A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Recipes Mini Swap Gallery of Goodies  (Read 8232 times)
Tags for this thread: challah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008 07:41:37 AM »

Recipe #1
Spaghetti with Lemon and Basil
cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup juice from 2 lemons
2 teaspoons grated zest from 1 lemon
1 small garlic clove, minced to a paste
Salt
2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
Ground black pepper
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
cup shredded fresh basil leaves

1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.  Meanwhile, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, and teaspoon salt together in a small bowl, then stir in the parmesan cheese until thick and creamy; set aside.

2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the spaghetti into the boiling water and cook, stirring often, until the pasta is al dente.  Reserve cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.  Stir in the olive oil mixture, butter, and basil, and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, adding the reserved pasta cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce.
----
Tender Focaccia
2 cups boiling water
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
cup potato flour or 1/3 cup potato flakes
cup nonfat dry milk
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 to 3 tablespoons to grease the pan and the surface of the dough
to teaspoon kosher salt, sea salt, or fleur de sel, for topping

Put the hot water and 2 cups of the flour in a large bowl and beat for several minutes to develop a smooth batter.  If you have the time, add 1/8 teaspoon yeast once the batter has cooled to lukewarm, and set the sponge aside for several hours or overnight/ this helps develop flavor in the finished loaf, as well as the soft interior texture.

Whisk the potato flour with the remaining flour, dry milk, yeast, and salt.  Add this to the batter a little at a time, while continuing to beat.  Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Beat, by hand with a large spoon or with the paddle attachment of a mixer set at medium speed, for 8 to 10 minutes, changing to a cough hook when the dough begins to hold together.

After the dough has become smooth and shiny, put it in an oiled bowl, cover it with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise for 30 minutes.

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a 12- or 14-inch round pan, or 1 tablespoon olive oil into each of two 8-inch round pans.  Place the dough in the oiled pan(s), gently stretching it to fit.  Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, then stretch it out a little more.  At this point you may refrigerate the dough in the pan(s), tightly covered, for up to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Just before baking the focaccia, dimple it with your fingers, brush it with a little olive oil, and sprinkle it with coarse salt or a few sprigs of fresh herb.  Bake the focaccia for 25 to 30 minutes, until its deep brown all over.  Remove it from the pan(s) and cool it for 15 minutes before eating.  Serve with flavored olive oil, or split for sandwiches.
----
Blueberry Grunt
Fruit:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice (if the berries arent tart)
1 quart blueberries (or other berries), cleaned

Dough:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup buttermilk (When I made this, it worked fine with regular milk and a tiny amount of vinegar)

Blend the water, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a skillet and stir in the blueberries.  Bring to a gentle boil over low heat.

While the blueberries are heating, blend the dry dough ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  Rub in the butter with your fingertips.  Quickly stir in the buttermilk.

Drop the dough in blobs over the blueberry mixture.  Cover and cook over low heat until the biscuit dough is done, about 15 minutes.  To serve, scoop up the berries and a biscuit and invert on a plate, so that the berries fall over the biscuit.  Spoon extra berry mixture over the biscuit.
----
Pictures!!!

I received from lindyv321, yesterday.  I'm so happy!!  She sent a bunch of awesome magnets in a decorated tin.  Here are the pictures:

First, the tin.  I love how she decorated it  Smiley

and now, here is are the square magnets.  My favorite is the small one with the salt and pepper shakers on it  Grin.

and here are the round magnets (a couple of square ones found their way into that picture  Tongue ).  I love the variety of food-ie pictures that lindyv321 put in the magnets.  They're great!

She also sent a postcard from where she lives, which was great  Smiley

Thanks lindyv321, this has been an awesome swap!  Grin Grin

ETA: You can see some of the magnets more clearly in this photo. Yay!:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 08:27:14 AM by CrochetNinja » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008 05:18:44 PM »

So, to start with: thanks to JoJo for such an amazing package!! I came home so tired and this perked up my day  Grin

(sorry the pics are soooo huge)

This is what I came home to. Woohooo!!

