A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,854
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made cheese crackers!  (Read 3751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shelleibean
« on: July 17, 2008 03:12:55 PM »

Lately I've beenthinking that I could totally make all of my kids' favortire snacks- this way i could control what they eat a lot better and probably save some money in the long run.  they looovve little cheese crackers and usually I buy the Annie's Cheddar bunnies, but @ $3 a box ( a little box that they go through in less than a week), they're not so economical.I consulted the internet for ways to make my own crackers. I'm really surprised it never occurred to me before b/c it's so easy to do- and I found a few recipes.  I sort of combined a few to come up with these-

pre baking

I meant to show you the dough but completely forgot- however I have plans to make these same crackers but instead of cheese w/ cinnamon sugar, so i might remember then.

my recipe for cheese crackers-
2 1/2 cups flour ( all purpose, but next time I"m going to use white winter wheat, I just didn't have enough this time)
3/4 cup cool water
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
preheat over to 425 F
combine dry ingredients and cheese, whisk to combine.  Add all of the oil and 1/3 of the water, adding another 1/3 when the previous one in combined until the water is all gone.  Knead until it comes together to nice firmish dough.  when you have a nice dough ball, divide in 1/4 ths to make it easier to manage, roll out VERY VERY thin ( i tried my best but had some thicker than i wanted, they were just a bit chewier but still fine), cut  any way you want- w/ a pizza wheel you could make regular old rectangles  or you could use a cookies cutter like I did.  the baking time will vary depending on the shape you choose ( how large or small) but they are done when they are just barely golden on the edges.  I left mine in a bit longer than i probably should have- but I don't think it made too much of a difference. All i know is- my kids asked for more, which is more than can be said for the granola bars I made.

this recipe made more than 2 pounds of these 1 inch star shapes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pertelot
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008 03:21:27 PM »

those look rather yummy! what a good idea to make your own
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starairi

Lifelong crafter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008 03:27:21 PM »

Wow! That looks delicious!

I must try that recipe some time. I only wonder about the type of cheese... Here in Norway the cheddar is fairly "solid" and cannot simply be mixed in a dough. So I wonder if it really matters what kind of cheese you use. There's loads of other soft cheeses that I'd love to try in something like this.

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Passionate cosplayer and crafter.
TMommy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008 03:56:31 PM »

Thats awesome! I do the same thing with my boys, pretty much everything is made at home. Except when I need a break they get some processed food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008 04:02:29 PM »

I am guessing you are using shredded cheddar.  I only say that because that recipe is very similar to my swiss cracker recipe.  Biggest difference is shredded swiss to replace the cheddar.  My kids love it and I sometimes make them larger .. same thickness, just about 3 inches square and use them as a bread for peanut butter sandwiches ..family favorite!

Shade:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
charlamagne
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008 04:30:39 PM »

im definately favorite-ing this page, i WILL be making these
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008 04:33:20 PM »

I am also curious as to what kind of cheese you used.  Shredded cheddar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I like to craft and cook, come see...
My Blog

50 Projects in 2013
Lunanne

Being organized interferes with my creativity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008 05:20:48 PM »

This sounds so yummy! I'll have to try it, I love cheese crackers but I usually find commercial ones too salty so this is perfect. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

And your daughter is totally adorable!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Wisting can be addictive...

...so does Pinterest-ing!
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008 05:26:33 PM »

they look tasty!  Thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008 05:35:32 PM »

oops! yes i did use shredded cheddar. I guess i did that thing where I was thinking it but didn't actually say/type it and just sort of thought i had already. what? I'm the only one who does that?
thanks for the comments y'all- I think I'm going to try to make graham crackers tomorrow- I'll let you know how it goes!
Thats awesome! I do the same thing with my boys, pretty much everything is made at home. Except when I need a break they get some processed food.
that is awesome- I  really feel like I could make everything we like to eat, snack food wise- I mean someone was/is making the stuff, why not me? I wonder TMommy, do you ever make granola bars?
Here in Norway the cheddar is fairly "solid" and cannot simply be mixed in a dough. So I wonder if it really matters what kind of cheese you use. There's loads of other soft cheeses that I'd love to try in something like this.
yeah - in the US cheddar cheese is most definitely solid, you could use any kind of cheese i bet, as long as the pieces you mixed int he dough were small enough. I had some already shredded, so I just used that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008 06:21:15 PM by shelleibean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Design Colors
How to Decorate a Living Room
How to Get a Great Look
Do I Need Professional Design Help
How to Decorate a Half Bath
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...