her craft supplies, they boggle my mind, but was afraid it was just too depressing and screamed angst.. everyone's been so kind though.. i think i'm going to go take some photos of the mass craft chaos and post over there for organizational hints and help with it. everyone on this forum has been so kind..

again, thank you, sorry that the emotional nature of the post isn't really strictly in keeping with the forums. it's hard to separate the two for me right now since so much of it is motivated by missing mom.  again.. I'm sorry for anyone else who has lost a parent... and for whatever it is worth the empathy means alot to me.. thank you. It feels really lonely. but then you realise everyone's gone through horrible loss and you might feel lonely but it's part of being human. anyway. back to regularly scheduled crafting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008 11:19:29 AM »

They part you showed of her stash looks really well organized.
You might want to look at patterns for scrap quilts for putting lots of bits of her stuff in. Maybe start with a wall hanging if you haven't made a quilt before. If you want to tone down the florals you can cut the small pieces from it and big pieces from plaids or whatever you prefer. From the small pieces you can select the mostly green or red or white to use in anything. Maybe make some pieced bags or jackets.

You don't have to apologize to me.
Girls traditionally learn these things from their mothers. Girls naturally model themselves after their mothers. Most of us reject alot of pieces of our mothers as we go through our teens. But then we come back around.
I was lucky to know my mom for 50+ years. It was her time. She is at peace now but that doesn't stop me from missing her sometimes. I miss talking to her.
Losing a loved one is a wild roller coaster ride. It's hard to accept. I think it's a little easier if you see it coming. But it still hurts.
Sometimes when we see a loved one suffering we start to think the only way they are going to get relief is when they pass. Not that we want them gone.

You're going to be ok. Stick with us. Cry when you need to. Laugh when you can. Hopefully you'll be able to laugh most of the time and remember the best things about her. How about making a fabric scrapbook about her?

{{{Group HUG}}}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008 11:53:57 AM »

Sue- Very true... I'm 28 and lived with my mom until she died.. I kind of got the double whammy of we went through her cancer, she went into remission and there was much rejoicing and then she was hit by a truck while crossing the street on the way to work.. 2 years of being scared she'd die, take a deep breath and feel all right and the police showed up to tell me she was dead.. About learning things from mom's... that is so very true... My mom was always willing to help me sew, but I never was nearly as into it as she was. I'd lose patience and stalk off. I just never have had her patience with anything. But she was always willing. Was hard to reject much about her since she really was one of the dearest sweetest people ever. Aside from being my mom I loved her for just being good people. But you get a bit weird after someone dies. I was trying to sew a skirt with a buttonhole and burst out with, "How could she die without teaching me to do a buttonhole properly!!!!" yeah, feeling bereft at 28 because your mom failed to teach you to make a buttonhole, she usually did them for me Wink   I've made a few small quilted wall hangings before. Made a few patchwork pieces since she died for the organ transplant societies quilts... I am scrab booking some of her things, good idea, I'm going to work in fabric pieces too. thank you Sue....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blueberry and Banana Pie Recipe
How to Make Black Chocolate Truffles With Cointreau
How to Make Peppermint Cheesecake Ice Cream
How To Flute A Pie Crust
How to Make a Date and Toffee Pudding With Ultimate Toffee Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...