Group Shot!! Sorry its sideways  Undecided  So, assuming its rightside up, clockwise: Craftster recipes (you must have amazing patience!!), the recipe box, the dividers, and the box lid.

close up of the insanely cute and mega awesome recipe box with its lid and dividers!!!

Jojo, thank you so much!! I looooove them  Kiss  Grin You were such a fantastic partner! Hugs!

My goodness- everyone's recipes sound so tasty! Especially the pimento cheese, i can't wait to try that one! Okay- I'm not very good at creating my own recipes, but I'm very loyal to the ones I find that are really good, and I love to share them.

I found this one on the Homesick Texan's blog (I forgot to grab the link, but she's very easy to Google). She has some amazing recipes- and I was craving some homemade pickles without all the fuss.

Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Ingredients:
6 Kirby cucumbers, cleaned, stemmed and halved, lengthwise
1/2 cup of white vinegar
2 tablespoons of salt
1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of fresh dill

Method:
Place salt, peppercorns, coriander seeds, garlic and dill in a sterilized 1-quart Mason jar.
Layer sliced cucumbers in jar, leaving 1/2 inch at the top.
Pour in vinegar.
Fill jar with water, seal with lid and shake for about a minute.
Refrigerate for six days, shaking daily.

Makes 1-quart jar of dill pickles. This simple recipe, however, can easily be multiplied.

**I like a really strong pickle, so personally I loved the garlic in here, and that there's no sugar. Obviously you could adjust the seasonings to taste. I've seen several recipes also include hot sauce or red pepper flakes if you like a spicy pickle.**

This is one I'd already posted- but I thought I'd replicate it here, just as an added bonus (I'll still post 2 more). It really is a fantastic recipe, especially if you like fall flavors.

"PUMPKIN CRISP" RECIPE!

1 15 oz.     canned pumpkin puree*
1 c.            sugar
1 c.            evaporated milk
1 tsp.         vanilla
1 tsp.         cinnamon
1 8.25 oz.   butter yellow cake mix
1 c.            chopped pecans
1/2 c.         melted butter (1 stick)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except pecans, cake mix and butter. Spread in a lightly buttered 9x13 baking dish. Distribute dry cake mix (make sure this is a "butter yellow" mix, not an ordinary yellow cake mix.
They are NOT the same and it will make all the difference in your end product!!) in an even layer over entire surface of pumpkin mix. Top with even layer of pecans (I like to use more than a cup) and drizzle melted butter over surface. Bake for 30- 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Keep a close eye after 25 minutes, the nuts can burn quickly.

*You can use a 30 oz can of pumpkin if you wish. It will give you a thicker layer of filling, and add extra vanilla and cinnamon to compensate. You don't have to add any extra evaporated milk. You can also combine one egg into the pumpkin mix if you prefer a more custard-like filling. Just make sure you bake it thoroughly to cook the egg. If the top is browning too quickly (a.k.a. burning...) cover with foil while baking.

My sister's copy says to top with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground nutmeg- I used a box of DreamWhip and mixed the nutmeg in with that. (It was like fluffy eggnog- yummy!  ) and served in a bowl on the side. Super tasty!

Sorry its so late!! My final recipe! These are really kind of cheating, since you're using canned products, but its a tasty, filling meal when you need one fairly quick.

SOUR CREAM CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

3-4 cups  Cooked chicken (or turkey), shredded or cut into 1/2 inch chunks
7 oz.  Can chopped ortega style chiles
16 oz.  Sour cream
1 can  Cream of chicken soup
3 cups  Shredded jack or cheddar cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
10  Flour tortillas

Mix ortega chiles, 3/4 of sour cream (save rest for garnish) and soup. Then take approximately 1/4th of this mixture and mix with cut up chicken. Fill flour tortillas with a scoop of chicken mixture and handful of cheese. Roll enchilada style. Take another 1/4th of sauce mixture and spread in bottom of greased baking pan. Place enchiladas on sauce. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and cover baking pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired.

**This would of course be easy to dress up should you want to. That's the great thing about the super easy recipes- lots of room for experimenting!!**

Hey, ladies- I just found these in an old issue of GH and they look too tasty not to share them. And the Apple recipe will be great for fall!!

CHERRY BROWNIE CHEESECAKE

1 8 oz. Fudge Brownie Mix
4 eggs
3 Tbsp. oil
cup mini chocolate chips
3 pkgs cream cheese, room temp.
cup sugar
1 can cherry pie filling (Lucky Leaf brand is recommended, probably because its their advertisement  Roll Eyes )
whipped topping, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-in springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine brownie mix, one egg and oil. Fold in chocolate pieces, and spread evenly in bottom of pan. Bake for 10-12 min. or until set. In a large bowl beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until smooth. Add remaining eggs and beat just until combined. Mound half the can of cherries into the middle of brownie, leaving 2 inch edges around the outside. Spoon cream cheese mixture over the entire surface, spreading evenly to edges of pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until center is set but not too firm. Cool in pan for 1 hour. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Top cheesecake with remaining cherries. Garnish with whipped topping, if desired. Makes 8-10 servings.

luckyleaf.com

APPLE OAT MUFFINS

2 c. quick oats, uncooked
1 c. AP flour
c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
tsp. baking soda
tsp. salt
tsp ground cinnamon
1 c. buttermilk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
1 c. shredded apples (1-2 med. apples)
c. walnuts, chopped

Preheat to 400 degrees. Grease standard 12 muffin tin. in large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon.
In med. bowl, beat buttermilk oil and egg by hand until well blended, then stir in apples. Combine wet and dry mixes, stirring just until dry mix is moistened. (Batter will be very thick and lumpy.) Add walnuts. Spoon batter into muffins tins, filling each full. Bake 23-25 min. or until muffins begin to brown and toothpick test is clean. Immediately remove muffins from pan. Serve warm or cooled.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008 09:18:43 PM by when_im_sixty4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
handbaghannah83
Cooking and Scrapbooking= <3 LOVE <3

Dont just dream it.....Believe it!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008 02:23:40 PM »

Here we go!! Ive compiled a list of family favorites so I hope yall enjoy!

COCONUT AMBROSIA

2 cups mandarin orange slices, drained
2 cups crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups sour cream
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups mini marshmallows

In large bowl, mix all ingredient together gently
Chill and Serve!!

APPLE BERRY SALSA WITH BAKED CINNAMON CHIPS

FOR SALSA
2 medium Grannysmith Apples (peeled, cored, and coarsly chopped)
1 pint strawberries, diced
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1 small orange
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons Apple jelly or Apricot Jam

Place apples and kiwi in bowl and set aside.
Zest orange to measure about 1 teaspoon zest.
Juice orange to measure 2 tablespoons juice.
Add zest, juice, sugar and jam/jelly to fruit, mixing gently.
Refridgerate until ready to serve

FOR BAKED CINNAMON CHIPS

8 flour tortillas
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray tortillas with water. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over tortillas.
Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges arranging into single layers on cookie sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are lightly browned and crisp.
Cool completely before serving with Apple Berry Salsa.

AUNT LUCY'S BEEF TOMATO SUPPER

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 29 ounce can tomatoe sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning mix
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups uncooked pasta (we use the small shells, but feel free to use any other small pasta that you would like)

In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
Brown the meat in the oil, breaking it up with a fork as it cooks.
When browned, add in the onion and bell pepper; cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the pasta.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
Stir in pasta and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
Let stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.

GRANNY'S APPLE CRISP

6 Grannysmith Apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
8 graham crackers, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)

Place apples in a deep, non-metal baking dish (one that will fit into your microwave)
In mixing bowl combine all other dry ingredients, mixing together.
Add melted butter/margarine to dry ingredients, mixing well.
Sprinkle crumb mixture over apples.
Microwave on HIGH for 14-16 minutes, or until apples are tender.
Cool slightly, serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream if desired.

ENJOY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 06:12:31 PM by handbaghannah83 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008 01:25:10 PM »

This is the cute crocheted cup-o-joe I received from macreede.

Here are 2 recipes so far.  I have to seek out the other one I wanted to post
                  *CORRECTION-omitted from original post
                                 as of 9-27-08
CARROT CAKE
                                                                  1 C. crushed walnuts
1 1/3 C. sugar                                                2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 C. cold water                                            pinch salt
1/2 C. grated carrots                                      *2 cups flour
*1 C. raisins*
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon

Boil ingredients in the first column, slowly, for 5 minutes.  Cool.  Never use warm.
Then mix ingredients from 2nd column with the cooled mixture.  Blend well.  Pour into ungreased 2 lb size loaf pan.  (My sister doubles the recipe and uses a glass lasagna pan)
Bake 1 1/4 hrs @ 350 deg or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This is a really good cake.  My sister experimented once and diced up celery very, ver fine and put it in cake.  Now she does it all the time, it takes like like pieces of citron and makes the cake moist.  It tastes something like an applesauce spice cake.

ZUCCHINI OR BANANA BREAD

3 eggs                                               1 tsp. salt
2 C. sugar                                          1 tsp. baking soda
1 C. oil                                               1 tsp. baking powder
2 C. grated zucchini or mashed banana    1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. vanilla extract                             1/2 c   chopped walnuts      3 c flour                                                                                                                                           1/2 C. raisins

Mix eggs, sugar, oil, zucchini (or banana) and vanilla extract well.  Add flour, salt, baking pdr., baking soda and cinnamon;  stir until blended.  Add walnuts and raisins. Pour into 2 greased and floured medium sized (1 lb.) loaf pans.  Bake for approximately 1 to 1/4 hrs., or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Note:  You may substitute the equivalent amount of artificial sweetener instead of sugar.  It may not rise as much, but it will still taste good.

Several years ago, I made this for a group of women.  I divided the dough in 1/2 before I added sugar.  I then put 1/2 the sugar in one batch and sweet and low for the equiv of 1/2 the sugar in the other, and baked 2 loaves in small 1 lb. loaf pans. The artificially sweetened cake may not rise as much, but it still comes out good. The women liked them both.
Here are more recipes:

Easy Sweet Noodle Pudding

12 oz. wide noodles                   1 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar                              4 well beaten eggs
3/4 c raisins                             1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 tsp cinnamon                      3/4 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Cook noodles as directed: drain.  Add sugar, raisins, (nuts,) salt and eggs.  Mix well.  Melt the fat in a pan about 8 X 12 or 9 X 12.  Grease the pan and pour the rest of the melted fat into the noddle mixture and blend well.  Spread mixture in the baking pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Bake in moderate oven 375 deg for 55 minutes or until slightly browned on top.

Spinach Quiche  (This is delicious)

1 lb. muenster cheese                1 small onion, chopped
5 eggs                                     10-12 oz skim ricotta cheese
2 pkg frozen chopped spinach,      salt & pepper to taste
   thawed and drained
Grease the bottom of a lasagna pan with butter or margarine (I like to use glass one).  Line the baking dish with half of the muenster cheese as the bottom crust.  Mix the remaining ingredients together and spread the filling over the muenster cheese.  Tp with the remaining muenster cheese forming the top crust.  Bake @ 375 for 30 minutes or until egg mixture set.

Vegetarian Chopped Liver

4-5 hard cooked eggs                         1/4 c finely chopped walnuts
1 15 oz can french style string beans     1 TB  (olive) oil
1 lge onion                                         salt & pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet and saute the onions over low heat until carmelized, about 10-20 minutes.  Chop the string beans in a food processor with the eggs, using the on/off or pulsing button.  (I use my electric mixer and it works out fine.)  Combine the vegetable/egg mixture with the onions and nuts and season.  Makes a nice spread for hors doevres.  Keeps well in the fridge or can be frozen, so I'm told.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008 07:25:57 AM by mamarose22 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
mamarose22
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008 03:43:28 PM »

I posted my 3 recipes, plus two more.  Enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
macreede
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008 08:13:31 PM »

Ro-Tell Chicken
1 lb Velveeta Cheese
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can Ro-Tel
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 bag Doritos

Preheat oven to 350.  Melt cheese,soup, and Ro-Tel in saucepan.  Crumble chips on bottom of baking dish.  Add chicken to cheese mixture, then pour over chips.  Crumble chips on top, then bake at 350 for about 15 min. or until cheese is bubbly.

Manicotti

Sauce 2 lb sausage
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. parsley
1 1/2 tbsp. basil
1/4 to 1/2 tbsp. oregano
2 cans unsalted tomatoes
1 14oz can tomato sauce
1 8oz can tamato paste
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper

While browning sausage add garlic cloves.  After browning drain grease and all ingredients for the sauce into a stock pot and let simmer.  The longer it simmers on low the better the sauce or it can be done quickly if need be.

Stuffing

1 or 2 1 lb Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese (which ever is preferred)
3 eggs
2 tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients in bowl and set aside.  In a 9 x 11 baking dish spread a little of the sauce on the bottom of the dish.  Open manicotti noodles and begin putting the stuffing into the noodles and placing into the dish.  After filling dish with noodles spread the sauce over the top of the noodles and place into oven for 1 hour.

Peanut Butter Pie

1 (7 1/2 oz) jar creamy peanut butter
1 (3 oz pkg.) cream cheese
2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip
1 graham cracker crust

Beat all ingredients together and place in graham cracker shell.  Refrigerate.  Top with cool whip.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008 01:10:53 PM by macreede » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aml
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008 12:16:23 PM »

I got the cutest mini mitts from perlabella:

and action shot:

perfect for my pots with steel handles!

Thank you so much!

APPLE - WINE - TARTE

shortcrust-pastry
100g  (a bit less than 1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter
100g  (1/2 cup) sugar
8g      (1/2 tbsp) vanilla sugar (equals 1-2 tbsp. vanilla extract)
200g  (1 2/3 cup) flour
1 egg

Mix together to a shortcrust pastry dough. First using a mixer, or a food processor, then kneeding the dough.

Roll out pastry, wrap around rolling pin and gently ease into springform pan, pressing into the base and side of the tin.
Preheat oven to 200C/400F

filling
1 kg (2 pounds) slightly sour apples
Peel, core and quarter apples. Put them on top of the dough.

1 bottle (0,75l) white whine
250g  (1 1/4 cup) sugar
2 pkg   vanilla pudding mix

Cook pudding after instructions, substituting the milk with the wine, pour over the apples.

Bake for 40 minutes, covering the tarte for the last minutes with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
Cool to room temperature.

toppings
flaked almonds.
Roast the flaked almonds in a pan. Double the amount you think you need, so there are any left, when decorating.

1/4l  (1/2 cup) cream
1-2   "whip-it"  -- cream stiffener/stabilizer

Whip cream with "whip-it" and sugar/vanilla sugar to your liking. Put on top of the tarte, decorate with roasted almonds
(The "whip-it" is not absolutely necessary, but it keeps the cream from running on hot days)

I included some links to Dr. Oetker to clarify the meaning of some of the products used. I'm not sure, whether they are as common in the US as they are in Germany. That does not mean that Dr.Oetker is the only firm that produces them in the US.

CLAFOUTIS AUX CERISES (cherry clafoutis)

350g    (3/4 lb.) sour cherries, stoned

(if you use preserved ones, drain them good)

for the batter
4       eggs
100g    (4/5 cup) plain flour (7 tbsp)
90g      (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
250ml  (1cup)     milk 

Beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork and add the flour. Whisk in the granulated sugar and milk.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Grease a 20cm/8" diameter, 5cm/2" deep ovenproof dish. Spread the cherries in the bottom, then pour the batter over them.

Place in the oven, bake for 35 minutes.
Serve warm (accompanied with vanilla icecream after liking Smiley )

BRAISED CUCUMBERS

(serves 4)

2  cucumbers
1  onion
1-2 tbsp  instant bouillon powder
1/2 lb  diced bacon

1/2+ cup  sour cream
2-3 tbsp  tomato paste

Peel cucumbers, cut lengthwise and scrape the seedy part out with a spoon, set aside in a bowl.
Cut the cucumber into large dices.

In a large skillet/pot, on high heat, melt some butter/heat up some oil. Fry the onions and the bacon. Add the cucumber pieces and the liquid from the seedy part of the cucumbers. Sprinkle with the instant bouillon powder. The bottom of the pot should be covered with liquid about 1cm/ 3/4" of liquid, if not, add some water.

Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes at medium heat, stir occasionally. Add any more liquid, that might have accumulated in the bowl with the seedy part.
Season with sour cream and tomato paste. Serve with tomatoes.

All measurements are just meant to be guidelines, as this is a recipe of my gran and she would use whatever she had at hand. I have to admit, that I do that, too. You can also add/substitute tomatoes, peppers etc.

SIOUX LOOKOUT'S STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD

Salad
1 pkg spinach
1-2 cups sliced strawberries

Clean spinach und strawberries. Mix in bowl. Set aside.

Dressing
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar (or twice as much red wine vinegar)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 green onion - finely chopped

Combine all ingredients in a container with lid. Shake well before serving.
Can be made up a day or two in advance.

Almonds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp water

Combine all ingredients in a non-stick frying pan or pot. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until melted sugar turns golden brown and coats almonds (approx. 5-10 minutes). Turn out on piece of greased foil. Cool an break into small pieces.
Double the almond recipe so that the time the salad ist ready to serve, therell be some almonds left.

Assembly

Add almond pieces to salad. Add dressing just before serving.
Can be made with a combination of spinach and romain using fresh raspberries or a smaller amount of strawberries and mandarin oranges, kiwi, or blueberries.

alternative Dressing
if you dontt have raspberry vinegar

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 green onion - chopped

Combine all ingredients in a container with lid. Shake well before serving.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008 08:16:33 AM by aml » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimberlyPye
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008 07:49:23 AM »

Recipe box from koalascout:

The back of the box:

Plastic bag holder from koalascout:

Vegan Chocolate Cake

1.5 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c vegan sugar
1/4 c  unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white or cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 c water
confectioner's sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease and flour 8-in sq. pan only if you plan to unmold the cake before serving.

Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, cocoa, and salt in the pan (a bowl works fine, too, then you can pour it all in the pan at once). Level ingredients, then make three holes in the flour mixture. Pour vinegar in one hole, vanilla in another, and oil in the remaining one. Pour water over all. With a table fork, stir mixture very well, making sure to mix bottom and corners of pan. Batter should be almost smooth. Bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before turning out of pan if you are going to do so. When cake is completely cool, dust with confectioner's sugar (or make some other tasty glaze).

~~~

Maple Cinnamon Glazed Almonds
(from http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com)

1 c raw almonds
1/4 c maple syrup
1 tbsp cinnamon

"Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Throw a silpat or a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet to prevent the nuts from sticking to the bottom and thusly burning. I prefer using a silpat because it creates less waste, but use whatever youve got.

"Throw all ingredients into a small bowl and combine thoroughly, being sure to coat all the almonds completely in the syrup and spice. Spread evenly in one layer on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Shake around a bit to flip them over and make sure they arent sticking too badly. Bake for another 5 minutes or more, until they turn a slightly darker brown or smell nutty. Careful now - Nuts go from lovely golden to steaming turd in no time flat.

"Remove from the oven and immediately take off of sheet, or they will continue to cook. Allow to cool and store in an air tight container."

~~~

Yeast-Free Applesauce Pizza Crust

2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 c water
1/4 c apple sauce

Mix all ingredients. Knead on floured surface until spreadable. Apply toppings, bake at 425*F for about 20 minutes.

(Notice the apple sauce takes the place of oil, so it's fat free! It's very soft and delicious!)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 09:37:33 AM by KimberlyPye » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hotfudge
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008 01:31:28 PM »

Received from RondaS today.  She crocheted a lovely plastic bag holder for my kitchen.  Thank you Ronda!  Here's a pic of the whole thing, with a close-up of the bottom with a plastic bag coming out (as intended).

*Lemon Lush*
This is really a perfect summertime dessert.

1st layer
1 cup flour
1 cube butter
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
(double ingredients if you prefer a thicker crust - I do)

Blend like a pie crust and press into a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes - cool.

2nd layer
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup cool whip
1 cup powdered sugar
(I also double this layer)

Blend and pour over cooled crust.

3rd layer
1 or 2 pkgs prepared instant lemon pudding (# of pkgs is preference)

Pour over cream layer.

Chill at least an hour.  "Frost" with cool whip and serve.

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is one of my husband's favorite cookie recipes.

2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
2 eggs
2 cups quick oats
1 bag chocolate chips

Mix ingredients and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Frosted Pumpkin Cookies

I've had this recipe since 1st grade - very yummy

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butterscotch chips

Mix ingredients and spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

Frosting
3 Tbsp butter
4 tsp milk
1/2 cup brown sugar

Cook in saucepan until sugar dissolves.  Let cool, then stir in 1 cup powdered sugar and 3/4 tsp vanilla. 
Frost cookies while hot.

Roasted Rosemary Potato Salad

don't remember where I got this recipe, but it's a tasty change from your standard potato salad

2 1/2 pound tiny new red potatoes, halved or quartered
1 medium red onion, cut in wedges
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp snipped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
3 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 450.  Combine potatoes, onion, 2 Tbsp olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.  Toss potato mixture to coat well; arrange in a single layer in a greased shallow roasting pan.  Roast, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring twice.  Transfer roasted potatoes to a large bow.
In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and 2 Tbsp olive oil.  Pour over roasted potatoes, add peppers, and toss gently to coat.  Sprinkle with pine nuts.

*I've made it with halved grape tomatoes (roasted with the potatoes) and that was yummy

Chicken, cashew and green chile pizza
I make the best pizza around - just ask my hubby.  This is a fave that I make up and give to the kids teachers on the last day of school as a take and bake.

Pizza Dough
1 cup water
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp powdered milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp yeast

Mix in bread machine on dough setting, or in stand mixer.

Roll out and top with your fave sauce, chicken sauteed with a bit of garlic/salt/pepper, cashew pieces and canned green chiles.  Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 04:04:27 PM by hotfudge » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bezoona
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008 01:35:54 PM »

Hi all, I'm sharing a random collection of recipes:

This may SOUND weird, but try it, you will LOVE it...its a bit wintery, but mmmmm....tastes great with toasted bread or crackers

Hot Shrimp "Dip"

* 1 pound peeled shrimp
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    * 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I personally never add this)
    * 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (or this Cheesy )
    * 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Dice up everything, including the shrimp, place into a baking dish, add the cheese and mix. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Serve with toasted baguette or crackers.

Since I don't think anyone put a sangria recipe:

White Peach Sangria

*  1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry white wine
    * 3/4 cup peach flavored vodka
    * 6 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
    * 1/4 cup white sugar
    * 1 pound white peaches, pitted and sliced
    * 3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
    * 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved

In a large pitcher or bowl, combine white wine, peach vodka, lemonade concentrate and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced peaches, red and green grapes.
Refrigerate sangria until well chilled, at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight to get the BEST flavor.Serve and watch out, its potent!

Muttabal - Eggplant dip (similar to baba ganough)

1 large eggplant
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of "Tehina" (Sesame seed paste, you can find it at most grocery stores in the international aisle)
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
salt and olive oil to taste

Place the eggplants under the grill for 30 minutes, until the skin is almost burnt. In the meantime, mix the two tablespoons of Tehina (sesame seed paste) with the lemon juice until it becomes a smooth light beige uniform paste. Remove the eggplants, and place them on a plate. Remove the inside of the eggplants and place them in a dish. The insides of the eggplant will be slightly watery, so mix it with a fork which would at the same time cut it into smaller pieces, almost a paste though not uniform in any way. Add the Tehina paste and mix well with the fork. Crush the garlic cloves with the chili pepper and add to the mixture. Mix well. Add salt and olive oil to taste.
You can also use a food processor if you prefer it to be a bit creamier.

I really wanted to post more middle eastern recipes but I have no idea about measurements or anything, just eyeballing everything, how terrible!

I just received a beautifully made potholder/trivet from my awesome partner myklia. I apologize in advance for the horrible webcam photos because my camera is already packed as I'm leaving in a few minutes...the colors do not show up as true, they are gorgeous colors of pale blue, green, apple green, and white. Its just precious and I love it!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 12:00:59 PM by bezoona » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Tristan Eaton Recycles Garbage Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...